Home General Discussion

New Computer time!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
Was thinking of getting one of these alienware aurora for my home office.
alienware-aurora-design5.jpg
It's Running Windows 7, do you guys think that Max 9, and Zbrush will run on it? or will have to upgraydd to Max 2010 and the 3.5 update for zbrush? FYI I don't want to upgraydd.
Here are the specs:

Intel Core i7 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB Cache)
1 317-2663 6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
1 330-6518 No Keyboard
1 320-7810 No Monitor
1 320-0858 Single 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
1 341-0435 640GB - SATA-II 3Gb/s 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
1 313-8323 Lunar Shadow, Alienware Aurora Chassis, 525W PSU
1 341-0492 Alienware 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
1 421-2064 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    I've run Max 9 and 2009 on Win7 without any trouble, no trouble with any software what-so-ever actually.
    Setup looks great, could you push the graphics card up to a GTX 260, maybe? Then you're laughing.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks about the same as the one I built for myself, although with more hard drive and less graphics power.

Why Alienware? Over here in the UK they're grossly overpriced for what you get - I built a PC with that same spec for about half as much as theirs cost. I just can't really justify getting anything from Alienware, ever - they seem to add about 25% to the price of everything just because they're putting it in a shiny case and slapping their logo on it. Maybe they're not as bad in the USA? I dunno.

I'd definitely put something bigger than a Geforce 240 in there - it's not bad but for a little more cash you can get something much faster and future-proof. I went for the Geforce GTX 275, it's cheaper than the 280 yet actually outperforms it in real-world tests because the clock speed is higher although it has less onboard RAM (but still more than you'd ever really need).
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Alienware?

Dude, if your going to go crazy with that much money. Build your own. Dont know what to buy? Newegg has this combo going:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.335232
    * Thermaltake Level 10 Black Gaming Station Computer Case (VL30001N1Z) - Retail
    * Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition (Bloomfield) 3.33GHz Socket 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor (BX80601975) - Retail
    * Thermaltake Contac 29 120mm CPU Cooling Fan - Retail
    * ASUS X58 Express Chipset SATA III Supported ATX Motherboard (P6X58D Premium) - Retail
    * OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR 2000 (PC3 16000) Low-voltage Triple Channel Desktop Memory Kit(OCZ3G2000LV6GK) - Two Retail Units
    * ASUS Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256bit GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0 x16 w/ATI Eyefinity (EAH5870/G/2DIS/1GD5/A) - Two Retail Units
    * Intel X25-M Mainstream 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Disk (SSDSA2M160G2XXX) - Retail
    * Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB SATA III (6Gb/s) 3.5" Hard Drive (ST32000641SA) - Two OEM Units
    * LG Black 8X BD-R/ 2X BD-RE/ 16X DVD+R/ 5X DVD-RAM/ 6X BD-ROM Internal 5.25" Blu-ray Burner (WH08LS20) - Two Retail Units
    * Thermaltake ToughPower 1200Watts ATX12V/ EPS12V/ CrossFire/SLI Ready 80Plus Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

12 gigs of memory!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want something a little more like the specs you listed. This is cheaper and better featured than your alienware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.335228
    * Intel Core i7-920 (Bloomfield) 2.66GHz Socket 1366 130W Quad Core Processor (BX80601920) - Retail
    * ASUS Intel X58 Express Chipset Socket 1336 ATX Motherboard (P6T) - Retail
    * Sapphire Radeon HD 4860 1GB 256bit GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0 x16 (100286L) CrossFireX Certified - Two Retail Units
    * OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) low voltage Triple Channel Desktop Memory Kit (OCZ3G1600LV6GK) - Retail
    * Seagate Barracuda LP 1.5TB 5900RPM 32MB cache SATA II 3.5" Hard Drive (ST31500841AS) - OEM
    * LG Black 24X DVD+/-R 8X DVD+RW 6X DVD-RW SATA 5.25" DL-DVD Burner (GH24NS50) - OEM
    * Cooler Master V8 120mm Rifle CPU Cooling Fan (RR-UV8-XBU1-GP) - Retail
    * Cooler Master Storm Scout Black Steel/Plastic Mid ATX Tower Case (SGC-2000-KKN1-GP) - Retail
    * Cooler Master Silent Pro 600 Series 600Watt ATX12V v2.3 CrossFireX/SLI/80 Plus Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (RS-600-AMBA-D3) - Retail

