Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Asturias of Strongholm (WoW Inspired Fan Art)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
JacqueChoi polycounter
Just some Fan Art I created based on WoW.

Inspired by the Tier 9 Set.

pally.jpg

^_^

I'm planning to rig him up and work on a cooler presentation shot.

Crits comments and suggestions welcome.

^_^

Replies

• Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome, Jacque!

They'd be lucky to have you on that game! Looks like it would fit right in...
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    post shot with filtering on?
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice work. Are there tutorials out there that explain how to do this style? Sort of layer by layer breakdown?
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Jacque, this looks great! I think a cape would make him just that much cooler. I really like the contrast you have over the whole set of armor. The one thing that feels a little funny to me is that peach color you have going on right above the forehead on the hair. I look forward to seeing the posed presentation, again, great work. Do you plan on putting a specular map on it?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ah fantastic. The painting is really great. Nailed the style, and at a bit higher res than the ingame stuff which rocks.

I'd like to see a bit more fake shadow/AO type interaction going on between the larger forms. To be honest, when I saw the auto-shrunken image on here, I thought it was a 2d painting. There's a lot of neat shading on the small details, but nothing to suggest where big parts sit on top of other things. There's a little in the armpit area, but I think you could push it further and do the same on the other armor bits as well.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Dude, Wicked as! I'd slave my way to 80 for this bad boy armour set!
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vvery nice work
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Look what you have done, now every wow player will role as alliance pally.

Amezing work.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    the whole set, weapon and shield included match so well together and the wow art style.

only thing that seems a bit odd to me at least is he has a pretty asian looking face but with blond hair! Maybe its just me but it kinda defocused me from everything else to focus on that.

looks great though
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome as always JaqueChoi.:)

You really nailed the style, with the model, design, and texture. Great job with the painting! Also, seconding that the peach coloured roots look funny. Bad dye job. :p
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    very nice!

the textures or rendering style (i'm not sure) kinda remindsme of Allods Online
  • Pavel Petrenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel Petrenko polycounter lvl 8
    Great work! Love your design and texturing skill!
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Only thing missing is an orc head! :D Damm you humans!
  • FirstKeeper
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Sweeet sweet mercy mr choi.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Really cool fan art ^^
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So when did Blizzard open their Montreal studios? :p

Awesome work, you've absolutely nailed the WoW style, but this piece is awesome in itself regardless of the influence!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent technical execution, really nice work. Too bad WoW armor makes me throw up a little bit. So much noise... upp aack... yea there it goes again. Nothing you did wrong just the reference is ... well... fugly.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I want to see it on a gnome! :) awsome work
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Great work man! Nailed the style perfectly!
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    real nice work jacque :D
    let's see some beauty shots
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Thanks a ton for the comments guys!

I added the cape, but I'm not sure if it works very well with him (maybe I can do something to improve it, but I think I'm likely going to ditch it).

I also turned down the Self Illumination from 100% to 75%, and threw in a couple of colored lights.
    cape.jpg

Jon: DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE
    achillesian:
    Here it is (don't want to pollute this thread with too many of the same images)
    http://www.jacquechoi.com/images/filtered.jpg

Junkie_XL: Not really sure if there are. I'm still not completely convinced I'm doing it the right way (I think I'm doing a lot of post-layering work, rather than just applying things impressionistic). If there's enough interest I might be able to write something.

Mike Dashow (Walrus - Diablo 2 Artist), wrote one a while back that's pretty helpful
    http://www.michaeldashow.com/tips_texturepainting.html

DKK/Hazardous - THanks guys! :D

Turpedo: Thanks man! I added the shadow tones in the hair and finessed it (hope this fixed it). I deepened the AO a bit on everything, and added some extra shadows under the pauldrons and pants area. I created a simple spec just by desaturating the diffuse (blacking out the fleshy areas). Really just using it to capture some colour from the lights, but it's toned down quite a bit.

I tried the cape suggestion too, but I'm not sure if it really works for this character for some reason (maybe I'm doing it wrong).

**Gav suggested maybe making it lighter, longer and wider**

Frump: Thanks man! Recurring crit! I hope I addressed it!

Flaringo: I freakin LOVE the look of that game!!!!

Pavel: Thanks man!

Stu: For the Alliance!!
    .... Sunder Sunder Shield Bash Sunder ...

First Keeper - ^_^

dur - DOOOOOOD!

Anux / 22 - Thanks guys! Glad you like it!

Vig - Awwwww, LOL glad you like the work at least. I like the style a lot!

