Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Cathedral

paulsvoboda
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
Well, I believe that this i my first WIP thread here...not entirely sure about that though. But I've been working on an environment of an Abandoned Cathedral which is sitting on an eroding cliff.
I am putting this in In UE3 (which I am also trying to learn) and really need some critique, help/advice and anything else.

Here are a couple of the High Poly Models:
PillarRender.jpg
DoorwayRender.jpg
HP_Column_Large.jpg
RoseWindow.jpg

And here is what I have in UE3 so far:
newprogressShot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg
roofProgress.jpg
roofProgress3.jpg
roofProgress2.jpg

Replies

• OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Damn. That's lookin good!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, nice work so far man. I'm excited to see this finished. Will there be any assets that will break up the color scheme a little?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Some very solid base assets here. Bit over saturated and there might be a bit too much contrast in the diffuse, especialy in your darks.

This is a common mistake, making single assets look really cool by increasing contrast and bumping up saturation, but if you want the lighting and shadows to look better in the scene, you're going to want a more muted tonal range in the textures. This will allow your shadows and lighting to really shine. You may notice when you look at your assets in lighting only mode you see a well lit scene, but when you put your texturing back on it overpowers the lighting.

A good way to adjust these in UDK without having to deal with photoshop is to use a saturation node in your material editor, multiply it by a constant under 1 till you have the desired result. As for the contrast plug your texture into a power node and use a value under 1, this will serve to reduce the contrast while brightening the texture (you're going to have to play with it). From there just multiply it down to bring it back in line.

Hope that helps. Honestly the scene's looking really good as is, i wouldn't go overboard adjusting things.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies
    @sXe Seany - Ya, breaking up the colour scheme is definitely something I will be doing with a couple assets as it is getting boring.
    @crazyfingers - Thanks a lot for the help - Will definitely try this out in Unreal. I'm really enjoying the Material editor in it but do have a question - when editing materials is it better to do it in Unreal itself or try doing most of that work in Photoshop. By better, I mean 'cheaper'.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had the same fears when i first started, that heavy tweaks to materials would start making the game chug, this really isn't the case. Best thing you can do, especially since you're learning UDK is to learn how to tweak textures in engine. It comes at virtually no cost in performance.

I'd highly reccomend opening base packages within the editor to see just how crazy each and every material in the Unreal Tournament 3 was. Just get in there and get your hands dirts, play with textures as much as you can. There's plenty to learn and there's really no point to worrying about performance at all right now, if you're curious you can view your shader complexity in your level using one of the view modes.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Yea I agree that you have a bit too much variation and contrast in the diffuse on some of those, especially the pillars. It makes the scene look too busy, and masks all the great shapes you have in your high poly. Tone that down, and I think the scene as a whole will look much better.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work so far but I wonder why has the pillar steel bars o n its inside? Medieval pillar where not build that way. Instead each stone was just put on the other maybe with some kind of composite material between them. With the steel bars it looks more like a modern concrete pillar.

If you go for a historical look of your scene you should change that.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice highpoly work :)
    Agreed on the pillar textures, the rebar looks a bit strange but still compliments the high poly somehow, though the way your scene is developing texture wise they probably wouldn't work very well. One thing I'm not a fan of is the wooden roof, stone and plaster would be much nicer and give more freedom in design imo.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    That is looking awesome! Really diggin your highpoly work!
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Wow real nice man! You made the high poly work in Zbrush I take it? How long is it taking to do each high poly asset?
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking good. Like others have said, the materials are too busy.

The choice of red brick looks out of place... wouldn't stone slab be more fitting?
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, sorry for my terrible lack of updates recently - I really have no excuse. Thank you so much for all the comments so far, they've helped me alot - it's amazing how much you don't see when you've been staring at the same thing for so long.
    Replies:
    @crazyfingers - Thanks a lot for that. Took a look around some of the levels and packages in Unreal and will continue to do so. I'm really enjoying the engine.
    @SlaveZero and GCMP - I totally agree on the pillar. I am going for a Gothic Revival style Church and at the time had thought that some concrete could have been used which looking back, was not the smartest of conclusions. It will be absent in the final.
    @G3L - When I began this project I didn't plan ahead very well and therefore 'doodled' around too much and made a lot of mistakes which slowed down the process. Once I began and had my mind set on the piece I wanted it went a lot quicker (for me) and each piece was finished in less than a day ( can't quite say the exact time, sorry)
    @Tim Deneau I chose brick mainly because of the time period (Gothic Revival) and personal preference - right now I'm not exactly liking the brick texture myself (mainly the saturation and colour) and will try to update that.