Or this one which has a Nvidia if thats what you want

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.326245
    * Corsair Dominator 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (CMD8GX3M4A1600C8) - Retail
    * Corsair Cooling Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (CWCH50-1) - Retail
    * Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Black Aluminum/ Steel ATX Full Tower Case (CC800DW) - Retail
    * Corsair TX Series 950W ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 Plus Bronze Certified Active PFC Power Supply (CMPSU-950TX) - Retail
    * Intel Core i7-860 (Lynnfield) 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache Socket LGA 1156 95W Quad Core Processor (BX80605I7860) - Retail
    * ASUS P55 Express Chipset ATX Motherboard (P7P55D EVO) - Retail
    * EVGA GeForce GT 240 512MB 128bit DDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Graphics Card (512-P3-1240-LR) - Retail
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah that combo is almost 5 grand!(edit* that second one is more up my wallet's alley)
    The aurora comes in at an economical 1700$ (Before Tax)
    Mop, I might upgrade to the Geforce GTX 275, do you really think it would make that much difference? Will it make zbrush or max run smoother, or be able to handle more poly's without chugging? I thought that's what ram was for?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Way too much money for that rig, that case, processor, and 2 graphics cards really jack up the price.

You could build an i7 920 rig (overclock it to 4.0ghz), with a Geforce GTX 275, 9 gigs of ram, for around 1.3k
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh, see the follow up ones I posted. The first is better spec'd and is 1222

With a System Builder of Windows 7..

$1328

You save over 372 and get better components and specs than.... *shudder* a Dell.
    If you really want a top of the line pre-built system. Look at Northwest Falcon. http://www.falcon-nw.com/

Alienware is "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Please for the love of God do NOT buy Alienware. I have 4 friends that bought their computers and they all failed after a very short amount of time. Three of them bought laptops and one bought a desktop. I wouldn't be wasting my breath (fingers) if I didn't want you to go through the heartache.

Compare what you're going to get to what I bought and the amount I spent. I spent $1500 roughly back in July 2009:

Proc: Core i7 2.66 ghz

Vid: GTX 275

HDD: 2x one-terabyte WDHDs @ 7200RPM

RAM: 6gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 tri-channel

Power: Corsair 850-TX

MOBO: EVGA E-758

Case: Antec 900

Totals to about $1460 right now and you're getting a better video card than what other people have been posting, as well as more HD space.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    Yeah that combo is almost 5 grand!(edit* that second one is more up my wallet's alley)
    The aurora comes in at an economical 1700$ (Before Tax)
    Mop, I might upgrade to the Geforce GTX 275, do you really think it would make that much difference? Will it make zbrush or max run smoother, or be able to handle more poly's without chugging? I thought that's what ram was for?

View port performance is all about the GPU, but in zbrush more ram = more polys. 1.7k is a little expensive. Apps like 3DCoat and Mudbox are based of the GPU instead of ram, so if ever wanted to try those, the better the card, the better the performance. And then there is always games...

