Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maladroit Mech- Concept by Ben Mauro

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
I was looking for inspiration for a robot to model for my portfolio and came across Ben Mauro's concepts. I loved them, the big orange one especially, so I made a 3d model and got his permission to post on here for feedback. I'm hoping to get him to game resolution before GDC. Does anyone have any suggestions for polycount/ texture size? I'm not sure, I was thinking of 1024x1024 and just doing the polycount needed.

Ben Mauro's concept
BM_FL_01.jpg

High poly-
robotc.jpg

Replies

• cadyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice! the textures will really sell it though, too shiny and new now
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    good start! I wish it had more gears and detail.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    1024 should be fine, but if need be bump it up to 2048 and shouldn't be a problem.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I like the design, very insect like. I don't quite understand what it does, maybe some type of shield generator? Also I'm not a fan of the shovel-like front feet, it looks kind of awkward, it'd dig into the ground when it stepped, no? As for the texture, I think a 2024 is justified considering how large it is.(scale in the concept)
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tubes looked off- so I adjusted it a bit

robotb.jpg

Seems like it might be a good idea to work in 2048 and then scale down. I hate scaling, but at least it isn't scaling down a 256 to a 128. Thanks Kincade and MasterFork

Cadyw- yeah, I'm pretty excited about the textures- gotta get a low poly down first though!
    RoosterMAP- I'm trying not to go too crazy with the details here- hopefully you'll like the look better once it's got some textures :)

I'm not sure what purpose this guy serves, and yeah, the shovel feet have got to be awkward, but personally I like the concept :D so I'm rolling with it.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    maybe the shovels dig in and the front opens up to point those disks backwards, creating something like the older heavy machine guns that used the shovels to keep steady.

also, it looks awesome, dont lose the shovel feet,
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright- so right now it's at 9,692 tris.

There are some areas where I could cut down (the blue cylinders, maybe the "eyes", the butt part, I could probably remove a symmetry cut or two) but I wanted to get an opinion first. I made the low poly while making a test normal bake as well. What kind of polycount do you guys think an asset like this would be? Assuming it's not a main character, but still plays a major role.

robote.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    cut? why not add? If its 40 feet tall then id think it should get a bit more love.

While your adding you can also clean up the mesh of all its wasted polys. The butt and the eyes look like they could both use some cleaning.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    cut? why not add? If its 40 feet tall then id think it should get a bit more love.

While your adding you can also clean up the mesh of all its wasted polys. The butt and the eyes look like they could both use some cleaning.

I guess the real problem is I don't know what kind of polycount I should shoot for with an asset like this. I was thinking over 9k tris would probably be too high.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The answer, as always, is "how close is the player cam going to get to it?"

There's no tech issue with going well over 10k tris if its a major scene asset and you're going to be getting right up to it.

For general ref: Every character combination in UT3 has at least 8500 tris, with a high close to 18k for Reaper's part set.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Also you can get away with a high polycount if the mesh is clean looking. No one will complain about well used polygons. But a high polycount mesh with obvious wasted polys = crap no matter the studio.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure what purpose this guy serves, and yeah, the shovel feet have got to be awkward
    ...Or maladroit, as it were.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    theres games now with 10 or more for player characters, something that huge i dont see any problem going a lot more than that, as long as they are used and not wasted. place it out in unreal quick at propper scale and walk around it,, if its too low, increase