-Once again, I am really sorry for the lack of updates. Communication is something I definitely need to improve and will try to post more frequently.

For the update:
    I toned down some of the diffuse (still may need to be done more) and am trying to work on getting everything at least textured at this point.
    I appreciate any comments, critiques (please, tear this thing apart for me).

Feb11Update2.jpg
    Feb11Update3.jpg
    Feb11Update4.jpg
    Feb11Update5.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Nice progress Paul, Im watching your work on game artist forums I see you popped up over here also now. Those renders of the high polys are interesting, what was your setup like to do those?
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ajr - My render setup is pretty much a basic 3 point light scheme with a strong rim. I'll post up a short guide to how I go about it - It's nothing special and probably not very efficient but it works for me - I have read that some people do it with just three lights and achieve renders much better that these - one name that come to mind is http://www.ilyanedyal.com/

Anyways - here is the setup breakdown
    renderSetup.jpg
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    That is just really impressive work. The lighting needs a little more color, and maybe less brightness...but the modeling is great.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    very cool stuff man !
    keep it up !
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Your high poly work is great! And your final assets are also nice, good texturing. but I don't like the ingame screens. They feel monochromatic, pale (or washed out) and lacking contrast and the lighting is not helping at all.

I'd say to try and mess around with the scene a little bit more, go ahead and tweak the lighting (it would help having some kind of concept art pic, to 'rip' the lighting and mood from) try and get the mood of the scene to a decent state, and then tweak your materials.
    I'm saying this because, if you start tweaking your textures and materials now, and only after that tweak the scene (lights) you'll probably come up with weird results and assets standing out more than they should, everything must fall under an even harmony.

Oh and yeah, get rid of that rebar, lol.

gl man!
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    I really like all the sculpting and hi poly work you're doing for this. I'd like to see some deep darks in the areas behind the columns at some point, to help with that ominous cathedral look. Maybe it'd cool if the weather was more overcast or wet to show how exposed some of the interior areas are to the elements.

Great beginnings on this!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Nice highpoly assets, the lighting in the UE3 scene is destroying your work though. It looks over lit and i have a hard time reading and shapes. If you're not using lightmass I suggest using that, use a dominant directional light to get nice shadows. Try starting off with the 1 directional light and turn diffuse boost in world properties down to 1 from 5 (this will keep the light from bouncing around too much) turn ambient occlusion on. Start off with the 1 directional light and go from there maybe it'll help your scene read better :)
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments. i really appreciate the time you guys take to critique work - it's extremely helpful.
    @Helder Pinto: Thank you and agreed. I am going to go back in and tweak the lighting. There seems to be quite a difference from the screens I'm taking in UE3 and the actual in game look, but I think this is mainly because of my monitor calibration for UE3. But I do see how the lighting is not working well and will probably start over with it. (and the rebar is gone :) )
    @cycloverid: I'm actually hoping to do two versions of this lighting-wise and hopefully one of them will have much cooler lighting.
    @Jordan W: Thanks a lot for that useful info and critique - I agree with you completely - I'm currently working in UE3 and not UDK for school reasons and as far as I know, lightmass is not there. I'm planning on moving it over regardless and will definitely do what you suggested.
    For now, I'll go back and redo the lighting. A quick question, and I understand this may be difficult to answer as it may vary, but when you are lighting you're scene, for a fully naturally lit scene, how many omni lights are you using if any at all to generate some bounce?

