Home General Discussion

Apple Ipad

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
Anybody else following this?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event/

Looks pretty promising for games. 1ghz processor (among a bunch of other specs i dont know :P). EA has already mades an apperance with NFS:Shift.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Paul Pepera
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    I'd really like to see is how it works/ if it works at all with a stylus. Does it support tilt? How many levels of pressure? Basically, vs. a cintiq, how well does it compare.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It's not a cintiq, it's basically an A4 ipod touch with a full screen e-book reader.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I have a smart phone, I have a computer. I dont want to pay 2 grand or whatever price it costs to have a gigantic iphone for ONE application I want.

Scrap all the games, the browser, the books, all that crap. I have other devices that do that better. Just give me a big high resolution digital sketchbook with a pen and pressure sensitivity. Please.

Is that too much to ask?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Too much bezel, not much power, I was hoping for a small computer, not a giant ipod.

I like Sandbags sketch book idea.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag wrote: »
    I have a smart phone, I have a computer. I dont want to pay 2 grand or whatever price it costs to have a gigantic iphone for ONE application I want.

Scrap all the games, the browser, the books, all that crap. I have other devices that do that better. Just give me a big high resolution digital sketchbook with a pen and pressure sensitivity. Please.

Is that too much to ask?
    +1

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/27/apple_reveals_long_awaited_multi_touch_ipad_tablet_device.html

I think it's another evolutionary step forward but like all of Apples devices its probably over priced and under featured. Less features means its simple to use and cheaper to produce. Customers get the simple features Apple keeps the cost savings, everyone wins!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    2ic40so.jpg

TOO MUCH BEZEL
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    This fucking thing enrages me. It is fucking STUPID. There is no goddamn reason to get one of these. And normally, I'm cool with companies making stupid shit no one wants, but FUCKING APPLE'S STUPID FUCKING INTERNET HYPE MACHINE WONT STFU. Goddammit people, stop saying you want one of these! It's fucking retarded!!!
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Why is it retarded?

People love the Ipod touch and Iphone, this is basically just that with a larger screen and just as thin which gives way to even more usability.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    this thing is gonna be hugely popular... I'm not gonna buy one and apple pisses me off in a lot of ways, but I'm smart enough to realize that they know what they're doing. If you can't wrap your brain around all the things Joe Hipster would do with this... I don't even know whats wrong with you. I'd think it would be obvious how fckin useful this thing is gonna be for the average human that doesn't already live on their ridiculously overpowered PC.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    The only compelling reason to get one of these is if you are in the market for an eBook Reader and also would like to email/web surf with it, or if you'd like a netbook for traveling/kitchen use.

The price tag is compelling at $500, but like others have said, I was hoping for Mac OS, not a giant iPod.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    No multi-tasking? Is it 1991 again?

I can't find a single drop of worth in this thing and I even *LIKE* apple products. Show me a real-world application for this device that makes me go "Hey, neat..." and I might change my mind but right now, the only thing that comes to mind is "Newton"
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It'd be great for browsing the web on the sofa, lighter than a laptop. However there is no killer feature so far that would make me consider it, especially at that price point.

Perhaps in a few years when the next one comes out with a solar screen that charges the device when not in use, that can magically fold up into your pocket into an iphone....

Edit - and no camera? Video based IM on something like this could have been great.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's still no flash, so it still sucks for web.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Microsoft Courier (if it ever materializes) will rape this things face. Ipad, indeed. What a shitload of fuck.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the name sounds like somehting you would find in a designated isle in a london drugs/pharmasave. why not somethign like Itab? ipad just sounds dumb. I know they are playing off the Ipod/ipad thing, its just lame.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This really does meet the needs for someone like my wife, who sits at home online, chats with people, browses the net, and occassionally writes an office document. This is way more portable and convenient compared to her laptop.

That being said, the lack of multitasking (STILL), really even defeats its usability for people like my wife. It is capable of doing some things that my iPod Touch can't do, but nothing that I was REALLY missing.

I predict this thing will flop unless things are improved down the road.

BTW, I thought they were breaking from AT&T? WTF was with the data plans with AT&T? $30/mo for unlimited data? Did AOL change their name to AT&T and I didn't notice?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    disappointmaton
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    things id like to use this for:
    -some sort of top down, rts type games, maybe some old school adventure games.
    -I have sketchbook on my iphone. A scaled up version for this would be nice. No pressure sensitivity, but still fun. You can get a stylus if you want.
    -browsing the web on the couch\bed.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Is there not a stylus for this TABLET ??

:'(
  • Jay Evans
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18

Well, you only overshot the price by $1500. Otherwise, yeah, it's a biggie-sized iPod Touch.

Is that too much to ask?

Yeah, that's too much to ask. Apple design products for mass appeal, and they've cornered the market portable music players and smart phones - pretty much everyone wants one of those. You want a very niche product, something that appeals almost solely to artists, and among those appeals to digital artists who wouldn't prefer to stick with traditional media. Maybe we'll get a drawing app and stylus combo later on, I can see that, but expecting Apple to make that the focal point of an entire product line is aiming too high.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    This fucking thing enrages me. It is fucking STUPID. There is no goddamn reason to get one of these. And normally, I'm cool with companies making stupid shit no one wants, but FUCKING APPLE'S STUPID FUCKING INTERNET HYPE MACHINE WONT STFU. Goddammit people, stop saying you want one of these! It's fucking retarded!!!

