Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[SDK] - Goblin!

Replies

• Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Moose: Your a legend man, you better finish this!!! Im watching with ravenous intent!!!
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    @spug: very nice! :)

@moose: This looks very promising. I liked the face on his shoulder, too. Perhaps a second skin completely in that design if you have the time? That would be awesome.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've been having a go at this to christen my new intuos 4

i have not done one of these - a handpainted character texture - for literally years. Slow and rusty as hell, good fun though and the new wacom is ace. I've got a free weekend, hey i may even finish it. (yeah)

gobgrab_satmorn.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    moose that is amazing!
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    crap if Moose is doing something, I GOTTA do something now.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    moose: awesome start, interesting that you're doing it greyscale. kenneth scott q3 style ftw!

danr: nice to see you doing this, red skin is working well - cool detail around the eye too. definitely do more if it remains fun :)

b1ll: yes! you can probably do something in 30 minutes that's better than mine
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    b1ll: God damnit man you mean youre going to blow the dust off that wacom ?????!!! SWEEEEEEEEEEEET :P
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    thanks everyone!! The comments are really propelling me forward to finish this guy and rock shop :) haha, forgot how much fun this stuff is! we need bi-weekly sdks!

Had a few hours before its 100-parties-to-attend day. Workin belts now, but didnt have time to assemble a shot.

gob_wip03.jpg

Mop: hehe, yeah - its been so long that i just wasn't feeling comfortable and failing over and over. Decided to get back into it this way, but i keep having to stop myself from going into the color land for consistency :)

bill: gogogogogogogo

noren: thanks mang, yeah - i was a little sad to cover it up, ill try to work it in if it fits!

danr: love the eyes :)

anux & hazard: you guys sustain me <3
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    That looks sweet Moose..

What a thread... just like old times :)
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, moose. Very crisp painting. I may give this a try. It's been a long time.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    dear moose,
    please keep going and finish the textrue on this SDK.

kthknzbie
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose: That is the most insane value texture painting I have seen in so long. How do you get it so sharp!?

The best thing is, even without colour I can tell the difference in the materials. This will look insane when its finished!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    That's awesome Moose. This thread has a lot of inspiring texture work :)

Just looking for crits with what I have so far.

hai_goblinWIP03.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    gah... double post, sorry.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    updat!

gob_wip04.jpg

Anux: thanks!! :D The sharpness comes from lots of 1px brushing and trying to keep a steady hand :o I will run an Unsharp filter on it as well once i scale it to 512. These shots are all 1024, so they're super crispy with the unsharp. here is a piece of the flat (dont want to post the entire thing til its done!). I alternate between the antialiased and aliased brushes in photoshop for tight edges and corners, and lots of pixel massagin. I also use a lot of the polygonal lasso tool, rectangular, and circle selection tools to get perfect selections and areas. after that, its a lot of addition and subtraction of shapes with different values.

gob_wip04flatpiece.jpg

Haiasi: dig that chain mail!! It definitely gives him a cool look there, and plays off the shirt well! Could maybe try to work some more variation into the flesh, like the undersides of the arm as a pale-er green/yellow (whitish), and maybe some spots bleeding that black on the fingers up the arm. Could add some slight color variation in the face, going cool-warm-cool from forehead to chin.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Looking faanntastic moose!
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, that texture is fucking yummy, moose. :O Love the braided lanyards and the fur trim.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    These are incredible :) nice to see peoples different techniques aswell, may have a go when I get some free time
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    WalknTalknMonkey : Looks like a great start, but the flesh looks a little blown out with all the white. Could maybe stand a bit of a darker value shift.
  • woogity
    moose: very cool i love your greyscale paintings! such insane detail!

-Woog
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    do you guys have any good tips for all this. iv taken a couple of shots but i feel like im missing some fundemental bits out :p
  • neolith
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    One of the wee free men and a penis nose on another goblin = awesome thread!
  • rikkustarr
    If I did this, would I be allowed to use my texture in my demo reel? I tried sending this question to you in a private message, but it wouldn't let me. :]

And if you have any models that you would let me use, please let me know.

Thank you!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose: Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely incorporate everything you've stated :)
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
    Rikkustarr: While I would think some of the textures being painted in this thread could help land one a job working on handpainted organic textures (moose), a major component of the final look (the AO bake) was made by MoP and it could cause some confusion about how much of the detail was there to begin with and how much is your own work. I, of course, can't speak for him or any potential employers, but the vibe I get is that this is more for practicing your handpainting skills.

Just my two cents.

Also I'm really thinking of joining in on this to up my texturing game, but I've got to think of something original first.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    rikkustarr wrote: »
    If I did this, would I be allowed to use my texture in my demo reel? I tried sending this question to you in a private message, but it wouldn't let me. :]

And if you have any models that you would let me use, please let me know.

Thank you!

A lot of folks used to do this. As a rule of thumb, you should contact the artist and let them know you'd like to use it as a show piece - as well as clearly indicating on the sheet that you did not create the model. To reinforce your abilities to texture, you could also texture it 3-4 times, with each being a different representation of the model, showing your diversity in designs and ability to change a low poly mesh into multiple things (efficiency).

In "the days old," this was much more common, as may people would post SDK threads, and the community would texture them. Recently, with the upsurge of high poly modelling and normal maps, this has dwindled off, as the design is handled by the modeller instead of a texture artist creating their creative take on the model.

