Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci fi environment (work in progress)

So for school we are working on a capstone.I am working on a sci fi themed environment (original I know) anyways its still early and I figured it is time to post it up and get some crits and suggestions.I'll post updates as i go

screenshotlt.jpg

Replies

• psychoticprankster
    Love that screen shot, looks awesome, just like the place where arch angel was hanging out on omega in mass effect.
  • StevenEgan
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice. Lighting is very good... sets the mood well.
  • Rated Rrr
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    dig'n this as well, definitely getting a mix of KOTOR and Mass Effect. What were you planning on doing with this scene?

Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Snowman
    Thanks for the comments.Basically with this I am just looking to get a solid environment out of this for my portfolio.I have never really tackled Sci-fi before so I really wanted to give it a shot.

Right now we have like 4 major projects on the go so I mean this is going to be interesting to see where this heads with 3 weeks till it is due on top of other things

I still need to get some more lighting in this need to get some nice atmosphere going here too.There is abit more to this environment this was just part of it right now the roof will have a large open skylight and as the ceiling starts to take shape I hope to get some nice shadows and such casting on the floor.

plus pretty much just need to busy up the scene more as well looking a little empty so i should have an update possibly this weekend

Still alot of work to go but I am confident it will turn out good and hopefully some good crits and suggestions will help along the way.
  • Snowman
    Alright abit of an update its kind of a small one but I have been working on some other projects but I have gotten a few more things in some of the texturing is in different stages.

Any critiques are welcome

layout2g.jpg

layout3a.jpg
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    dear god please increase the lighting. it is possible to create mood without pure darkness i can't see what going on.
  • madmuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking very nice so far, like the style.
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    cant see it well tho, add more lights
  • gsokol
    Lighting is too dark.

What is the purpose of this scene...is this place used? or is it abandoned? Your lighting should reflect that.

Is that a sunlight on the ceiling? If it is..why is no light coming in?

Its hard to see, but from the first shot we can see hanging ceiling lights..I would expect those to be brighter, and not just be glowing red circles. They don't need such a big housing for such a small light.
  • Snowman
    Ok so I will address a few things.This is nowhere close to final lighting is just in there right now to get an idea I am still in the process of getting things in.I agree it's too dark so I have lighted it up abit so everyone can see what is going on in the scene.

The ceiling is up and I plan on getting lighting coming in and casting properly on the floor again its just temp so I can get an idea.The area is part of a space terminal it is a lobby area kind of an area that connects other areas as you would come in.

The hanging lights aren't hanging yet lol and I plan to have the casting light with some nice volumetric lighting but thats something for later on near the end.

So I took a few more screens just with some lighting being cranked up abit and I also included some with no post process on so you can see a few things.I may have shown it as it was kinda nearing completion but its very much still WIP.

Thanks for the comments its always appreciated and keep them coming.

whitecc.jpg

sitting.jpgsitting.jpg

sideuz.jpg

doorv.jpg

backwall.jpg

sitting2.jpg

ceil.jpg
    Here is kind of a paint over of some ideas I had

paintr.jpg
    sitting.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice, I really like the clean sci-fi look you have going on very much like Mass Effect although I havent played the game. It seems the floor space is kind of empty as I look I feel like there should be more perhaps signs well like digital/ holgraphic displays that provide information of some sort, have a image in my head of it. I agree that you should add those pipes in. Are your textures hand painted?
  • Drumonman
    Coming along nicely J-bone.

I want to check er out in class Monday, curious to see how you've set up material for the holo-sign.

Keep at er, almost a month left!
  • Snowman
    Ok so I got a little more time in on this I plan on hitting it hard this weekend here is a small update.I need to still get some variation going on in here for the foliage alot are obviously duplicated just to get an idea but I plan to put more in.

I also need to get some smaller props in which should be coming soon enough also played around with a little more lighting but still figuring out where I want to take it.

beauty01e.jpg

beauty02.jpg

Health Kit prop on the wall threw some quick lights on it

hkit.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking good, seeing alot of masseffect in there which isnt a bad thing

dont bring up you entire lighting, add more contrast, and by that i mean reduce you ambients a touch and make more of the central spot light, why not focus them (point them) a touch on the seating area to focus the scene around it more, quick fiddle with some levels and an overlayed spot on the centre...

paintover-11.jpg
  • Snowman
    Thanks for the suggestion I can definitely see what you mean and agree the scene definitely needs more contrast.
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    This is turning out great. Love it. Keep up the good work.
  • duxun
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice paintover SHEPEIRO, That lighting would make the scene pop a lot more.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    wow, i really like this a lot !
  • Snowman
    ok so here is more of an update I am still working away on this but I mean there is always room for crits.If its showing too dark mention it i've been having a heck of a time working in two different places some say its light some say its dark.

looker.jpg

looker2.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice improvement..keep it up!
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Why is the logo on the health kit so scratched to bits? nothing else in the scene makes it fit.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    make a nice blurry cube map and get some nice soft reflections on that brushed metal, will really help the POP

i tend to make three cubes 1 sharpe 1 medium and one super blurred apply them to the relevant glossy materials

fairly expensive but looks ace
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Lookin nice man!