Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Inn

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
Trying to make an Inn and have it with a hand painted look. I won't lie, it's heavily influenced by the WoW Inn in the Grizzly Hills zone of WotLK. Also influenced by JFletcher's zeppelin tower he's posted on the boards. It still has some work to be done on it as textures are not completed but, here it is for now.

Right now it stands at 6014 Tris and uses multiple tiling 512 maps, diffuse only.

Inn02.jpg

Inn03.jpg

InnWires.jpg

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I think you are off to a good start, but it just seems too clean. Try adding some wear and dirt to that wood and the bottom of those walls. The roof shingles would probably be dirty as well. Looks pretty good for a handpainted job! Is this the first time you are attempting hand-painted textures?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice so far. Id agree about dirtying it up a bit. I know you are using tiled textures, but have you considered trying some AO on this? Even if its in a second UV set. The rooftop blends too well with itself, the parts that stick out for the windows get lost in the texture. Maybe its just something that lighting can fix.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I don't have any reference here in front of me and no time to look it up or log in cause I'm at work, but I would double check the color palette you have going there. It seems blander than I remember.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    I would punch up the colors in the roof tiles to break it up a bit more. Try something else other than white for the building, its making the whole model dull/washed-out. The bricks need more of an out-line to make it look like its really cracking out of the wall and not just an alpha.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    u gotta use other render settings. i can hardly see any of the geometry on the roof. use shadows too.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Yeah, there's a few things I have in mind for this thing as it progresses.

*AO as well as some dirt maps possibly on a second UV texture set. The shadows have been a bit off since my textures are tiling but I hope to fix it. I know you can't make out the windows from the roof and that's a major concern.

*Color scheme is not exact as I'm not replicating the Inn exactly. I want it to fit into WoW, not to be an exact rip. More of an "inspired by" type of thing.

*Wall Space- yeah it's pretty bland right now. The WoW setup has so much secondary geometry that you don't really see the walls. I want to see if I can emulate this without making it overpowering and annoying though.

The Inn it's kind of based on.
    WoWInn.jpg
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    this inn has more contrast/color in the roof tile, and that really helps it to pop. Also, the white is not so over powering because it has enough pillars and other jazz to break it up- I am seeing some nice shadows in there to.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The roof could use a dip in the middle to add a bit of character, it's very straight at the moment.

It's looking good so far.
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice sweet work man keep it up
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good so far.

Only crit I have is give some sort of bend/character to the top beam of the roof. Everything else is bend or skewed in some sort of way except for the very top.. which makes it stand out.