WITH i7 RIGS, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE YOUR RAM IN SETS OF 3.
    3- 6- 9- 12- 15- or even 18 (I've it, 9 seems pretty common now-a-days, but 6 would be more than enough, that rig that oXYnary posted with 8 gigs of ram is just stupid.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Josh: ZBrush is all about the cpu, just make sure you have a quad core and your golden on that front. Ram is important to so you can load alot of geo into your scene, but its not directly linked to viewport frame rates, that's what the gpu is for (in everything thats not zbrush). Actually nvidia is releasing the next generation of Geforce cards soon (next month supposedly) which will be the 480gtx and 470gtx, so I'd wait just a bit for those to come out first before getting a new gpu. Even if they dont end up being that great prices will drop on all the other cards out their right now.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You gotta get a DX 11 before too long though, it'd be silly not too, I want to put tessellation on levels and props I'm working on :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    WITH i7 RIGS, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE YOUR RAM IN SETS OF 3.
    3- 6- 9- 12- 15- or even 18 (I've it, 9 seems pretty common now-a-days, but 6 would be more than enough, that rig that oXYnary posted with 8 gigs of ram is just stupid.

If the mobo is socket LGA1156 then you go with sets of 2, if it's LGA1366 then you go with sets of 3.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Wait a few months and get yourself an Nvidia Fermi.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Justin corrected Zacd. So NM.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting one of these alienware aurora for my home office.
    alienware-aurora-design5.jpg
    It's Running Windows 7, do you guys think that Max 9, and Zbrush will run on it? or will have to upgraydd to Max 2010 and the 3.5 update for zbrush? FYI I don't want to upgraydd.
    Here are the specs:

Intel Core i7 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB Cache)
    1 317-2663 6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
    1 330-6518 No Keyboard
    1 320-7810 No Monitor
    1 320-0858 Single 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
    1 341-0435 640GB - SATA-II 3Gb/s 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
    1 313-8323 Lunar Shadow, Alienware Aurora Chassis, 525W PSU
    1 341-0492 Alienware 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    1 421-2064 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

What do you guys think?

I wonder how much would it cost, if you change the spec from default specs to

-Overclocked Intel Core i7 975 3.60GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor
    -Single 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260 192 Core
    -9GB, 12GB, and 24GB Dual Triple-Channel 1333MHz DDR3.

for PC.

I also wonder if it can be done on the laptop so I can buy the external 1TB along with it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As everyone else says, you can save $500 and spend about $1200 and get a similar/perhaps better system if you buy your stuff on newegg. Alienware is for gamerkids with rich parents, who dont know any better. Save that money and get an awesome 24" monitor to go with your new system instead.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haiasi wrote: »
    Please for the love of God do NOT buy Alienware. I have 4 friends that bought their computers and they all failed after a very short amount of time. Three of them bought laptops and one bought a desktop. I wouldn't be wasting my breath (fingers) if I didn't want you to go through the heartache.

Compare what you're going to get to what I bought and the amount I spent. I spent $1500 roughly back in July 2009:

Proc: Core i7 2.66 ghz

Vid: GTX 275

HDD: 2x one-terabyte WDHDs @ 7200RPM

RAM: 6gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 tri-channel

Power: Corsair 850-TX

MOBO: EVGA E-758

Case: Antec 900

Totals to about $1460 right now and you're getting a better video card than what other people have been posting, as well as more HD space.

Here is a similar system, all from newegg. Its got a worse videocard, but better ram, and less crazy shit that you dont need like a 2TB hd and 850w PSU, side case windows and LED lights.

dvd burner:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106327

case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119161

hd 640gb:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

nvidia 260(newegg actually has most 260-285 cards out of stock atm, you can likely find something a little better for not toooo much more):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127464

80+ 650w PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

12GB ddr3 1333 ramz:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223

asus mobo:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359

i7 920:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Windows 7 system builder shit:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

$1395 SHIPPED with OS, DVD, etc, everything to run a full system. Pay a little more for a video card like above. Also, look for free shipping on cases and power supplies, you can easily end up paying $40-80 extra to ship that shit, and newegg always has great free shipping deals on cases/PSUS. I buy cases based on what is best for the purpose and has free shipping! I haven't actually put any time into finding the best value/most reliable shit here as i would if i were building my own system, just look for cheap stuff with good ratings, so you may be able to do some stuff for a little cheaper/better here with more research.

The extra ram here will help a lot more with high res sculpts than the video card at this point, but the above system prices out cheaper with more ram anyway, so you could easily go for the same card.

