Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anomaly - game project(Image Heavy!)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
crasong polycounter lvl 13
Hey all, I'm kinda new here, long time lurker.

Overview:

Well this was all done for a school project, and it's the first 3d game that I've ever worked on. It's still no excuse for my being bad :D. I don't really plan on touching this anymore, but I'd really appreciate some crit!

I also plan on posting some animations which i did, I also apologise for the big sized images!

So hit me with what you've got!

Credits:
Modelling/Unwrapping/rigging/animating - me
Texturing - My friend whiteo2
Concepts - My friend whiteo2

The Drone
dasherbeauty.jpg
dasherbeauty2.jpg

The Flyer
flyerbeauty.jpg
flyerbeauty2.jpg

The Hopper
hopperbeauty.jpg
hopperbeauty2.jpg

The Tank
tankbeauty.jpg
tankbeauty2.jpg

The Last Boss
lastbossbeauty.jpg

The Heroine - Emma Fox
Emma_Fox_by_crasong.jpg

Replies

• Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty good, definitely for a first time. How were you guys planning on going about the actual game itself? Was it more of a mod of a popular engine or one of the more accessible commercial ones like Torque or Ogre? Also can't wait to see some animations, I like the style.

On the critical side of things I can't say much other than I think the textures on a few of the characters could have been a bit better.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows - Thx for the compliment! It was supposed to be a 3d sidescroller, kind of a homage to megaman or metal slug definitely.

Game was done using Panda3D
    models were done in Maya.

I'm gonna be putting up the wires and tri counts asap ( thx LoTekk for reminding me )
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    So the chick from Dino Crisis went on to fight robots? :P
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Good luck on the grading for this. :) As I mentioned on msn, that tank is cool beans. Emma's looking pretty good, though I'd suggest modelling the arms in a more relaxed pose (as opposed to the T-pose you've got going on here). Makes for friendlier animation sans collapsing torsos.

Texture-wise, Emma needs a bit more going on in her midsection, as it's looking a bit bare (especially compared to the torso, forearms and calves). Eyes look good, but needed the black of the iris (unless she's meant to be a cyborg of sorts). The tank's rear could probably have used more accessorising/accoutrementing.

Love the hopper and flyer. :D
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I like everything but the last boss.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blenderhead - Haha! Dude! Cant be unseen! xD

LoTekK - Duly noted. I linked this to the artist so he can read the feedback too =)

roosterMAP - Actually, it was modelled and designed by me! haha! so i suppose the bad design is my fault :P I don't know what I'd do without whiteo2s texturing to save the day.

Wires and tri counts coming up soon!
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wires and tri counts as promised, might take me some time to get the animations batch rendered and uploaded, i've got one last little assignment due in a couple of days that i need to get done before i can get those animations rendered.

The Dasher - 154 tris
    (called it the drone originally, this is the newer name that i forgot)
    dasherwire154.jpg

The Flyer - 866 tris
    flyerwire866.jpg

The Hopper - 1750 tris
    (could have been a lot less if i'd gone 5 sided with those cylinders for the pistons, but time was a constraint.)
    hopperwire1750.jpg

The Tank - 1706 tris
    tankwire1706.jpg

Emma Fox - 1011 tris
    emmawire7.jpg
    emmawire32.jpg
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    One thing to always keep in mind while modelling/optimising, is relative size on-screen, and silhouette. If a loop/edge isn't contributing to the silhouette in a meaningful fashion, then either kill it, or make it do some work. You already know about the wires on that tank, so I won't go into that one specifically. :p

Let's talk about the flyer. I'm assuming that'll be a relatively small drone, which means that edge loop you've got running near the rim of the disc isn't going to be missed if you delete it. You could also easily get away with having only 2 loops running around the disc. Depending on how small it'll be on-screen, you could also cut the disc down to say, 12 sides. The little insets you've got going on could easily be left to the texture (eg, the reddish bit on the flyer).

Emma's got a nice silhouette, though you could probably distribute some of those edges more efficiently. You've got fairly tight rings of loops running all the way around her ass and upper torso, when you could easily terminate those loops without noticeably affecting the silhouette.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    The Flyer could stand to loose some edges and still retain it's structure.

Nice work!

For more critics you could post the texture flats.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK - You're right! I cant believe i never saw that edgeloop near the rim. :p I'll keep in mind about the density of those edgeloops, terminating them is still something I'm not too sure with. I read up a couple of times about not having too many edges terminating at the same vertex? I think its got something to do with "stress" or "tension". Some insight on that would be great.

$!nz - I will post those flats asap! as soon as i can find em all....