Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BTR 90 wip textures

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I made this model for my final last semester at school and over break til now I've been cleaning it up and I basically redid the textures over the entire model. Now I'm in the process making it presentable because I want to put it into the Spring Show at AAU. So I would love to have some feedback ans see what some of you guys think before I finish this thing. Thanks!Tank_4.jpg?t=1265334242Tank_5.jpg?t=1265334242Tank_6.jpg?t=1265334244

Replies

• RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome so far! Maybe adding a bit more wear to the body, some minor scratches and dirt, though don't go too crazy. Also try to add some variation to the wheels (rotate them so they're aren't all on the exact same level, it gives some more believability especially if you're going to put the model on top of a terrain template.)

Other than that, its a great model and texture job!
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great I think the texture looks fine as is. I agree about rotating the wheels, and if I was going to be really nitpicky I would say add some wear to the tires they look like their brand new as far as the treads go.

And I just noticed this but on the back, the uv seems off, one of the panels is disappearing off the side(the far left on the back). Also your bolts seem to be deviating from the straight line a little bit and starting to rise into an edge(just below the 331). Thats just really nitpicky stuff it looks great overall.

Edit: Fail at proofreading
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Good start, but you barely seem to have any spec at all. The lack of spec is really hurting the look since it made primarily of metal.

It also kind of feels like you didn't spend a lot of time on the ground, the grass isn't placed realistically and looks very cookie cutter ish. Right now it only makes the scene look less polished, instead of making the apc look better.

I found this image that seems similar to the look you are going for. dune2.jpg

Try to capture the variation of the grass and (varying lengths and colors and density) that you see in real life. It would also add a lot to the look if there were tire tracks through the grass where the apc tracked through the scene, and add smashed down grass underneath. I think that would really tie it into the scene.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    The texture is awesome dude, and the base is a cool touch! To be honest I think bits of the model could do with a few more polygons added, for instance, the lights at the rear, the side doors etc. Its a bit far down the road to be changing that, but maybe something to consider...

Anyway, texture. Overall its great, and doesent really need much doing to it. As mentioned, having a play with the specular might yeild some good results. You might be able to add some mud spatter under the front, and maybe at the back too if you wanted, and if you can paint a few dried mud bumps onto the normal map as well that can look really nice without much effort.

Also, I think you have enough texture resolution to add some scratches along the side of the rim above the wheels. These vehicles have REALLY bad visibility, so scraping them along walls is usually considered good driving technique, especially if you happen to be in someone elses country heheh...

Finally, check out other ppls armour as it usually fires up some inspiration. Dejawolf does great tanks, and I've got a BTR80 you could have a look at if you're really stuck for ideas. www.drav3d.com/btr.html

Like I say tho, its looking finished, just a few ideas for if you were looking for something else to add....

Keep going!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the imput, I am pretty much done with modeling right now and I just want to move on to finishing it. I see what you mean about the grass Predator, I'll fix that tomorrow at the lab and I was planning on sculpting the tread marks onto the ground as well. For some reason the alphas don't show up as well on my computer as on the lab computers so I'll do my screen grabs from there for now on. Drav, Nice looking model yourself. I see what everyone is saying about the specular maps as well. I was trying to keep it subtle but I'll make it read more on the model and tone it down some on the wheels. But thanks for the replies, I'll post more progress tomorrow.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks very good.

I havent checked all replies 100%, so sry if ill repeat :P

I agree that ground could be tweaked. Me personally i think Russian apc would fit less into the beach setting. Some muddy base with some rubbel scatered around could be better i guess.
    Plus the vehicle could have some more traces of its military service. At least more dirt and mud on the bottom.
    Its an esthetical choice though, so that is up to your vision;) It looks good anyways.

