Home General Discussion

Red Octane and Underground Development shut down

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Developers of Guitar Hero branded games. To be expected, coming from the cold-hearted bastards at Activision (after having already closed Luxoflux and culled staff at FreeRadical and Neversoft..).

Sorry to those affected.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    damn, I would have guessed those guys would be pretty safe on the success of guitar hero. whats going on
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Oh come on! How many studios have closed/cut back in these past few months? This is getting pretty scary. Maybe I should go back to programming :(

I hope everyone effected gets to other studios! Good luck!
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Bullshit. No way they were making losses from the Guitar Hero franchise!?
  • Fuse
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Maybe I should go back to programming :(

Learn how to code for ps3 and your golden :P
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Fuck this I'm going back to school.

Heart goes out to the guys. Finding a new gig will be a pretty harsh business.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Seriously? WTF? Things are getting pretty grim.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Bob Kotick can eat my ass.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ae. wrote: »
    Learn how to code for ps3 and your golden :P

Actually, the code is pretty much the same they use the same 3d3 for everything. Same implimentation, but different execution.

I think I am pretty safe because I am a programmer and practicing 3d modeling (should be able to open my own studio with it, if the game studios start falling apart like people state these days :))
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Why do companies like Activision and EA buy up tons and tons of small companies only to completely destroy them and lives less than Five years later.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    To buy up the Ip's those smaller companies own sometimes...

But as far Kotick goes.. Remember, he's a symptom not the cause. Sad as it may be, our whole economic system allows Sociopaths (yes, people like him are sociopaths. Its just the veneer of his background education that allows them to escape this term) to handle the reigns.

Nothing is going to change unless we make it. If you partake 401-ks, stock, or such. Your part of the problem. So consider that next time a Kotick or wallstreet takes millions to billions at the expense of so many others.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Guys, it's the beginning of the year. There are ALWAYS cut backs after the holiday time and right before the holidays when all the major projects get pushed out. It's a shame to see this happen, but it does year after year. Granted, it does seem especially noticeable this year, but that could be from a lot of things. More news sites reporting on it, or the harder times people and companies are facing.

Either way my heart goes out to those that lost their job. I hope you land on your feet.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Excuse me for playing devil's advocate, i'm very good at it, but you can't go pointing fingers at the wrong people.

The interest in expensive peripheral-based rhythm games has died. Or is quickly dying. Overplayed, so to speak. Milked for all it was worth. It was fun while it lasted.

Any of you still playing Guitar Hero? Don't blame the CEO for shutting down a studio that had no better ideas lined up. I mean, I'm sure he's a dick. A rich dick. But RedOctane was a publisher. Neversoft was the developer. And Harmonix split off years ago to do Rock Band.

I'd never heard of Underground Development...but it looks like they were responsible for a console port of Quake Wars. After which, they were suppose to have been shut down. But they contributed on Guitar Hero: Van Halen. Anyone playing that? Yeah, me neither.

Old studios fall, and studios with better ideas rise in their place. No worries.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    elysium: i totally agree with you, while everyone might be upset for people losing their jobs, ofcourse thats terrible, people go into buisness to make money.

when it comes down to it, none of these people are bobbys family, so really would you do anything different if it was going to cost you millions of dollars in losses?

everyone looks out for number one in the end, and if you view buisness as helping people by supporting them at a cost to your company you are incredibly naive. New studios will sprout up and life will continue.

sorry to all those effected, I think UFG might have some art positions opening up within the coming months.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I'm just wondering when we'll see more small studios pop up from all these people getting laid off. I'd love to see all of the artists, programmers, designers, etc. stick it to the man and take back control. I know it's the beginning of the year and blah blah blah....but the number of studios shutting down is getting insane.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    With as many medium-to-large studios shutting down or cutting back as there are, it looks like there's actually a boom of tiny studios opening up who don't touch AAA current-gen projects at all and specialize in either iPhone development, shovelware, or online games based on social networking sites like Facebook. I don't know how well they're doing, but there appears to be a lot more listed on gamedevmap than there used to be.

Unfortunately, a lot of those appear to be teams of like 5 guys each, so it's probably not going to provide work for many of the people losing their jobs at larger studios. But it's something to think about, I guess. If nothing else, it looks a lot simpler and cheaper for people with experience to get a team together and make something to be published to iPhone than it would be to try to set up a company for larger projects. So maybe it'd be an option for the newly unemployed. I don't know how profitable it is, but it's gotta be better than nothing, or working regular jack-off jobs again.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well the UDK seems to support small studios with its new deals.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The day you post more than 1 sentence in a reply ZacD is the day I'll owe someone $5.

Elysium, agreed and not surprised they're gone. It's a shame, because they had such a huge impact on our industry - perhaps even more so than the entire Wii console. I would almost think they'd move on from Guitar Hero and try and get the next 'must have' product out there for the majority of people who enjoyed Guitar Hero, the casual gamer. I suppose they were trying to figure out what that was and time caught up to them.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well it seems to me smaller studios, once they get bought up by big publishers, become a one trick dog. Publishers want the big, hot, new game, and they will quickly milk it for all its worth, and the game will either get crappy or get old, and the publisher will close the studio and move on. I hate it when they force a sightly updated game out every year.

So who is that $5 going to?

I just don't like reading big walls of text and figure I can sum up my major thoughts in a line or two.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Good luck to everyone :( It is probably the hardest time to be finding a job right now. Period.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ZacD wrote: »
    Well it seems to me smaller studios, once they get bought up by big publishers, become a one trick dog. Publishers want the big, hot, new game, and they will quickly milk it for all its worth, and the game will either get crappy or get old, and the publisher will close the studio and move on. I hate it when they force a sightly updated game out every year.

So who is that $5 going to?

I just don't like reading big walls of text and figure I can sum up my major thoughts in a line or two.

Outstanding. :) He deserves 15% of the betting money by the way. <.<

Well there is good amount of small studios in USA, so if one artist loses his job, he or she can just apply to a small studio, show what they have done at previous work and it should be like walk in the park for them. Small studios including the startup ones actually welcome those who are experienced (been there done that) type of people.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Bob Kotick can eat my ass.
    Considering they could fund a studio or two with just his 2008 bonuses... yea fuck him in the ass with a broken beer bottle, sideways. Something tells me after he's done kicking the sh!t out of all the other studios he's coming after blizzard =/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    Old studios fall, and studios with better ideas rise in their place. No worries.
    With what money?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Where's the new studios then? :O
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me that one man makes in personal wealth in one year, enough money to keep several small studios going for at least a year... and yet he's helping to close them down.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Where's the new studios then? :O

Like fly_soup mentioned, many small studios will not touch a AAA game due to the high rate of failure in that market. It's not easy to compete with the likes of Bioshock, CoD, Gears, Assassin's...etc. And no one wants to give up years of their life on such an enormous project only to be let go in the end. There is plenty of room for creativity as mobile gaming devices and touchscreens evolve. Everyone is drooling for the day we see a multitouch RTS game...when it's an affordable and accessible concept.

Other studios survive through partnerships. Providing map packs and expansions to larger companies, while working out the tech of their own IPs.

Vigil just recently released its first game. The company has only been around 5 years, but there is a lot of top talent and leadership there, with new creative ideas.

Four studios have appeared from the demise of Ensemble Studios. It's too early to tell which will succeed. But some are hiring as they grow to develop new and exciting IPs.

Point being...it's not the end of the world. It's the start of something up-to-date, and more exciting. I'd rather work for a smaller studio if I have the option.