Oxy's link to the $1328 is a good deal, but again you're paying for shit you dont need, fancy CPU fans, expensive cases, SLI video cards, all shit that really doesnt matter for a dev machine and still less ram.

[edit] And just for fun, i run a q6600 quad core, 8 gigs of 1066 DDR2 ram, 8800 GT and can push maddddd amounts of polys in zbrush/mud/etc. A similar system these days would be about $7-800ish, pretty much any combination of i7, GTX 2**, 6-12 gigs ram, is going to be mind-blowing-fast.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stay away from SLI unless you're building this for playing games or if you only have one monitor. None of the apps we use day to day Max, Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox, photoshop bla bla bla benefit from SLI so it s a total waste to get two cards. The only benefit is with games... and even then most cards run just about everything fine.

I like the system EQ just linked to I would probably drop a little more on the case and get something that's a little more quite, has good cable management and good air flow.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $180 for a case you've got to be insane. People always brag about cases and airflow and cable systems. I've used $150 cases and i've used $30 cases, there is very little practical difference in quality unless you're overclocking to 16ghz(airflow issues etc) or if you open your case and mess with it every day(build quality).

I've got a coolermaster 690, which is a high quality, but basic case. Its got some nice stuff like tool-less drive mounting. Nothing about it is really fancy, it just works flawlessly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137&cm_re=coolermaster_690-_-11-119-137-_-Product

Then i bought a cheaper $50 coolermaster Centrurian 5 for a build for my wife. Not a dev machine, but decent with a e8400 and a nvidia 9400. Biggest difference between these two cases? $40! Thats it, the cheaper one is a little smaller(still big enough for 99% of computers). Same tool-less design(slightly cheaper) good enough space, airflow, etc. It was such an insane value for the price when you consider build quality, usability etc, that i wished i would have saved the $40 and got something like this for my dev machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

You can pay an assload for a case, but you would be much smarter to put your money into 1. Better CPU. 2. Better Ram 3. Better GPU.... Better case is probably about 7 or 8 on the list of things that will actually matter.

Now, i could see wanting a case in the $80-90 range, because you can get something really nice there, but approaching $200 is just silly and a waste of cash unless it has some magic powers or can fold into a 2"x2" square and fit in your pocket
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    You upgrade that videocard to something serious and that PSU is gonna be inadequate. Just make something like above. It's a good system.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    Stay away from SLI unless you're building this for playing games or if you only have one monitor. None of the apps we use day to day Max, Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox, photoshop bla bla bla benefit from SLI so it s a total waste to get two cards. The only benefit is with games... and even then most cards run just about everything fine.

I like the system EQ just linked to I would probably drop a little more on the case and get something that's a little more quite, has good cable management and good air flow.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138
    To be honest you wouldn't even need the second card even if you are a gamer. The cost for a second card doesn't really justify the few extra fps in my opinion but i don't know. Maybe things are better now than they used to be ?

Point is. The cash you wanted to put on a second card could be put on the first one to get an even more awesome one that would be more helpful.

PS: And i agree. Don't get an alienware. They're all ledlights and fancy exteriors. Not worth the cash.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    an 80+ 650w PSU is enough to power anything short of SLI 285s/295s(183w x2 or 289w x2). And with the SLI 285 you're still probably fine. Now if you're getting some generic 650w PSU that has 55% efficiancy, then yeah you've got a point.

There seems to be this myth that you need a 1000w PSU to power a modern computer, when in fact hardware has been getting much more efficient in relation to performance than you would think.

For instance, I7 CPU, 6 sticks of ddr3 Ram, 1 HD, 1 DVD, 2x GTX 285 = 421w at 100% daily usage! Bump that down to a single 260 and you've got 295w.... Seriously 295w! Why in the hell would you ever need a power supply that is more than TWICE as powerful as your hardware actually requires?

