Home Technical Talk

Blurring maps in 3ds max?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone,

Can anyone recommend a map for max (2010) that will let me blur other maps in a material?

Cheers...

Replies

• SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, I'm not on Max 2010, but should be the same. In the Bitmap map type, you got a Blur parameter (rollout: Coordinates, on the lower left corner) you can define for every image file. It is set to 1.0 by default, if you increase it, the map will be blurred in render.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Did you mean a material type that allows blurring of all sub maps, like a global control? Haven't seen anything like that but you can use blur and blur offset in all map slots of a shader.
    tut02_05.jpg
  • ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    I'm using the tile map to mask different regions in my terrain heightmap (using it in brick mode with holes). The warp map lets me randomize the edges so they don't look so square, but they're still very hard. Unfortunately the blue on the tile map doesn't work very well...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painting a mask by hand will take you much less time than fiddling with a procedural mask like Tiles, and you'll get better results IMHO. You can also then use the Blur Offset to soften it if you like.