Home General Discussion

The TESTER - PSN

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
So Sony is doing this reality TV show (8 episodes) which features avid gamers wanting a shot at being a game tester at Sony.

I'll just quote it from http://www.thetester.com/
PlayStation®Network's Original Reality Series Set to Debut

"The Tester" is a new original reality series set to debut exclusively on PlayStation®Network. The eight episode series features 11 avid gamers competing in a series of physical and mental elimination challenges to win an actual job as an official PlayStation® game tester along with a $5000 signing bonus.

Would you find watching this interesting? Would you like to see more types of shows like this but for other departments?
I think it would be good if they show the people while they work, how they work, what they assumed the job would be like and what they now think the job is like after working in it for 3 months.

Doubt I'll watch it but just a heads up if anyone is interested.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    sounds like typical mtv type bullshit for making even more clueless gamers think this industry is only fun and games.
  • Farfarer
    I'd love to see a follow up showing the winner's new opinion on being a games tester 6-12 months after winning...
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yes, I think this show probably has a special comedy appeal to all those who know the truth..
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Talon wrote: »
    I'd love to see a follow up showing the winner's new opinion on being a games tester 6-12 months after winning...
    lol yeah, my first reaction was 'wtf thats punishment, not a prize!' as well :poly124:

I suspect a lot of these kids think they can actually change and decide things as a tester.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwlE1aASc4g[/ame]
    ' Can you believe we get paid to do this..... commercial?' :D

PS: Check how convienently everybody has a PSX game/character for their favourites: http://www.thetester.com/TheCast.html
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Talon wrote: »

Haha yeah, but you know they will never show that. :p

770836278_VG7Cr-L.jpg
  • Quokimbo
    I saw this on the PSN.

I would rather play the video games, then watch people play video games...
  • Shogun3d
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'd love to see a follow up where they actually take testers and offer them the chance to become a game designer, maybe educate people about what game design is about rather than all this nonsense. Maybe have segments dedicated to art hobbyists vying for a game art position :D.

The general public is tragically misinformed about game design. Not just the ones who could give two sh*ts about it, but also kids who would love to be in the industry but are just in the dark about what it actually is. It's damn near impossible to know what goes on behind the doors of game studios. Obviously every studio and game is different, but the vast lack of openness from the game industry from proprietary information to shear apathy is kind of saddening. Some day as game development grows, the doors will open and people the world over will have a clear obtainable goal for breaking into this industry, but right now it's all smoke and mirrors. Shows like this do not help the matter, or maybe they do, haven't watched it yet ;)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm interested in checking this out. I heard about it previously and I've been waiting for it to air. I'm waiting to see a preview of it though before passing judgement.
  • bounchfx
    yeah this seems like it's going to be all pain and crying for those involved.. at least for the winner.. I wonder what kind of stuff they're going to be doing to 'prepare' them for this job? I can't imagine they'd be showing them the actual work they'd be doing. this show bleeds fake.

I'd like to see the first episode though, for comedy's sake.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Given what the "reality" of game design is, I don't think anyone would be interested in ANY reality show based on it. Game design is hard-ass work and long-ass hours. That is the reality of it. And that just doesn't make entertaining TV. It would be funny to see a fictional account of a game design studio. I imagine most studios have some pretty entertaining personalities that would make for a good show, or at least the basis for one. But reality programming is stepping onto some truly tennuous ground with this concept.

And the prize for this show is just bizzarre. Why don't they just strap the winner to a board and slowly drip water on their forehead, it would probably be more pleasant. Game testing is easily one of the most mundane, shit jobs in the industry. It takes someone with incredible patience and anal-retentive attention to detail to be a really excellent tester. Again, these are not qualities that make for an entertaining show.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That's because there are enough idiots out there that still think game tester would be a sweetass job. I think the penny-arcade strip really hit the nail on the head though. These morons think they'll be testing the next Assassin's Creed before anyone else gets to play it. What they don't realize, is they'll be testing the new barbie MMO instead.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Penny Arcade is usually right on the money. I've never understood game shows that promise employment as the end prize. Who really wants a job, as a prize? If the job in question doesn't involve sitting around doing nothing, and making fat money for it, then I'm not going to think of it as something I would want to win. If it involves hard work, but is my dream-job, then I'm going to want to earn it, not win it.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Game testing is easily one of the most mundane, shit jobs in the industry.

Yes in the game industry. But out of all the mundane, shit jobs such as garbageman/fast-food/data-entry/lots more, it is one of the better ones :p
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    Yes in the game industry. But out of all the mundane, shit jobs such as garbageman/fast-food/data-entry/lots more, it is one of the better ones :p

True, quite true. I myself have had jobs that would make game grinding seem like a luxury. Of course, that kind of makes it look like they are pitting the underprivileged against each other for the entertainment of the wealthy. (ie, people who can afford to buy PS3s, and subscriptions to premium web content on their PS3s)
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    If this takes a similar approach to the Sucker Punch developer diarys it could be interesting. But then... there are a lot of other circumstances that would need to be met in order for that to happen.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIkPQ0ow_08[/ame]
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jackwhat - Thanks for sharing that link man, it was great to watch.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Theres 3, theyre all up on Gametrailers.com - if you didnt know!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-developer-infamous/49650 (part3, 1 and 2 are on youtube)

Its done by the same people who are doing the PennyArcade TV show... which i found out just now after rewatching \o/

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/
  • Heart_Murmur
    Thanks for the links jack, some awesome videos.