Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
octokitty polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys! So this is my first post to this site... Im mostly low poly modeler/texture artist, and I just finished my demo reel and would really like some feedback. Here is the link to the video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ow4rTQpx08[/ame]

Thanks!

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Well, the poly distribution in your Rizzo character seems uneven. The body has a TON of tri's. Almost seems needless. But the tail barely has any. Also, if he is rigged, why don't you animated him in your reel? Give him an idle pose/stance. Make him breathe. Give him life, makes it much more interesting to look at.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea... that character started as low poly, but as a class project, i had to subdivide him. but he is rigged, so your right about doing a little animation or something. thanks!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated my demo reel: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9M0LBncEkM[/ame] I shortened up the intros to each character, and taken out the "typing effect" for the details on each character... I also added the uvs in the intros. So, I'm wondering if this looks better than the first version i had..? and also im thinking about taking out the "rizzo" and "vushni" character completely... should i do that? Also, is there anything else I should change about the overall layout and timing of the reel, or anything else i should add/delete/change?

I'm trying to get this done as soon as possible so i can start applying for jobs. Im graduating this may and want to get a job modeling for an i phone/facebook type of game company (or anyone that will hire me... im not that picky right now).
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice reel! I think you should keep rizzo and vushni, but redo their textures. They are both really cool characters, but the textures seem like they are lacking on those two.

Ooni is my favorite one, but if Vushni had as much detail in his texture as Ooni it'd be my favorite for sure.
  • Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your updated reel is definitely better.
    I actually like Vushni he's just begging to be animated! Rizzo on the other hand is possibly the weakest presented, an open pose would maybe give him more appeal.
    If you want to shorten your reel then taking Rizzo out completely would be the way to go.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I would re do the textures of "vushni" and "rizzo" but i just dont have time right now... :\ so do you think i should just take them out, or leave them?? i think rizzo is definitely coming out, but im not sure about vushni yet. i just need a few more opinions, but im glad you guys like my reel!
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    vushni is a gangster, do not remove that. are these from your own concepts or taken from something?

also rizzo is a cool base, you could easily sculpt him into something nice within a few hours
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! ok, well then im thinking i might just delete rizzo then for now... until i can work on him more. they are both original concepts by the way!
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of the specs on this stuff doesn't really make any sense. Are these models made for games or something that you want to use for projects such a short movies? I would clarify which models are for which project type, if only so a AD knows that you know what is feasible.

First one looks fine, no problems there.

1024x1024 textures and 700 tris models? 256x256 would be more expected for game models.

70x300 alpha? That will get resized inengine to the nearest power of two size if it will work at all. Go with a 64x256 texture instead.

And then a couple of subdivided characters with little to no textures.

I would get a quick homepage up, look around polycount for design ideas and good advice on how to NOT do it. Get the page address into your video.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i should fix those texture sizes... i've just been putting it off but that does need to change. So i'll fix the zombie textures to at least 512, 256 if it still looks good. and the alpha definitely down to the appropriate size. I'll be taking out "Rizzo", and leaving Vushni. and i do have a website, so that's ok. thank you!
  • SadamHu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been meaning to join up to this site for a while now. And your thread is a good excuse to do it. I think your characters a really good. They have a really nice style to them. Don't cut Vushni!!!! Risso is a dull character, it looks like your first or second character. But its a good filler! Your poly distribution on your characters are really good, just Risso is the odd one out. I have a mate who took his demo reel to a game company and his model had the most messy poly layout ever! (just in one of his models). It must have taken days to render it out! In his reel for that model, he just didn't show the wires for it. He got the job, and also turned down another! (asshole! LOL!) Everything else he did was very neat and tidy. Maybe you could just do that? LOL! Or it wouldn't take long at all just to retopologize it in Maya or Zbrush. Its all one colour. I dunno, just ideas.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! well i would leave vushni, cause his design is cool, but i've gotten a lot of feedback about it having too much geometry and the texture not being that great... I have another piece i did in zbrush that im going to add instead.

I've heard that your reel is supposed to ONLY show your strongest work, and people will remember you by your worst piece... so you shouldn't have "fillers". I guess when I made my reel, i was trying to have a lot of pieces, and sort of forgot about that rule, haha. Anyway, thanks for your feedback :)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    amazing DemoReel !!

i'm So Bad in texture painting .. can you give me some source ( web , tutorials ") for learning ? ^^"
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you!! hmm... for texturing there are a lot of good tutorials and 3dtotal.com, and you could also check out gamestepper.com. I don't have any specific tutorials i can think of :\ i learned most of this stuff in school!