Home Technical Talk

Photoshop 3d Paint Tutorial

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
This one has been a long time coming, I've had a few requests over the last year or so, and finally got the right combination of screen capture software and a good model to display. :) (Mop's Goblin)

SO here's the links, a tutorial in two parts on using Photoshop CS4 Extended's 3d paint capabilities

Part 1 - Getting Set Up

Part 2 - Painting Tools

Also apologies in advance for the Um's and breaths, I recorded this straight through with a hand held mic. Also the audio de-synchs a little.. happened during compression somehow. :(

That said I hope you all can find it useful and informative.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice job. I gotta try this out soon.
    Just a heads up, the mic gets bumped/blown into a lot, a little annoying.
    I laughed at the painting normal map bit.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Nice runthrough dude. I'll definitely have to give it a shot later.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    nice! thanks!
    I tried this out a while ago, and didn't like it because the paint area's near the sharp corners would all appear very stretched/pixellated or would not paint at all :) now i finally know how to set it to a higher falloff edge, thanks! an area i had only just painted would be ruined after rotating the camera and drawing some more.
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

I had played with the CS4 model painting but this was very nice to see a lot of the features I had not played with.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    This is great! Thanks so much, I think its awesome, because like you said, the less number of programs I have to switch between to texture the better.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Nice job. I gotta try this out soon.
    Just a heads up, the mic gets bumped/blown into a lot, a little annoying.
    I laughed at the painting normal map bit.

I do apologize for that. As soon as I can find/afford a mic stand or enough planks and duct tape I plan to fix that. The only headset mic I have gets really bad audio quality.

OH one thing I forgot to mention in the videos is you can use photoshop's selection tools on the 3d layer proper. So you can do quickmask, marquee, magic wand, etc oh yeah and filters work too.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    This almost looked like a presentation on why you shouldn't use CS4. I've watched some bodypaint tutorials and I've never witnessed what just happened when you applied the heart there on his cheek. That looked like it applied very poorly.

Also wouldn't painting on the normal map have any kind of value? Blending seams for example? 3d coat brags about this a little I think.

Anywho nice run through on the features. Thanks for recording it.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice! I need to get cs4.. Have 3 atm and it certainly leaves a lot to be desired.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Val quote: " serious...it pops right in" ummm

edit: just noticed - in video.2 what's with the artifacts on the goblins brow, as well as when you use the 'heart' stamp, when you flatten you get this greyscale stuff?

nah good walkthrough mate, i always had to go between standard pshop/mudbox painting and back again to do it properly, thanks for the tips..