Home General Discussion

Point and shoot cameras?

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
So a drunken night out, long story short, I lend a guy my coat, forget the camera is in the pocket, get coat back, no camera.

I had one of these :

518qEYDLgYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It's likely not worth claiming on the insurance for, I got it in Seattle and I doubt I could find the box nor the receipt, and it's probably not gonna be worth more than £100 now, so - I guess I need to think about a replacement.

It was pretty good for low light, and has a better resolution than my old DSC-H5, however it had some pretty annoying auto-smothing noise-reduction filter you couldn't turn off, a fuck-ton of 'auto' modes and some rather extreme shutter lag.

I used to own ( prior to it suffering death by office chair ) a super cheap Sanyo thing, which while not anywhere near the build quality of the sony, had something I've not seen since on a point and shoot, which is manual focus.

I could get awesome shots of insects - even got a bee in flight , by setting a rough focus distance and eyeballing it, shoot from the hip style.

As someone who has until this point always had a small camera on me for those random opportunities that present themselves every once in a while when you think "damn I wish I had a camera right now" I'm looking to get something somewhere between the sony with it's slim profile, but maybe something that has a little more control over settings.

I'm hoping that many of you here - for reference or whatever may use something similar - and could use some recommendations.

I'm leaning at the moment to the newest Sony , as it has the all new built-in HDR 'Exmor' sensor / software combo that has some incredible low-light shooting abilities , but I'm open to suggestion, especially when it comes to manual focus - it's the one feature of the cheapo Sanyo that made it so special. :D

Replies

• DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    My wife has that camera you had, it's awesome (It's pink though so I hardly ever use it haha). We have only ever had that and a Kodak, but avoid Kodak at all costs. There digital camera's are complete junk. I'd stick with a Sony for point and shoot, but then again, I usually just use my phone to take pics haha.
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I still use the phone - and it's a sony too - for a little 2.0mp thing with no zoom it's taken some pretty awesome shots over the years - though a point-and-shoot gives you a little more freedom when it comes to composition.

This is where I think I'm headed, the only two downsides are the price : £340 / $540 (being that it's fresh of the production line) and the lack of any manual focus.

4A773D4BDEE600B4E10080002BC29BDF.jpg

Specs are pretty good, the Sweep Panorama sounds awesome, but I'll have to see it in the shop to see how well it stitches, especially with moving stuff and more confined spaces.

Specs:

# 10.2 effective megapixels

# 5x optical zoom, 10x digital precision zoom, 28x smart zoom

# Exmor R™ CMOS Sensor: allows you to shoot video in lower lighting conditions with outstanding results.

# 24mm wide angle G-lens: focal lenght: 4.25-21.25mm (35mm equivalent)

# BIONZ imaging processor

# High Speed Shooting (10fps at 10.2 MP): never miss the decisive moment.

# 2.7" Clear Photo touch screen LCD (230K dots)

# Double anti-blur technology: Optical SteadyShot with ISO 3200 high sensitivity mode for reduced blur pictures

# Sweep Panamora: panorama pictures can be taken by just swinging the camera

# Handheld Twilight mode: 6 superimposed frames create 1 optimized picture with 50% less noice

# Improved Face Detection technology for children and adults: for quick subject tracking and excellent skin-colour.

# Face Motion Detection: adjusts ISO sensitivity and increases the shutter speed when facial movement is detected, reducing blur in the subjects face.

# Smile Shutter Technology: automatically detects and captures a smiling face.

# Shooting modes: Portrait, Twilight, Gourmet, Beach, Snow, Fireworks, Underwater [ Edit : Waterproof??! ], Pet

# Intelligent Scene Recognition (iSCN) Mode: automatically detects 9 types of scenes and selects the best settings.

# Dynamic Range Optimizer: suppresses “blackout” in dark areas such as
    shadows and “whiteout” in bright areas such as skies.

# In-camera retouching: trimming, red-eye correction and unsharp masking.

# HD 720 movie: 1280x720 pixels

# Internal memory: 11 MB

# Battery stamina: approx. 3 hours

# Colour: Black

# Dimensions (w x h x d): 114.5 x 82.8 x 91.8 mm

# Weight: 504 g.

https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonyStyle/Digital-Cameras/W-series/DSCWX1B.CEH
  • thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I bought myself a Fujifilm F60fd. £100, well worth it. Very good camera with very good reviews everywhere.

I bought it in November, the price has now gone backup to £150 on play.com anyway. I would highly recommend it.