Homeโ€บ General Discussion

Heavy Rain

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
So the demo drops today/tomorrow. Anyone psyched for this? I've got high hopes for it based on the first half/two-thirds of Fahrenheit (and David Cage has apparently promised there'll be no supernatural crap either). As long as they keep it focused primarily on character drama I think I'll be a happy camper.

Replies

• Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i wish they'd chosen a different title, i go straight to tay zonday every time i read it
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    my best mate was a senior animator on Heavy Rain, HELL YEAH im hanging out to play !!!
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it last week via the ARG minigame. Hated it. QTEs suck and HR is the world's longest example yet.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thought I'd feel that way when I played through Fahrenheit, but found myself ok with them. The only thing that fucked me off was the last hour when they threw all that bullshit in and ruined the story.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    From what I've seen of the trailers, it's been really difficult to get past that uncanny valley thing.

I wish they had tried to stylize the characters somewhat. Seems like I'm trying to sympathize with inanimate marionettes.

I'm still hoping this is one of those 'genre-transcending' type games, but I'm going to hold off purchases until after the reviews come in.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I loved Indigo prophecy. At least until it totally jumped the shark with supernatural craziness. I'm really looking forward to heavy rain. My most anticipated game of the year.

Except I don't own a ps3. :(
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    yeah i really want to play this. any idea how long a gameplay session will last? or is it like a normal game? Cause for some reason i pictured "movie" timeline gameplay.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I loved Indigo prophecy. At least until it totally jumped the shark with supernatural craziness. I'm really looking forward to heavy rain. My most anticipated game of the year.

I feel the same way about Indigo Prophecy and I have been looking forward to Heavy Rain for years but unfortunately I'm in the same boat, no PS3 :(
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah man, I haven't been that disappointed in a piece of entertainment in a long time. Everything was so awesome, then they started throwing in a bit of paranormal stuff, but then all of a sudden, in the space of 5 minutes the game went from awesome to WTF (the rooftop fight til the
    MANIFESTED SENTIENT AIs... *facepalm* Also the completely out-of-left-field "I love you Lucas" wtf... and what a bullshit copout ending
    ).

I don't own a ps3 either. I'm getting one after work today (found out my monitor is hdcp-compliant, so I don't have to worry about spending on a telly).
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    The QTE's on Dante's Inferno are making pull my hair out, so I'm willing to bet Heavy Rain will make my head explode. Seriously, those things are so freakin stupid, and annoying, every time I see one, I wonder why I'm playing that game. They need to die.

It is a beautiful looking game, though, and mad props for originality.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    it kinda looks like Home made into a game. Everything is a bit too perfect and stiff. Sometimes it looks really great, other times its kinda boring. I think it might be the lighting too.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I'm in the "Don't own a PS3 but I want this game, hard" group.

I think it looks fantastic - It looks normal and everyday for the most part, but executed really fucking nicely, which is a nice change to orks, glowing power armour, or whatever.

Nice to see a serious attempt at realism, rather than "realism".

The only bad point about the QTE's in Indigo Prophecy, for me, was that I played it on a PC and didn't have the joypad, which would have been a load better, tbh :(
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I thought the first 3-4 hours of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy hinted at a definite direction for episodic gaming to take in the future. I can really see something similar, where you play an hour at a time every week and your actions change the story, becoming popular in years to come. The story-telling was pretty well handled in those early stages as well. I'm hopeful that Heavy rain will manage to avoid the pitfalls that destroyed Fahrenheit as an experience (endless QTEs and 'simon says' button pressing during cutscenes). Regardless of how it turns out, I'm thankful that somebody is using this medium to deliver a narrative and style of game that is different to pretty much everything else out there at the moment.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A demo! I may put Bioshock 2 down for a moment. I want to play this!

ADDED: I got my code, punched it in. Says it is already used? They are correct, I will try again at lunch. Maybe they have are not in the system yet? Anyone else have this?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I like Indigo as it was. QTE's don't bother me for this kind of game, I enjoyed it and made those moments tense. When I get my hands on Heavy Rain, I am sure I will be pleased as well, can't wait to try some of the events. As for the paranormal, it was "thrown in" from the start of the game (the whole bathroom stabbing thing), remember?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont: the paranormal stuff was ok; it was relatively light paranormal. The stuff atthe end was just silly, though. Kitchen sink approach. Physically-manifest sentient AIs? World ending conspiracies? Wire fu and flying rocks? Running 100m across the sidewall of a building?!

yeah, it jumped the shark bigtime. Also, sex with a dead guy. Creepy.

Anyways, PS3 has been acquired, updating is being done. Gonna download that shit after I get back from my girlfriend's place (while playing uncharted2/bayonetta :D)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was excited for this mostly to see how well they jump the uncanny valley, but then the media train started rolling and I've pretty much checked out.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just read that the codes will not work in US PS3's. The codes are for the EU PS Store
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the demo download before I left for work. Woot, chomping at the bit to try it out when I get home. :D
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Tested the demo yesterday, didnt know actually what to expect, played ofcourse Indigo Prophecy but this one is certanly more serious and dark, throw in some noir and great characters and you have yourself a nice cocktail. So yah, I was Impressed by the demo,No, I didnt get bothered by the QTE and yes it looks fantastic....best rain effects ever anyone?

