Home Technical Talk

High Poly > Low Poly Bake Help

Hey guys i modeled a road barrier brought into zbrush detailed then rendered to texture for the high poly details. My normal map came out funky especially in certain spots its solid black? How do i fix this?

Thank you in advance

Box01NormalsMap.jpg

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    setting are, ao - 64 rays . 4 min 16 max samples 2048 size maps. I have a simple raytrace material on both high poly and low poly. I following along with the eat3d tut just trying to make my own object.

I used a diff file to actually sculpt on where i added more edges so i could sub divde more, should i use that file instead as the base?
    block.jpg

actually used to sculpt on
    Lowpolysclupt.jpg
    Test-4.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The black areas look like ray miss, or penetration of the high poly through the low. Try tweaking the low mesh in the areas that are problematic.

I could be wrong though.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The black areas look like ray miss, or penetration of the high poly through the low. Try tweaking the low mesh in the areas that are problematic.

I could be wrong though.

could my cage be too big then? or too small? I will try your suggestion
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Turn the cage off entirely. See how that bakes.

Also, if you are using Mental Ray to bake normals, it tends to dislike objects that are right on top of each other and occasionally requires you to use a very subtle Push modifier on either of the objects. (The low or the high)
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott wrote: »
    Turn the cage off entirely. See how that bakes.

Also, if you are using Mental Ray to bake normals, it tends to dislike objects that are right on top of each other and occasionally requires you to use a very subtle Push modifier on either of the objects. (The low or the high)

yes i am using MR to bake the objects. Ill try both turning the cage off, and then use push see if anything happens. Thanks
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I just had a baking issue today with mental ray. I scaled my low poly down by .5 percent, turned off the cage and set the offset to 20, worked like a charm.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, i got it to work. Did what darth recc and worked well, had to lower size a bit more then .5 but worked. Thanks again
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here it is in max, yay my first high poly zbrush to low w00t
    roadbarrier.jpg
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not familiar with zbrush, but in Mudbox you can bake your high poly to your low poly directly in-program. I tend to use mudbox for baking, since it tdoes not give me any problems whatsoever.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with zbrush, but in Mudbox you can bake your high poly to your low poly directly in-program. I tend to use mudbox for baking, since it tdoes not give me any problems whatsoever.

i have both, ive been learning both so i can decide which i like better. I did not know that about mudbox. Ill give mudbox a try next
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZBrush can bake out your normals too, but obviously you'll need to have UV'd your mesh before you send it to ZBrush. On some assets, such as this one, that would be fine as you wouldn't be changing the silhouette too much.

For characters, or other assets which are starting from a very primitive base and likely to be changed in shape / proportion, you'd build a new low-poly and therefore lose the ability to bake in the sculpting app.