Once again, thanks a lot for the comments - will keep working on this and hopefully make some improvements :)
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice work man could we per-happen-chance (lol) see the wires. I am really interested to see how much was modeled and how much was taken care of with the normals
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    thanks for the reply! good to know!

i agree, i think the lighting doesnt have enough contrast just yet but i'm sure that'll come with time. its hard to make out the pillars and other assets in the scene when everything kinda looks the same but maybe some changes in the lighting would benefit your scene instead of changing the materials and colors on your assets.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    If you're using old UE3 simulating bounce lighting can be an arduous task but it's doable. I would start out with the 1 directional light then place dim point lights a few feet off the surface that's halfway between the color of the light and surface color. You don't need to do this everywhere just places you need to see bounce lighting. Simulating indirect light from the sky will be trickier. You could try multiple really dim directional lights pointing various directions in a hemisphere.

You should certainly jump on UDK when you get the chance, there's a lot of improvements in there that'll help you create your scene :)
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Man those are really cool, I can't wait to see the final scene. How long does each texture usually take you?
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I'm loving this scene, everything looks very sweet, I can't wait to see it finally done.
  • snakes23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really cool so far. any chance you could specify your workflow/show some base wires etc. im doing a very similar project, creating an environment to be taken into unreal, so any pointers etc would be really helpful
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
    Roof is looking to hard, it should have more supports or it should fall on down, but if you don't want fallen roof please cut some woods on roof.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the comments and critique.
    I've Made some progress - not much in the past few days. Been working on the lighting trying to add a bit more interest and contrast and fix some of the issues I was having. I'm not entirely loving the current light scheme but I think it is working better than the last one.
    As for the lack of colour I'm hoping that adding some broken stained glass windows will help out some.
    As always - your critique is a huge help and is greatly appreciated.

Replies:
    @PhattyEwok - I'll try to start some shots of the wires individually as taking shots of the wires of your entire scene is a mess.

@JordanW - Thank you so much for all you help. When this class is over (Which is soon) I'll take this into UDK and work in there.

@doseph - Each texture really varies on how long it takes and I really don't have any solid answer...sorry! If you haven't already take a look at some of the Speed Texturing Challenges and check out the quality of work people can produce in a short amount of time (in particualr - here

@snakes23: My workflow is pretty standard. I'm making each asset in Maya and taking some of them into Zbrush for further detailing. I'm then assembling all the assets inside of Unreal trying to break them up as much as possible. I read somewhere that the engine reads each piece in 400 poly bunches so obviously the more broken up your level is the better - You can then instance all these assets and place them where ever. If you take a look at some of the Unreal maps its really crazy how much each asset is broken up and then instanced.
    Then I'm just baking out normal and AO maps and texturing the assets and bringing those textures into Unreal. For Normals I usually am overlaying a general bumpy concrete like normal map over each one to add detail (Which is something I've overdone on a bunch of pieces).
    @Sliterin - Thanks man - I'll start breaking the roof up more.

progress3.jpg
    progress1.jpg
    progress2.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    beautiful but also very very brown, some colour in the lighting or atmosphere would be really nice
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
    You should add there some tangles on walls (models not on textures) and it would look better.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you have been doing an amezing work on it is marely crit-able but I must suggest you something in regards to your work.

From one of your prospective, if you see it. There is no lens flare. Adding that would be a nice contribution! Also adding some more colourful map to the upper parts of the wall would be nice too!
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Love this! Where is that spectacular rose window from the early asset renders? I would be aiming to make that a focal point, pretty sure I would gravitate towards it if I was playing it as a level.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I tend to agree with Ged. I'd add more color. The grass is a great start, you can keep it all earthy and such. It just needs something extra. Being an old Cathedral, let's assume that they would have decorations and banners hanging down (more than Catholics do this but its who comes to my mind) to symbolize different feasts or events. Perhaps two or three tattered purple banners? It's be a stark contrast but it would break up the scene but still fit the darker tones somewhat. The other thing would be maybe some broken or rotten church pews?

Very amazing work none the less though. I want to play the game this would be in!! And stare at it...
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Looking very nice, but I have to agree with the others on adding some color. Just because this is 'next gen' doesn't mean it has to be muted and all earth toned. The grass is giving it a little more life though. Maybe you could get some color to the scene by adding cloth or artifacts that may have been left behind.
  • yubbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good, nice to see someone making something other then a bunker or a crate or a dirty alley :).