I actually liked it some much that I fooled arround with the enviroment and animations.Nevertheless I wasnt interested in HR because I already have to play trough Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2, but looks like its gonna be a sad month for my pockets.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Wasn't too excited about this game...found it interesting, nothing more, but lately I somehow am totally hyped...don't know why...maybe I want a different game for once ;)
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    I want to play this and i don't own ps3.

sucks
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Played the demo today, voice acting and the script seem good. Graphics are great, no uncanny valley for me from what i played. Gameplay wise, good, its hard to say what you'll be doing apart from pushing buttons and measuring reflexes. I enjoyed it because the characters were beleivable and it drew me in, like a cool movie, if it resembles LA Confidential then i'll probably pick this up.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I knew I was gonna get this game before it came out. Demo just made me want it even more.

@ c0ldhands - A sad month indeed.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Man, I wish I could play this game. Not having a PS3 has actually been a bummer lately, there's a few games that I would love to play now.

I liked the supernatural stuff in Indigo Prophecy, mostly. The last couple hours were extremely rushed and silly but the idea behind it with the prophecy and stuff was really cool, I thought. But I am a whore for the supernatural/paranormal fiction. :P

It should be excellent though if it's just realistic stuff too. I mean. even though I liked the paranormal stuff, it still wasn't as awesome as the first half of the game.

I only played Indigo Prophecy in December, and I almost went through it in one sitting. Kind of good, because I didn't have to spend a lot of time anticipating this.:)
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played the demo just now...walking is a bit silly, but the rest I liked...should be great with a story...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik wrote: ยป
    Played the demo just now...walking is a bit silly, but the rest I liked...should be great with a story...
    Walking did get a bit of getting used to, then just think "Gas pedal" and aim where you want to go, I guess this is good for the quick cuts and stuff.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah..it works...and it is way less clunky than Resident Evil or Parasite Eve...at least you always walk where you're pointing the stick instead of turning relative to your current orientation...still...having to press an additional Button needs some getting used to...I'd prefer having to press the button in order to stand still and look around (the other way around as it is)...
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone visited their new office yet in this??? This game looks crazy!

I can not wait to play this more...In fact I am going to now! :)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still waiting for MDA (our government's media authority) to bloody approve it before I can get my mitts on it. I've got the whole day off, too. :\
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sucks so bad. I can not even type it out...
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I WANTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baww, I have a ps3, just no TV at the moment, lol
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    use your computer monitor?
  • rasmus
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I dont know what to think about this game. I heard a lot from friends saying its suppose to be a hit, and a one to look out for. But I just watched a couple of reviews which were kinda mixed. I think I'll play the demo first before I open the wallet
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The initial shots of the demo looked like good quality mental ray renders, definately got me interested:thumbup:
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is not like any video game I have ever played...I like it so far though.

Enjoying watching the story unfold.
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've played about 3.5 hours of it so far, and its fantastic. Its like their other game, Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit), so the gameplay isnt like anything else out there. That means its certainly not for everyone because you don't play the game the normal way. It would seem that its all just QTEs, but its more than that. You make decisions in the game based by deciding whether to successfully hit each button or not. I can't say its the most exciting, or engaging gameplay, but it doesnt seem like its going to get old and annoying at least. The scenes and story is fantastic though. I havent gotten too far into it yet, but you can really sympathize with the characters. Ethan mostly at this point in the game. It feels like you're playing a really good episode of Law and Order.

Also, the ARI is awesome. I thought it was just for crime scene investigation like in the demo, but it blew my mind.
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    Completed it in about 10 hours and loved every second. I'm going to play it through again and explore other scenarios.
    It seems pretty easy to have Ethan chucked in jail, I managed to avoid that every time, but I'll get him chucked in this time, maybe there's a jailbreak scenario or something!

Amazing art, the environments were quite small and closed off, so they really pushed the detail. They felt like a part of the world, you could often see far off into the distance in some angles and see the outside world going about it's business. A real living, breathing and raining atmosphere.

The closest to the feeling I got from playing Shenmue for the first time. That game drew me in big time, even more so than Heavy Rain I think.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Maannnnn... just beat it.

So... first off Im going to say, for the most part... i HATED the story, and the direction the devs took it (some areas anyways). Seemed like they were bringing in some old indigo prophecy things that honestly didn't fit, and made me go "Wtf... why".

I was pretty pissed until the very end, when it all came together in a weird way... but I enjoyed it. I was doing pretty good overall... until the very end, and I fucked up :(

If it wasn't for the very ending I would be disappointed, but now I'm "ok" with it.