AlexK - WORGEN FTW!

TGZ - Thanks bro!

Hntr - just a fewwwww... more tweaks ..... XD
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Looking sexy man!

The cape's cool - it makes him read bulkier from a distance. Maybe something bigger / longer?

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/toughguy_02_03/t19_0MWK2459.jpg

Regardless, lookin nice
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A crazy stalker in a tanuki suit, I'd throw you off my crotch too.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great job! I'd love to see some texture flats.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    needs more shoulderpads duplicated on top of each other for that truly epic feel!
    (If you played old WoW you'd know what im talking about =p)

Nah just kidding, looks good.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    looks really wowig ;)

great work!
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    The cape looks cool Jacque :). I prefer the longer style capes though.

I don't know if it would kill the silhouette too much, but maybe you can have the cape wrapping around his upper arm to his shoulder pads.

Kind of like Arthas - http://mikeandsteventwo.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/wotlk_arthas_pose.jpg

I think everything will come together once it is posed though. Awesome work!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    great stuff Jacque! really captured the quality of the armor well.

Think it may be a bit *too* harsh on the contrast, almost like there isnt enough value going on in the "in-between" sections like from under the breast to abdomen, abdomen to belt, across shoulder pads. One thing ive noticed a lot in the recent WoW armor (the Wrath stuff) is a lot of color play in the "shadow" area of the model. You've done some here, but i think you could push it a bit further.

its a really great texture, but it kind of has a feel of too much detail with out much harmony of shapes and colors, if that makes sense.
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's amazing how well you fit the style, really great stuff. Are you going to do a helm?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Posed Shot:
    Pally_Shot.jpg

Pally_Model.jpg

Pally_Construction.jpg

Pally_Textures.jpg

NoChance: Thanks a ton man! As much as I'd like to, I think I'm calling it done (I might revisit doing a helm one day).

Moose: Thanks a ton! Really helped a lot. I went into my shadow layers, and started painting some more cooler tones (I hope it shows). I added in some more shadows into those in between areas, and upped the AO a bit. I've been told it might be a bit too detailed, but I think it does fall in line with a LOT of the tier 9's and 10's. I'm really working on my character design skills as well, and hopefully be able to start pushing that aspect a lot more in my work.

I'm a pretty big fan of your stuff. Do you have any suggestions on where I might be able to look for that? Tutorials, or maybe just sites you might go to for inspiration?

Turpedo: Thanks dude! Yeah, I made it a bit longer, and pointy. I freakin LOVE Arthas, but I don't think that really fits with this current design (although it does look cool).

Rollin: Thanks man!

MartinH - Thanks man! I'll Totally double up on it when I design a Tier 20 set. XD

Brad - Here ya go! It's at proper rez as well.

Vig/DKK - HA!

Gav: DUUUDE! Yeah Got the cape longer and bulkier! Think it helps a LOT!

^_^
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Your matching of the blizzard style is spot on man, just a minor crit: His face is a bit too flat and you're losing it to the armor. Hope you don't mind a quick paint over, just slapped some bright yellow color burns in some key areas, under the eyes, hair (gradient fade it down).
    4342403058_968441a583_o.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    that cape is hot!!!! And not a prob man, glad my nonsense made some sense haha :)

One thing to try on the next bugger is to maybe pull back slightly on the contrast between shapes. Check out the Warlock Season 8 pvp gear (omg so fucking good) and look at how smooth some of the shapes flow into one another. If you look just at the shoulder bit, there is a fantastic blend of color to shadow to show the depth.

I think you really nailed the head of the hammer with this idea, and it does show how you went back in on it!

the Mage S8 gear may be a better example to relate to this texture. What strikes me as strong in this one is how they chose to accent the metal trims. You handled it similarly on the chest piece, by the neck, but i think in general the trims on the Mage armor are lower in value with more calculated peaks and highlights around the model.

The end result of this dude came out great, its definitely a cool piece that plays homage to the original, but it also does not lose the flavor and cool-ness your textures have comparatively.

Maybe somethin else to try in the future would be to expand your color pallete some with more complimentary colors. I notice on your flat you have a select set of 3 colors with ranging values - which is a great method, but add more color!! I use CS4's Kuler extension (http://kuler.adobe.com/) for quick ideas of complementary colors and color schemes. You could add a real richness to the painting by tossing a few of those in instead of a more monochromatic approach. By "mixing" complimentary colors in, you can also really create some "pop" in shapes by putting the pure colors in as accents and highlights/shadows!