Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MBT-70 Tank

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
This is the second tank in the series of vehicles that I am doing to beef up my portfolio, hope ya like it... and now a bit of exciting education!

The MBT-70 was a joint US-German heavy tank project that was launched in the 1960s and formed the source vehicle for both the Abrams M1 and Leopard 2 main battle tanks. The MBT-70 incorporated some radical new design elements, including a main gun that could fire wire-guided missile munitions as well as conventional rounds, and a bustle-mounted automatic loading system for the main gun, thereby doing away with the need for a loader and reducing the crew to three.

fmbt703qdone.jpg

btreadb3q.jpg

Replies

• doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    So this is the low-poly I take it? lol, looks really good man.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, fantastic work. Can you tell us a bit about your work flow? (Tools, techniques, etc.)

How about some close up renders of areas? And perhaps some wires?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    That's a dope presentation. I dig the welding
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    doeseph wrote: »
    So this is the low-poly I take it? lol, looks really good man.

No this would definitely be his high poly render.

This is probably one of the best high poly detailed tanks i've ever seen. I'd love to see this baked down and textured.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah that welding and small details turned out awesome. Like Adam mentioned some close ups would be nice to show off the great work.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    kaburan wrote: »
    No this would definitely be his high poly render.

This is probably one of the best high poly detailed tanks i've ever seen. I'd love to see this baked down and textured.

Yea I was being sarcastic, unsuccessfully apparently.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Welding looks awesome. Nice renders. The treads look really great too. Nice attention to detail.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry didn't catch the "lol" in your sentence :)
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    wow must know how did u do the welding it look amazing!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    cholden wrote: »
    That's a dope presentation. I dig the welding

I actually don't like seeing it with the wall of text. Ah well.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work, and as others have said, that welding is great.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    WOW!!! Nice, very nice. :)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, I dig the little dents and scratches but I agree Adam about the text in your images. They could be nice if this was for an in game informative image but for modeling presentation, just the model would do better.
  • edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really awesome dude, can i ask, what is your lighting/rendering setup?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work! I'd also be interested in your workflow.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    great hi-res model indeed.
    Looking forward to see wires ;)
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incredible detail. How long did that take you? It must have been months of hard labour. Excellent job and well presented AAA
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I would also like to know how the welds were done.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    eh. i actually like this thing. its got some really nice detailing on the turret. i like that you added stuff inside the sights, and the detailing on them is very impressive. the weld seams looks cool as well.
    i'm actually slightly impressed.
    now the part i don't like:
    the hull. you've made it a cast assembly, when the real thing was welded.
    MBT70experimental.jpg
    another problem is the width of the hull. i'm not sure if its the turret that isn't wide enough, or the hull that is too wide, but its one of those. the turret ring should nearly touch the part where the sloped side armour begins.
    MBT70turret2.jpg
    MBT70turret.jpg
    the MBT-70 had a very special turret, all 3 crewmembers was housed inside of it, and the driver had his own counter-rotating cupola on top of it.

oh, and would be nice if you could make the 20mm gun extend from the cupola:

20mmRH202.jpg
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I love this tank :D looks very nice. Do you have plans to make any of your vehicles low poly with normal maps or are you just making high polys?
    Like most other people, I'm also interested in knowing how you got the weld look and honestly about how you rendered this if you don't mind sharing :)
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edoran89 - for the lighting I'm just using three spotlights, two of which are set on a multiplier of around .8, with a dark blue color, (values are RGB-49, 58, 76). The third spotlight is just a white spotlight with multiplier .6. I also have a skylight in the scene with a multiplier of .6 with a light brown color, (RGB-156, 133, 122). Beyond that, I used a shellac material on the model.

throttlekitty- because this model is really heavy I had to make the tank in three different parts. So, I ended up with one max file for the head, the body, and the tread. But, before I separated them out I did a low-res version with all three parts in one scene to make sure they fit together, (but it seems like I still need to do some tweaking; as dejawolf pointed out, that either the turret or the hull needs a bit of adjusting). After I finished the high-res of each piece I brought them into Zbrush to do the welding, and just to knock the model around a little bit. Then going back to Max I set up my lighting and a camera so I can merge two of the three max files together, for example, the head and the body of the tank. I rendered this out using the camera. When the render is complete I go ahead and delete the head mesh, merge in the tread- then wash rinse and repeat.

SinisterUrge- how long did the model take? ummm... I want to say, and this is just an guessestimation: 1 to 2 days blocking out, 4 to 5 days on the tread, three days or so on the body, and let's say two weeks for the head? Zbrushing wasn't very hard, so a round a day or two, then you have to take in account lighting, rendering, and clean up, and I know that had to take a few days as well. So, with a little give-and-take, around a month, and I do put in a lot of hours for each of these days... I know I don't keep very good track of this kind of stuff. For the next model I will try to keep some sort of log, or start rendering out daily so I can give you a more precise time line.

Racer445 - I used the layer brush, (after making the mesh a morph target) to layout some controlled line work. After I was happy with where the welding was going I used to clay brush to go back in and give it some raised and evenly spaced marks.

dejawolf - I definitely notice a problem with the width of the turret/body, (good call) but I'm not sure if I understand the whole cast assembly versus welding subject. I don't really see too much welding unless it's on the side of the tank where it rises to the peak of the triangular backing. But I'll go back through my reference to take a second look. And oohh yes! It would have been awesome to be able to model the 20mm, and I was seriously considering going for it, but due to the lack of reference and time, I had to talk myself out down... still I think it would be one of the cooler things to model on this tank.

Well, I hope this answers some of your questions and thank you for all your positive feedback
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as making this next-gen yes. The plan is to make around 5 cool looking high-res models, then take two or more to game-res.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    keep 'em comin', great work.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    here's what i meant with welded hull:
    MBT70weldedhul.jpg
    the hull is welded together by a series of plates, with seams like in this picture.
    on your model, you've made it look like its cast out of a single piece.

also some quick observations i made when i looked it over,
    if you look at the picture above, the gunshield is wider than on your model, and has a somewhat different shape.

also:
    20mmstickingbackwards.jpg

in this picture, you can see the 20mm gun barrel sticking backwards, labeled -1.
    which is in the stored position.
  • cloakingturtle
    This is one of my favorite tank model. Great work!
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    badass this tanks is beyond awesome!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    pretty sweet. saved to inspiration folder