Home General Discussion

Seeking roommate in Austin

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
I will be driving to Austin, TX in late March. I have some friends that are allowing me to couch surf for a few weeks while I find a source of income. Once that is secured, I will be searching for a room to stay in.

I'm looking for like-minded folks, artists and gamers, while I use my time to improve my portfolio and earn my spot at a local studio, and perhaps attend classes.

I'm trying to find low rent, $400 or less if possible. Preferably a house, with a yard, patio, etc. I'm very clean, considerate, and organized. I can cook. I will not do your laundry or wash your car in a bikini...that IS negotiable. I'd prefer a non-smoker, or someone who smokes outside. I'm ok with animals...as long as I don't wake up in the middle of the night petting your snake.

Please, no druggies, furries, LARPers, emos, fangbangers, otherkins, guidos, gay cowboys, etc.

Rapists are ok. :thumbup:

If you're looking to share an apartment, or have a room available for mid April, or have any questions about me, feel free to reply or PM.

This is my blog. F U!

Replies

• DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Man, why would you wanna leave NC? I'm doing everything in my power to GET there :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Man, why would you wanna leave NC? I'm doing everything in my power to GET there :)

because the market here is tight with only a handful of studios here, both big and small... but things are still rough... lots of people unemployed, just like everywhere else... lots of people trying to break in.... trust me... and everybody is trying to make it by.

Good luck Elysium.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Damn that sucks, I always thought NC was the Silicon Valley of games.... Oh well, it's still an awesome state!

Elysium, stupid question but did you check Craigslist?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth: NC isn't that great for the job market atm. Otherwise, it's a great state. Very pretty, clean, and nice people. Lots of trees. No diversity of game genres, and aside from Epic games, there isn't much going on to talk about. The community is very small, and only grows if the words "Epic" and "free beer" are mentioned. I was with Atomic when the layoffs hit. I've tried for QA at Epic, but they hire through a recruiting agency, which is never fun. After looking around and talking with many of my friends in the industry here, there isn't much going on in comparison to other locations.

Aside from that, I've been living in NC my whole life, and was unwilling to leave until now. I want a change of scenery. I've visited TX many times, and enjoyed it. I've had good responses from studios in TX for entry level jobs...but it seems like not being a local was a disadvantage.

I'm looking through Craigslist. Just giving a heads up here, since I'll be hoping to get introduced to the community quickly.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah. Texas has a nice, low cost of living too.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    it's tough here in texas too, so don't think just the move will get you a job. Would hate to see you move cross country to run into the same problems. I know quite a few people still looking in Austin and in Dallas. :(
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    As a former Raleigh, NC resident: Texas is warmer, red neck'ier and cheaper to live.

Plano is yuppie than the rest of Dallas. Dallas has a nice collection of game studios, I75 is a death trap! Austin feels younger, tons of bands playing everyday, less yuppie, Rudy's BBQ, nice amount of game studios also.

I miss being 3 hours close to the Ocean living in Raleigh.

Looking forward to seeing ya again Will :)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    ElysiumGX good luck with your move. I hope you find what you want.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's tough here in texas too, so don't think just the move will get you a job. Would hate to see you move cross country to run into the same problems.

No, not at all. I expect I'll be doing part time jobs for a while. Waiting tables, delivering pizza, working a produce department...whatever. I'll get to know the area and people well.

While my ultimate goal is to get into production, I have a good depth of QA experience. I've gotten replies from studios in the Austin-Dallas area, but they mostly only intend to hire locals in that department. I was told years ago that QA is the foot in the door. But my last two QA jobs were a dead end. I wasn't given the opportunity to move up before things went wrong.

And if I don't have any luck...Austin sounds like a great place anyway. I love live music and warm weather.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    Good luck man!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this to say I'm now in Austin. Let's have with the sex.