SLI 295 at 535w would be a bit risky on a 650w PSU, but seriously, who in the hell would do that.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Look into the 12v rails, they have a maximum output for each one. I've seen 1000w PSU's that are grossly underpowered.

Underwpowered for power hungry videocard setups. Although it would kick ass on a moderate setup and a nice WC kit.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I built a Corei7 system with Win7 , GTX285, 6GB corsair ram, PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer power supply for about $1500-ish. And it's been the best most stable system I've ever used. No reason to really spend more than that on a prebuilt system.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the EA 650 has three 12V rails, two rated at 22A and the third at 25A, with a maximum combined output of 45A.

I'm fairly certain this is more than enough to run any single-card GPU currently on the market today, but if you have some more info, please share. =)

Anyway, it seems virtually certain anytime someone recommends using a *reasonable* PSU in a build someone will reply and say lol NO U NEED 1000w what r u thinking.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    slightly off-topic but still relevant question. Does anyone know if theres an equivalent newegg for australia. ie online and cheap.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain this is more than enough to run any single-card GPU currently on the market today, but if you have some more info, please share. =)
    I'm just saying, I've run across some 800~1000w PSU's that BARELY got 45A total. I've seen some with 40A. I always figure that it's +/- an amp or two on readings, so I go above. Just have to pay attention to what you are getting when dealing with PSU's as they are not all the same. Even if they say "SLI/XFire Ready".
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm running my system off a 650W PSU with no troubles. Buy a decent brand (Antec?) and it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah with PSU's, decent brand (output) > higher wattage.
    I have a 550W Seasonic that runs a huge hungry GTX280 without problems.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ, for me the case is perfect, really quite unlike the $40 rattle apart counterparts I've used in the past. It's rock solid, Like my monitors I'll pay a little more because they'll outlast the mo-bo, processor video card inside. For me I'd rather pay a little more and have something that lasts for a few systems. Even the PSU makes less noise than it did in the previous case (650w and noisy as fuck but its not dead yet so...).

It also works out well to have a few plugs in the top/front but that's pretty specific to where my case is sitting. I think you can get a multi plug panel that fits in a empty drive bay too if this was the only functionality I wanted, but its not.

I agree about the PSU's too. The 1000w's seem to be pitched to the "I don't know what I need so I'll over do it" crowd. Pay attention to what you need and don't over do it. There are plenty of pieces inside your system to measure your dick with, the PSU isn't one of them... Also keep in mind that cheap "powerful" PSU's can be noisy thanks to cheap fans. No need to generate heat and noise when you really don't need it. Also there are a few adjustable PSU's out there, they're more expensive but if you know you might need the power and just don't need it all now it could be a good option.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, but you dont need to buy a $180 case to get any of those attributes, my $90 case is rock solid and will last 10 years as long as i dont kick it down the stairs, very quiet as well. When i first put this system together i thought it was fucked because i didnt hear anything when i turned it on. The case you linked is more expensive because its all mac-design-ish, not because its actually any measurable amount better than a solid, regular looking case. Hell i would even wager that my case will outlast yours, as the shiney finish is likely to wear and show age much worse.

The $50 case is exceptionally well built for the price range, very quiet, and will easily last 5 years as well. These lower-mid range coolermaster cases are an incredible value.

Now, i have used some cases that were combo case+PSU in the $30-40 range, and will avoid these like a plague. Shit PSU and terrible build quality makes for a wonderfully horribly product. The cases i linked to are however light years ahead of those cheapass "powmax" and "raidmax" cases.

I'm not saying your case sucks, i'm sure it is a very nice case. But on a fixed budget, if you look at it objectively, you can get a really nice case of $80-90, or a really really nice case for double that, your money is much better spent throwing that extra $100 into your CPU, GPU, or ram, something that will actually affect the performance of your system on a daily basis. Not some extra features that will only be nice to have the once or twice a year you actually open your case. Saying that, the $90 case has awesome tool-less shit, the easy side mounted drive bays, three 120mm near silent fans and great airflow

Funny thing, the two cases i linked to, $80 and $50, are the best rated coolermaster cases on newegg. Yours is one of the highest as well, but for double the price, i just think its excessive.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see that, those cases you linked to are great and if you're looking to shave a few bucks that's a smart move. You could probably sound proof them further on your own if you needed to.