You could peruse THIS THREAD for other user's SDKs if you're looking for more practice.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    moose wrote: »
    A lot of folks used to do this. As a rule of thumb, you should contact the artist and let them know you'd like to use it as a show piece - as well as clearly indicating on the sheet that you did not create the model. To reinforce your abilities to texture, you could also texture it 3-4 times, with each being a different representation of the model, showing your diversity in designs and ability to change a low poly mesh into multiple things (efficiency).

In "the days old," this was much more common, as may people would post SDK threads, and the community would texture them. Recently, with the upsurge of high poly modelling and normal maps, this has dwindled off, as the design is handled by the modeller instead of a texture artist creating their creative take on the model.

You could peruse THIS THREAD for other user's SDKs if you're looking for more practice.

/agree with everything said.

I did use some of peeps SDK models on my site once upon a time. Go for it! Just make sure that you have the permission of said modeler to host it.

@Moose: Totally diggin the work man, very badass. I use to work in greyscale before I went to the color, but on this I stuck strictly to color.

@Noren: Thanks man, it's a great model, and I haven't done a character in about a year or so. :)

Updatez: Meh, my anatomy blows.

blahq.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    I asked MoP and he approved of me using it. Same as moose said, always ask the original artist. You should still PM him and ask him even though he approved of me using it.
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin really good Spug. I love the facets and paint strokes you've got going on in the texture.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, Everyone! My name is Daniel, I've been a long time lurker (Shame on me) but now I decided to join this great community and participate in this fun stuff! :D

Still WIP, and Its my first Painted attempt in a 3D model, (I only used to do normal mapped stuff. =P)

captgoblinwip.png
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    @HandSandwich: Thanks :) I have been playing with a new technique for this. (At least for me)

Update, Armor TIME:
    armorf.jpg
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Absolutely diggin this spug... great colors.. and you have that "chiseled" approach that i've come to covet of exceptional texture artists.. very fun man.. keep it up
  • OzMa
    Hi, Everyone! My name is Daniel, I've been a long time lurker (Shame on me) but now I decided to join this great community and participate in this fun stuff! :D

Still WIP, and Its my first Painted attempt in a 3D model, (I only used to do normal mapped stuff. =P)

captgoblinwip.png

Glad to see some spanish people here, Good work! (Buen comienzo ;) ) Nice start ;)
  • Rory_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    beautiful texture work there Spug.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Delete Please!
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Updates, I must work a lil bit more on the Highlights and add more colour.
    Im Enjoying this, thanks for the model! ^^

captgoblinwip6.png
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, finished my little goblin up. Going to throw him up on my 'folio tomorrow.

Thanks again, MoP!

Textured entirely in Photoshop CS4, adjustment to normals in Maya, final renders in Marmoset.

Lit
    shermanIsaiah_finalGoblinWebLit.jpg

Unlit
    shermanIsaiah_finalGoblinWebUnLit.jpg

1024x2 Diffuse Texture
    shermanIsaiah_finalGoblinWebTexture.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Very Nice Haiasi!

I should give a try to PS CS4, im still using CS3.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I like it, nice textures :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    oh that looks really great Haiasi! Grats on finishing!
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 15
    Very cool Haiasi - I had to try it on the model just to see it up close - really love the detail on the skin, especially the goblin liver spots lol! :D

A quick question - back in the halcyon days of UT when I used a program call UTSkinmaker to preview the textures on the models, it rendered then with no filtering etc, and though I set the viewports to show the highest bitmap/mipmap size , it's still looking fuzzy, is there a way to force it to the full texture res?

For example, I'll save the PSD with the UVW layer on, but it'll just show as 4 pixel dots, as if the texture was a hastily scaled down 128^2px mipmap, instead of the 1024^2px goodness.

fail_texture_filtering_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Managed an eye.
  • Inkfish
    Thanks for a really cool SDK MoP!

Here's my wip (first time had painting textures, so c&c is really welcome)

goblin_wip.png
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great Inkfish it has a real paint look in it!

I just see that you could clean some minor spots, like a zone in the ear and maybe make the spike of the shield more in tone with the rest, but this is like i said just minor stuff, great job
  • Inkfish
    Thanks Ca Hotkill!

The zone in the ear is a missing piece of geometry, didn't want to mess with that so i wouldn't mess up the UVs. Good point on the spike, i noodled with it a bit more

Here's the result, thanks again for a great SDK MoP, it was fun :)

goblin_final.png
  • BeatKitano
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Screen1000-1267288928719_m.jpg

why are you quitting now? you're not even finished, keep going.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, is not looking bad soo far, keep going BeatKitano.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix: I don't know the answer to that. It comes up fuzzy for me as well, that's why I brought mine into Marmoset.
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 15
    Haiasi wrote: »
    JohnnySix: I don't know the answer to that. It comes up fuzzy for me as well, that's why I brought mine into Marmoset.

Hmmm - it seems okay in renders, but yeah, once it's more 'finished' looking, I'll stick it in Marmoset. Shame 'cos I love the 'move camera - texture updates' thing in max. :(

Goblin_Texture_WIP_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Got distracted and made a quick stone BG.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    @Haiasi: Turned out great! Im really diggin the color variations.

@BeatKitano: KEEP GOING!

Update on mine, just gettin the base colors down then i'm going to go back in and grunge him up, and give him a little more variation. Def still a Wip.

updatege.jpg