I was hyped for the game, but I thought my hype was realistic, I was looking forward to an awesome story that was more grounded then what I experienced.

I'm hoping remedy can pull off Alan Wake :P
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    what a rollercoasterride!, haven't felt this stressed over consequences playing a game before.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. The game was everything I expected and more. Best storyline in a game (for me) since Max Payne. The animations were awesome, the graphics were great (both my uncle and dad walked in and asked what film I was watching) and just all round brilliant.

I completed it in 2 days flat (Not a short game just spent WAY too long on it haha) and I just want to go back and play it some more and see what other ending I can come up with :)
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
    Anyone have an idea what software was used for the engine and character modeling? Wikipedia doesn't mention the modeling packages...
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mostly Maya.

Proprietary engine and tools.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I've really been loving this - even though its one long "quicktime event," its really a cool experience and play with interactive storytelling.

I have been riddled with problems trying to play it though. The game will drop to 2-5fps at times, it has hardlocked on me 4 times, and for a while - my save game would absolutely not load until i fully powered down the ps3 by unplugging it and letting it sit for a while. During the installation, the entire UI flickered (I thought it was supposed to be like that, since the mega warning for epileptic episodes and or seizures), and geometry was missing in the world. I've been really trying to keep my patience and get through it - because it really is cool, just really annoyed that the experience is destroyed by either the game, or the ps3 failing.

They did a great job to make it "not a game," there aren't obnoxious pickups and collectibles in levels, its completely up to your choices and how you want to play. I enjoy and respect that, just sad i'm constantly reminded that it is a game, and not a movie/book, by the technical problems that really should not exist.
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
    moose wrote: ยป
    I've really been loving this - even though its one long "quicktime event," its really a cool experience and play with interactive storytelling.

I have been riddled with problems trying to play it though. The game will drop to 2-5fps at times, it has hardlocked on me 4 times, and for a while - my save game would absolutely not load until i fully powered down the ps3 by unplugging it and letting it sit for a while. During the installation, the entire UI flickered (I thought it was supposed to be like that, since the mega warning for epileptic episodes and or seizures), and geometry was missing in the world. I've been really trying to keep my patience and get through it - because it really is cool, just really annoyed that the experience is destroyed by either the game, or the ps3 failing.

They did a great job to make it "not a game," there aren't obnoxious pickups and collectibles in levels, its completely up to your choices and how you want to play. I enjoy and respect that, just sad i'm constantly reminded that it is a game, and not a movie/book, by the technical problems that really should not exist.

That's odd. I totally agree with you about how great this is (it is now my joint favorite game of all time). But i've only had it freeze at one point (the luggage lockers with ethan) and i've played it through almost three times (maybe you played more than that?). Not had any geo dissapear the only bug i get often is necks twist head to the side for a split second making them jerk but this is infrequent. I've only had my ps3 for a few weeks but i've noticed it flickers in the ps3 menus until i get into a game. This is weird and i've not found out why except that it's maybe a handshake issue but haven't resolved it. Could this be an issue with what you're getting?

I could talk about this game forever! The skin looks pretty good on some of the lead characters... i wonder how they did that maybe something similar to Transmission masks? Or maybe their Quantic's engine can handle a spoof/basic type of SSS? If anyone has any links to behind the scenes stuff for this game i'd really appreciate it as the special edition didn't have much tech stuff...
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add me to the list of people who loved and beat the game! :)
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I'm about two thirds of the way through and overall I'm really enjoying it. I've not noticed any technical problems myself. I actually think I've enjoyed the private detective's sections of the game most of all because they're generally paced more slowly and have time to let the characters develop a little more fully. Also, he seems to have less of the button-pressing QTEs which do get a little tiresome. It kind of seems like Quantic Dreams felt obliged to have one of those every five minutes or so to keep it feeling like a videogame for people who aren't fans of adventure games. I wish there were more challenges that were cerebral in nature - the scene in the clock repair shop is a great example of evoking tension without resorting to hitting an arbitrary sequence of buttons. It's pretty incredible how much attention to detail has gone into areas of the game that you only spend a couple of minutes in. I'd really be interested in a director's cut that let you explore each scene in greater detail - again I get the feeling that Quantic Dreams is under pressure to keep things moving at a very fast pace.

In terms of the plot, I think I'm cutting it some slack because it is a game rather than a book or film. There are some pretty huge plot holes and instances where characters act in very implausible ways that do detract from the experience, but they aren't quite unbelievable enough for me to stop playing. I still feel that this area really needs to improve greatly if this type of interractive fiction is going to challenge other forms of narrative-driven entertainment.

Overall though, this really does feel like a breath of fresh air. I know there have been a lot of very accomplished games released in recent months, but it wasn't until I played Heavy Rain that I realised just how fatigued I had become with having essentially the same experience over and over again. I really hope that this game is succesful enough to warrant further titles from Quantic Dreams and that this niche of gaming widens in the future.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally sat down and started playing it. Having a lot of fun.