Home General Discussion

EA Pirate Office!

I recently got a tour of the EA Tiburon Studios and figured I would share this awesomeness with Polycount! They are a really cool bunch of guys and definitely like to have fun!

The pirate office is farther down the page

http://insideea.com/2009/08/03/inside-ea-desk-fun-ea-sports-tiburon-style/

Replies

• 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am insanely jealous of that pirate cubical.
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, they have a pretty epic setup! Have you heard about their Ballpit conference room? I actually got to go in there, haha.

This vid also has some other cool EA stuff!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43GW9alZKs[/ame]
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    that looks like a lot of stuff to move out and dismantle when they all get the sack
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    that looks like a lot of stuff to move out and dismantle when they all get the sack
    >__<'

I hope their washrooms aren't freezing cold igloos. Would be tough, with all the shivers.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey wrote: »

I didnt want to be the one to throw the cold wash of reality on first. Rhinokey saved me from that.

I have to ask.. If they have to personally decorate their cubicles such... Just how much extra time beyond 40hours a week do they feel "obligated" to do?

The only other place i have seen this done is Pixar, but they don't have the employee layover, and they also do enforce reasonable hours. Personally, I would rather have a window and fresh air. :)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

QFT as sad as it sounds
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Wasn't there an article somewhere on how horrible Tiburon was to work at?..

Three Rings still wins when it comes to office space
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun being produced by that ballpit and theme rooms is probably as realistic as a
    chimpanse running around at pixar. Seems like psychologic warfare "but they gave me
    my pirate cave! I cant go home!"
    Sitting on that toilet all day cant be comfy either ^^
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    That reminds me of how much I hate cubicles. I think at this point I would actually turn down a job if they had a set-up like this.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't it at Mythic they put almost a foot of sand in someones office?
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    low odor wrote: »
    Wasn't there an article somewhere on how horrible Tiburon was to work at?..

I'm not sure, living in Orlando I can say that I hear a huge amount of rumors, and I've talked to a few people that worked there that had nothing good to say about the place. I went and saw a friend there once, I'd say the thing that impressed me the most was their neverending supply of cereal. It's like a Willy Wonka factory.

Honestly, I'm confused as to why they're giving tours when they laid off so many people not too long ago. I work with one of them now at a military simulation company. I wouldn't really trust them as far as hiring goes.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You know, I can totally see this going on at a hypocritical place like that... (Replace flair with cubicle decoration) :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2ZyF8Ufz4Q[/ame]
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i ran a tour through there when I was Siggraph vice president at our school. Seems they have a deal with UCF in Orlando for internships so you won't see anyone outside UCF get in there as an intern. A few of the upper management were artists and Disney Orlando when it went under. They had cool enough offices, but there's no other games devs in central florida so they pretty much can pick and choose who they want. Well that goes for anyone these days.. but back in the day if you lived in central Florida Tiburon was it.. and still is today.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    They have cool offices so they must be having fun.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe if they didn't spend so much money on stuff like that, they wouldn't be letting people go.... id rather have a normal desk and a job :) still cool though
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    hmmmm cool office or faster computer that will save me time... Cool Office gives me something to look at while waiting for my slow ass computer. But a faster computer would let me get more work done and spend more time at home with loved ones. It's just such a hard choice!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, reading this thread is like the time I got really into season 4 of lost and my friend came in and said, "yeah... time travel... it's stupid" i'm like, "wtf?!"

Talk about your buzz kills.

But seriously, Vonklaus will know better than to try to share something cool with Polycount again :)... lol. Maybe 2 responses weren't depressing to read.

I personally think this is hilarious... Sounds like these were just practical (in-practical) jokes designed to boost moral... Good job with the pirate cave... that sh** is dope lookin'.

Dear Polycounters,

Try to think positive.

Yours Truly,
    D
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, reading this thread is like the time I got really into season 4 of lost and my friend came in and said, "yeah... time travel... it's stupid" i'm like, "wtf?!"

Talk about your buzz kills.

But seriously, Vonklaus will know better than to try to share something cool with Polycount again :)... lol. Maybe 2 responses weren't depressing to read.

I personally think this is hilarious... Sounds like these were just practical (in-practical) jokes designed to boost moral... Good job with the pirate cave... that sh** is dope lookin'.

Dear Polycounters,

Try to think positive.

Yours Truly,
    D

lol, for sure. I will never have the courage to be open with this community ever again....

It is funny how it turned into a flame Tiburon thread. We are truly a cynical bunch of people, haha
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Eh, I'll apologize. I've been a bit disgruntled lately. I remember the first time I went to EA I was completely fascinated, hell, I was even baffled by their elevator. So talking about the pirate cave is a lot better than where I started being impressed. And I haven't really met someone that worked at tiburon that I didn't get along with. :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    OR maybe some of them have felt the brunt of EA's fiscal prudence :)

Don't worry guys, just think positive and you'll all be owning your own company in no time...then you can decorate it however you want! yay!
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Dear Polycounters,

Try to think positive.

Yours Truly,
    D

Ditto.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    WTF is everyone going on about EA wasting money on cubes? These are pranks, done by people who are having fun, not some EA sponsored "decorate your office" shit. Yeah the ballpit is stupid, but these look like fun.