Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Tribal Guard

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted anything. And it's about time I get back to putting myself out there and getting critiqued. :poly124:

This is my first 3d character that I'm doing for one of my classes. I'm going all the way with normals and baking and blah blah the whole drill! So far I have my low poly, and my WIP sculpt so far. The 2nd image is a test high poly w/o the sculpt.

I've included my original concept as well as my shitty VERY quick drawings that I used as a guide-line in while in max. As always please critique the shit out of this, I can handle it! :\

GuardConcept-1.png

Guard_Turnaround.png

4547.png

4546.png

4545.png

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try making that posture with your arms, watch how the forearm works. The upper arm looks a bit short too. I like the more rugged look from the first concept more. ;)
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    How does the mask stay on his head?

Also, like throttle kitty said, the arms are a bit off... and his mouth is a lot weaker in the model than in the concept. I'm assuming you're not going to animate the mask (like you would a face) so just model in the expression that you wanted to have for it. Right now it's just... blank stare guy.

The little cylinders on his sides are very different than in the concept too btw. I'd go with the concept version again there.

Looking good though overall, keep it up sir!
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty- yeah that forearm wasn't sitting right with me either. and I totally forgot about those scars that I had in the original! lol! Thanks!

@llamajuice-yeah the face seemed to have changed with the high poly, I'll make sure to give it some personality, very good point. Although, I am confused about the cylinders. I modeled straight off the image. Thanks though!
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About ready to bake! A few touches here and there to make sure it goes well.

bakeprep.jpg
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, well your cylanders even differ between the first picture and your turnaround sheet (first pic has 3, turnaround has 4)

Anyhow, what I was talking about was that in the concept I got the feeling that the cylanders wrap around the sides of the guy, rather than being entirely stiff and such. Also in the concept they don't fall in a straight line down the hip, they bulge out a bit which makes them more interesting.

Also, did you change the forearm's length? The elbow still looks like it's sitting high.
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Reminds me of "Road to Elderado". I'm liking the work so far, I think I'll wait until I see a more finished product before I start tossing in my little addition suggestions. Still looking beautiful so far, looking forward to an update. : 3
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @llamajuice - haha omg I did apparently add another cylinder! Yeah, I always intended them to be straight on like that. But I'm definitely curious on how they would looked curved. I'll just throw a bend modifier and test it out. And yeah I did lengthen them, are you sure thats not the armor piece sticking out of the body, not the elbow? I went back and fixed that too.

@Legion - Thanks! I'm looking forward to update too :)
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog polycounter lvl 8
    very nice work eric, its coming along nicely. I would like to see some more defined folds in the cloth though. Right now they look a little bit muddy. try looking at something like this

0479412205677R__ASTL_300x400.jpg

brian_reyes_silk_drape_445.jpg

59882-050-C7609D67.jpg
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what I meant. Your upper arm is really really short compared to the forearm.

SmallArms.jpg
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    From the two posts above, comes my agreement. The upper arm is a little on the stubbed side, and seeing some nice defined folds as Paulewog mentioned above would be a definite plus. I think though, first start at ground level (get the body finished up nice and tidy, the way you want it), then move onto articles of clothing and gear, etc....

On a couple quick notes however: I haven't seen the strap(s) that hold the mask to his face, are you planning to put any on? Aswell as some hair.

So many ways to go about it though. Keep us posted, Sirdelita!
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paul - yeah now that I'm looking at it, the cloth needs more loving.

@llamajuice - the pinch on the front of the elbow is too high. I feel the low poly looks fine, but when I sculpted it, that proportion has been lost, I will make sure to fix that.

@legion - I didn't plan on hair, was going to make him bald and just do a texture..as far as the strap, I totally forgot about it when I was designing...dunno if I'm going to go back and change it. we'll see :)
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, here is the body bake (ignore low detail on the stomach and thigh region, as you will not see this part...lol.

llama I pulled on that bicep and hopefully its long enough for you! :)

BodyBAKE.jpg
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    upper arm is still short

prop_male.gif
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OKKKKK After MANY frustrating trial and errors. I have a half-way decent AO and bake. I still need to lengthen those arms a bit but overall 1 step took me much longer than I thought! :) First time doing these things is always soooo fun! GOGOGO LEARNING PROCESS!!!!!

AONORMALS.jpg
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guard_CharacterSheet.jpg

Did a multiply coloring in PS. omg too much to do, don't ever take 4 game art classes at once! GOING TO EXPLODE!!! WHY DO I HAVE TO LEARN FLASHHHHHHH???? BLARG!!