I would have to try them out to know for sure if they where as quite. I sort of doubt any of them come with sound proofing material built into the panels thats not cheap foam. Or 7 quiet 120mm fans that do an amazing job of keeping things cool. All the other "sound dampened cases I looked at just used regular foam which would trap heat, hardly dampen much and I could do it myself. They cost about the same $130-150, most were not even screw-less and had bad air flow, no thanks.

The case also has a piece of duct work that fits over the video card(s) that cools and helps quite the whole case. If I coughed up the cash for a quieter PSU I probably couldn't tell if it was on or not.

There are two main draw backs to my case,
    1)The size, its a full ATX tower Steel case (35lbs) way too many drive bays, internal and external.
    2)It's price.

The weight comes from them using steel and making sure it is as solid as it can be. I could probably push it down a set of stairs and aside from the scratches it would probably be fine, heh.

I didn't cough up the extra cash for the looks, there are some less expensive cases out there that look a lot better. When I see someone thinking about dropping another videocard in their dream system I think its better spent on the case.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Josh_Singh: if you don't want to upgrade your apps and want to make sure they run as usual, you could have a look at windows XP64 as an OS instead. gives you access to all the RAM but without any other major OS changes from the XP32 they were built for.

also, graphics cards are overrated :) 9800GT (1GB) -> 12 mio polygons in a max scene without major hiccups on an otherwise very similar machine. haven't pushed it further. and why not go for 12 GB RAM while you're at it?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Earthquake's build is geared more towards dev work, which is smart. I linked my system because my machine is both my work station and my gaming station.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Here's the PC I'm going to build (just ordered the parts on Thurs, parts should get here buy Fri of next week):
    • CASE LIANLI|BLACK PC-K62 R
      • $99.99
    • LINK DEPOT 12" 3PIN UV EX CABLE
      • $1.99
    • POWER CABLE | POW-ADT-3PY RETAIL
      • $1.99
    • MB GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
      • $209.99
    • PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-650TX 650W RT
      • $99.99
    • CPU INTEL|CORE I7 920 2.66G 45N R
      • $288.99
    • MEM 2Gx3|CORS TR3X6G1600C8D R
      • $219.99
    • HD 640G|WD 7K 16M WD6400AAKS %
      • $69.99
    • DVD BURN SONY | AD-7241S-0B %
      • $26.99
    • WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP
      • $104.99
    • CPU THERMPASTE|AS5-3.5G %
      • $9.99
    • TOOL ROSEWILL|RTK-002 ANTISTATIC R
      • $3.49
    • Noctua CPU cooler
      • $65.00
    • twist ties, cable ties, fan controller, odds and ends
      • $50.00
    • Total: $1,260.00
    I already have a graphic card that I can use, but may put aside $150 for a new card. Also, the MB tops out at 24GB. In the future I plan to pick up three 4GB sticks (when the price comes down) to have 18 GB of RAM.

I got everything except for the CPU cooler (Amazon) and odds and ends (FrozenCPU) at Newegg.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    sampson wrote: »
    slightly off-topic but still relevant question. Does anyone know if theres an equivalent newegg for australia. ie online and cheap.

samps - not sure what you're looking for but try scorpion teck -
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/systems/all/

they have systems already up - quick assembly and delivery and you can customize existing packages...

(i'm personally thinking of getting the venom gold minus the double solidstate hardrives..)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: There is one area I didnt see addressed with the arguement about cases. Material.

I looked at both your cases, and neither are good. Both use SECC (Ie Steel). Not aluminum.

Aluminum has two benefits.