EDIT: btw, to me the turret looks a bit boring. It is too flat and has no attractions beside the actual gun. These APCs usually have some more things going on there. Even if all that stuff is not 100% essential for a "default" modification, they quite often are there and u can alway add them in order to make your vehicle look more interesting, otherwise it may feel like u took an easy shortcut ;)

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/47198/BTR-90_cote2.jpg

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/Modern/btr90/btr_90_5.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    completely lacks any sort of spark. looks like you spent 5 minutes on the dirt, because its barely visible. if i squint... a lot, i can barely make out a camouflage under all that drabness.
    and the lighting is a complete disaster.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matro: Thanks for the crits. Hopefully the base doesn't read as grassy beach but it's supposed to be tall grass on an open field. Hopefully like something you would see in eastern europe. The lack of turret details was mostly due to time constraints more than anything and I've always intended it to have them. No excuses.
    Deja: I wanted to be subtle with the dirt and the textures overall. my spec needs work and I'm working on that now.
    But heres a slight update, work done on textures and lighting mainly. BTR_4-1.jpg?t=1265671417BTR_5-1.jpg?t=1265671418BTR_2-1.jpg?t=1265671416
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice update.

Ok, i see. So now i know why i thought it is a beach ;)
    U've got a bright sand :P
    Right now it does not feel like field soil, even if it would supposed to be sandy soil.
    I would also make grass intergrate more with the ground.
    The APC seems like floating i think due to contrqast between bright ground, dark armor, and too subtle shadow under the vehicle. So u've got one more reason to darken the ground ;)
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, especially on the spec map. My next step is going to be to do a more detailed ground plane and really push details on it and sculpt the tread marks in. Then add some rocks and rubble. I'm gonna have some grass as well but far less than before. Then I also forgot to rotate those tires, gonna do that as well. BTR_10.jpg?t=1266198941BTR_9.jpg?t=1266198938BTR_8.jpg?t=1266198938BTR_7.jpg?t=1266198940
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks quite cool :)

- on the first shot wheel disks are super shiny even in shadow...

- u'd use some skylight or bottom light to weaken the black shadow underneath
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've fixed the environment plane for this. I re-sculpted in mudbox. I also changed what type of terrain it is from soft soil to hard rocky terrain. I then went in and fixed the tires so that they aren't all pointed the same direction and changed the angle of the gun to a more combat ready position. I also fixed my spec especially on the wheels. Next up is to add some rocks and some vegetation to make the terrain feel more uneven and real. Then I'm calling this done!BTR_11.jpg?t=1266370687BTR_13.jpg?t=1266370692BTR_15.jpg?t=1266370693
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Looking pretty good. I would try to get more of a spec hit on the armor plating, its a combination of the angle of lighting in relation to the viewport, and the specular intensity and falloff. To keep it consistent for a render, I lock the camera and the lighting, and rotate the object instead of rotating the camera.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I keep having problems with that. I can see the spec very clearly but it's hard to capture on images properly. I'll try that and see if it helps.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    wow tons better.. personally id like to see a little more contrast in your spec...
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definitely an improvement. i think you could go over the dirt with a sharpen brush,
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And again, another update for the spec mainly, Really pushing to make it pop.. I agree about the dirt, I really need to clean up those textures some too. Sorry bout the lack of an update, I've been busy with trying to work on another scene and doing other hw. :)
    I feel with this update that it has more presence now, it feels heavier, more like a vehicle like this should. Also this should read better now with a lighter background.
    BTR_21.jpg?t=1267266753BTR_24.jpg?t=1267266754BTR_20.jpg?t=1267266752
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    highlights look very yellow. you should go for a more white-ish look on the highlights.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks quite good to me. Highlights with slight saturation works not bad if it is consistent with paint color. Plus it also depends on lighting, so right now i find it good.

Small suggestion though - the scratches and dirt on the rear armor near the bottom are visibly symmetrical. I would reduce them a bit around the symmetry seam, so that it wont look that much mirrored.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another thing i noticed, you need to add dirt to the wheels.