I think you should fix the broken pillar. Those pillars are there for a reason, without them the structure they support falls down so having it knocked out looks unrealistic to me. You should also consider removing the Classical decoration on the pillars as these look odd in an environment with so many gothic credentials. Great stuff overall :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beautiful lighting man wonderful!
  • Kylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kylen null
    Really nice work Paul! Do you bake out your AO and Normal maps in Maya or Zbrush? I'm currently trying to lock down a proper workflow myself and find Maya isn't really cutting it.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Nice progress Paul, I do agree with the others regarding th color contrast ,alot of brown that my eyes read. Some decorations like the torn banners would be a nice addition.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Wow. This is coming along awesome. Love the lighting and texture work. Can't wait to see it all finished. Keep up the great work.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for another slow update. So, as a school project, this was due in yesterday and I finished as much as I could for it although personally, I still feel I have alot to put in and quite a ways to go so I will continue working on this and hopefully start up something as well on the side. I think I'll have more time to work on this as I won't have a group project to work on as well.
    Thanks a lot for the comments - As always, they help a lot.

@ Flave-Fly - Thanks for the suggestion - I've moved the windows around and put the original ones in the Transept as that area felt empty.
    @ Rurouni Strife - Thanks a lot - I'll hopefully get thos banners in soon. Those are on the top of my 'priority' list for the moment.
    @Kylen - my AO and normal maps are baked in either Maya or I have started to use Xnormal (as it's pretty fast and generates some nice looking maps)

Here are some updated shots:

Shot5.jpgShot1.jpgShot2.jpgShot6.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looking reallllllllly nice man. I have no crits, but I have a suggestion if you feel up to putting in the work, lol.. You have a really nice stained glass window there, if you were to change the direction of the light you could add in a nice coloured shadow on the ground or walls... like so:

206671907OBQkFC_ph.jpg300px-Santes_Creus_monastery_stained_glass.jpg

It would help add some colour to your scene as well as some visual interest. I know I saw a tutorial for this effect somewhere.. If I come across it, I will post the link. :)
  • Kylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kylen null
    Cool, Paul. I have been trying to use Maya for baking out normals as well but have been having a whole assortment of issues with artifacting and whatnot.

Another thing that is puzzling me is bringing my low poly geometry into Zbrush for sculpting. When I subdivide the Geo it quickly blobs out of form, and when I crease all edges the geo builds up too quickly around every low poly edge. It also seems when I double up edges on the low poly they don't hold form very well when zbrush subdivides. Do you mind sharing your expiriences and or workarounds with these issues? Thanks!
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @brandoom - Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that out and it would be great if you could find that tutorial. At the moment I kind of like the light direction but your idea is really good. I think I may try putting some stained glass into the side windows and try it out.
    @Kylen - For bringing low poly stuff into Zbrush, well, I tend not to do that. I usually start out and build geometry which is very high not worrying at all about the polycount and building it out with a smooth modifier (in max) or pressing 3 to view the final result (in Maya - and then afterwards, converting it into the smooth geometry by going to Modify>Convert>Convert to smooth mesh Preview). Build out the geometry in it's low poly version but always be checking what it looks like smooth. When you are satisfied with the result, add in edges to evenly divide the mesh (ie. Try to make all your polygons as square as possible) and then put it into Zbrush - this will make it so that when you sculpt, each area will be evenly detailed as each are has the same amount of vertices(or polys) which can be moved/modified.
    If this isn't clear, tell me and I'll try to make a more visual explanation.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightingReference.html

scroll down to Light Functions

I'm actually doing this in my level, probably going to post some questions about it in the udk thread. It's perfect for stained glass windows.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Ha, Cholden beat me to it. But I also found a similar post..

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html - Scroll down to "Translucent Shadows"

Good luck :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Came out really great man, still think the totally black blacks could use some tuning up, but eh, the scene works so not really a big deal. That stained glass really brought some punch and expanded the pallet, good stuffs.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    I am digging it, looking awesome!
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Has anyone found or can anyone create a small guide to how best to represent the stained glass lighting in UDK? It has recently come up in a small project I'm working on and the two links given in this thread are not detailed enough for me (I'm pretty new to UDK). The addition of that lighting would really make it pop!

*Edit - I'm gonna post this in support instead, don't wanna hijack your fine art thread!