1. Dissipates heat much easier. Which could mean the difference from an early failed component or not. And energy draw as well since system wont have to work as hard to keep itself cool.
    2. Weight.
    3. (Linked to two - shipping cost less)

The downfalls:
    1. Needs more material to make less flimsy.
    2. Cant take as much as a beating.
    3. Price since not made in as much volume.

Another thing on cases is people need to see what they have for cooling flow. Does the front fans blow over the hardrive area? Does it have all the front ports to hook up your audio and usb up front?

Anyhow, once you start taking these all into account, case price does rise, and its not totally unreasonable to end up with something in the price range Vig has.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks, Lamont. FrozenCPU seemed to have prices that were slightly higher than Newegg, but they had some things that Newegg didn't carry.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Over the last 10yrs I've owned 3 alienware PCs - they are fantastic machines - no problems at all. Though they are overpriced.

Also, Josh wasn't asking about building a PC - he's obviously looking for a pre-built solution. Not everyone knows or wants to know how to build a PC. I think the PC Josh posted is more than adequate for modeling & texturing (though I'd get more RAM if possible (8gb+ would be swanky). Just look at the system Per built - that's far lower spec.
    it's always cheaper to build your own, but that's just not for everyone, ya know?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here I could pay any store 25 euro's to put it together for me, I'd pick that any day over pre-built retail systems. There is ALWAYS something wrong with those, I've never encountered one that didn't either cost way too much, have dodgy parts or build quality, or had an abundance of shitty useless apps installed (Dell and thus Alienware too really win the prize here).
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    If you buy workstations they tend to come with just what you need. The Aura looks badass on paper and it's WC'ed. If they keep the maintenance of the WC system to almost nil, it's a hassle-free setup.

WC = water-cooled.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After seeing a friends' 7000$ Dell XPS sit in his hallway waiting for pickup for two weeks since the watercooling broke for no reason, with water gushing out of the case, I'd rather not get something like that :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see a lot of people talking about temperature/airflow concerns etc. I personally haven't really used anything but stock cooling for some time. Intel's stock CPU coolers are fine, and the cooling in that $90 case seems perfectly reasonable to me.

So what i want to know is, are you guys talking about OCing your stuff? Because that has always seemed a bit retarded to me, spend an extra $200 on a better Case, Fancy cooling systems, better ram to handle the OC, and better PSU, when $200 simply put into your CPU in the first place is going to make the same/more of a difference in performance that shortening the life of your expensive equipment by OCing.

So, what temps are you guys after?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nothing over 70c
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my q6600 runs at about 42C, 57C baking AO in xnormal(super full loadz lol). Sure i could drop those temps down if i wanted to buy extra shit, but its already well within reasonable temps. I guess i could add a racing stripe and some LED lights to make it faster tho.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You really not need anything special if you want to keep your processor temps in check. If your going to OC it you might want to spend $50 bucks on a decent heat sink, no need to do much else. Unless your gpu is putting out too much heat.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I don't know about you, but for $1700 I got myself the Fujitsu Lifebook Series T.

Powerwise it can't really compare to an Alienware, but god damn the portability of it is SWEEET.

It's a Wacom Screen Pen.

It's like having a digital sketchbook:
    tablet-pc-fujitsu-t-series-lifebook-4020d-review-rotate-final.jpg

Either that, or a Cintiq you can carry around everywhere (and yeah, Photoshop, and Zbrush rock on it).
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    JacqueChoi: Sorry to hijack the thread, but how responsive is the pressure sensitivity on the Lifebook T Series? Is it comparable to a Cintiq/Intuos in terms of levels of sensivity?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Nick: (apologize again for the hijack)
    I hadn't used the Cintiq a whole lot, but from what I can remember it was quite similar.

One of your co-workers Marc (bluefley) tried it when I was down in the OC, and said it was the pretty much the same (aside from screensize).

I think the thing is 256 sensitivity (Wacom Penable) vs. the 1024 Sensitivity for the Cintiq 21UX

You might notice it more than myself (seeing as you do much more refined concepts than I would) but I find it's definitely servicable enough for what I need.

:D