Home Technical Talk

Tips for tree limb textures

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
keres polycounter lvl 12
I want to paint vegetation so badly! i can model it good enough, but when it comes to texturing them, i'm totally lost. So about a year ago, i bought a fairly nice digicam for help on this. I tried to snap a few tree limb textures with all kinds of techniques, but they all turned out crappy. I am thinking the only solution to my problems is if i can hand paint a tree limb texture, so therefor i've came here for advice on this. anyone give me pointers? i've got a fair background in hand painting textures, but they were mostly crete/metal/carpet textures and not anything nature-based.

thanks guys
-tom

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    post what you have so far , anything else is wasting time
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    For tips, check out the texture pack that creationtwentytwo linked to here. They have a decent painterly feel.

If you're into photosource, this mask-extraction tool looks neat.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    renderhjs, i haven't made anything for a while that i can show because i haven't attempted this in a while. a few weeks ago i tried making some, but became frustrated that i couldn't. i am now needing advice and a good technique before i start back up.

EricChadwick, i'm looking at handpainting photoreal tree limb textures in photoshop. i would rather not buy textures or models, as i won't be able to redistribute them if i included them in a game i make. I also have no good source for getting pictures of tree limbs. I mean, there's cgtextures, but everyone has access to that :|

edit: i also downloaded a couple plugins. i'll try these, but i prefer to model/texture them by hand...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    If you're going for a photo-real look, nothing beats photos. It's not a good use of a developer's time to have someone paint photo-realistic, unless it's something they can't get photos of. Still, photo textures do need editing.

I meant look at that set to get ideas, not to use directly. If you're going for a painterly look, nothing beats painting them yourself.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    If you swear by photosource, then have i missed something? i've tried taking pictures of flattened leaves in my garage on an overcast day & on a piece of red cardboard. turned out awful. i tried hanging it up in the air on a dark night, which worked _decent_ as far as getting the mask, but the image was too washed out.

Do you have a technique for doing this? what camera do you recommend?
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    for leaves strangely enough the overcast day thing is the opposite of what I want usually haha. I usually will try to find the leaf/branch I want and then hold it up against the clear blue sky. Try to be completely in shade though so that you don't get weird highlights on your subject.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    what kind of camera are you using?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I've tried all those methods, always ended up with halos in the RGB or bad edges in the Alpha.

My tips to take photos for texturing:
    1. The subject should be in shadow or during an overcast day or at dawn/dusk, to avoid directional lighting & specular/reflection in the color texture. A must.
    2. Use a camera with the largest sensor and decent lens. A SLR makes cleaner clearer sharper photos than any compact camera. Though I have been able to take good textures with a compact.
    3. Use the lowest ISO my camera has, for the least grain. A must.
    4. Use a tripod if the shutter speed is 1/100 or less, to avoid the hand-held blurries. Can use something stable nearby if no tripod, like a car roof or a rock.
    5. Use an uncompressed file format like RAW or TIFF, to avoid compression artifacts. Though sometimes I've used least-compressed JPG too.
    6. If I need to isolate an alpha channel later, position myself such that there are similar colors behind the object. Unless I have excellent chromakeying software, I won't be able to filter out the bloom that bleeds from the bkg into my subject. If it's a branch with leaves, take the shot against the rest of the tree, or against the grass, whatever color is the most similar. Then hand-paint the alpha, it goes quicker than I thought at first, and gives much better results.

More texture-photo tips... CGTextures: 10 Texture Photography Tips

Also, just found this excellent alpha-keyer, Topaz Remask, might be worth the price if you're doing a lot of alphas.