I don't understand how anyone can possibly get this furious over a computer product. Enraged? Really? What's your response when something legitimately bad happens? Can't crank it to 11 all the time.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    vermilion wrote: »
    I don't understand how anyone can possibly get this furious over a computer product. Enraged? Really? What's your response when something legitimately bad happens? Can't crank it to 11 all the time.

Life isn't easy being me.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    You can get a decent capable laptop that does more than thing for around the same price, sure it's a bit heavier but you can do more with it in return (way more), so I'm trying ... nay straining to see the point of it right now.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans wrote: »
    things id like to use this for:
    -some sort of top down, rts type games, maybe some old school adventure games.
    -I have sketchbook on my iphone. A scaled up version for this would be nice. No pressure sensitivity, but still fun. You can get a stylus if you want.
    -browsing the web on the couchbed.

I'm not apt to buy a first-gen model, but here's what appeals to me:
    -awesome looking eBook reader. Apple killed the Kindle outright, IMO.
    -plenty of good games coming, now with enough screenspace to make controls feasible (addressing the worst thing about iPhone gaming.)
    -the BEST thing about the iPad is that it's perfect for traveling. I hate dragging a laptop with a HDD, DVD, etc with me when all I'm really after is web access and music/video entertainment. The iPhone doesn't work great either, with the tiny screen and short battery life. The iPad would be awesome on planes for watching movies, getting decent-sized maps when traveling new cities, and (allegedly) the 10-hours+ of battery life.

Not quite magical, but I think it's the sort of thing that people would find themselves using much more than they realize. I already don't go to the bathroom at home without my iPhone, so I can 'kill time' with a few games and stuff. If I could get a bigger screen for all that, something to let me read a magazine or whatever, have convenient web-browsing while I'm on the couch watching TV, etc, that would definitely be nice to have.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not apt to buy a first-gen model, but here's what appeals to me:
    -awesome looking eBook reader. Apple killed the Kindle outright, IMO.
    -plenty of good games coming, now with enough screenspace to make controls feasible (addressing the worst thing about iPhone gaming.)
    -the BEST thing about the iPad is that it's perfect for traveling. I hate dragging a laptop with a HDD, DVD, etc with me when all I'm really after is web access and music/video entertainment. The iPhone doesn't work great either, with the tiny screen and short battery life. The iPad would be awesome on planes for watching movies, getting decent-sized maps when traveling new cities, and (allegedly) the 10-hours+ of battery life.

Not quite magical, but I think it's the sort of thing that people would find themselves using much more than they realize. I already don't go to the bathroom at home without my iPhone, so I can 'kill time' with a few games and stuff. If I could get a bigger screen for all that, something to let me read a magazine or whatever, have convenient web-browsing while I'm on the couch watching TV, etc, that would definitely be nice to have.

That's what my netbook is for. It's tiny.

Plus, I can multitask on it...

And it only cost me 399.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see the appeal but it just doesn't have any killer feature I need.

But then again the first iphone wasn't worth it to me either. So who knows, maybe in a year they'll add some features that make it more worthwhile.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    its funny to see how everybody seems disappointed, even tho everybody was expecting just that - an oversized ipod.

For artists, tablet pcs still rule ...

HOWEVER!!! I would LOVE to use an ipad connected to a host PC, to use it as a shortcut/icon/brush holder. Ipod touch can do that already so I keep my hope high for third party devs.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dolemite wrote: »
    I see the appeal but it just doesn't have any killer feature I need.

But then again the first iphone wasn't worth it to me either. So who knows, maybe in a year they'll add some features that make it more worthwhile.

of course. That goes without saying. That's how they roll. And people will buy it up.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    of course. That goes without saying. That's how they roll. And people will buy it up.

lol yeh. of course, I'm sick of using itunes after one go with the iphone. So I think this iphone will be my last apple product.

If apple can make this for 500, then dell will probably make something with pressure sensitivity for 200 lol.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if you were on the fence on getting an ipod or itouch adn just got this instead might be fun.. it's only a couple hundred more...

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone thinking about the type of games that could be on this thing? 10 inch screen, multi touch, with a decent processor? Seems like its basically opening up another gaming platform. Games in the flavor of command an conquer, civilization, point and click adventures, homeworld, diablo, etc etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing what small developers can come up with.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I'm somewhat pleased about it, primarily because the price is right. It's not insanely cool, but I could see using it as a simple little sketchpad/web browser for lounging on the couch, taking to coffee house meetings etc.

I think it will be MUCH better in a couple of years, when they can add a Mac OS to it, with multi-tasking and such, but I think for some casual users it will be a nice device even in it's first iteration.

And as a developer, it's very appealing, as long as some people actually buy it. Compared to the iPhone its plenty cool, just for the larger resolution etc. Multi-touch has all sorts of cool uses in games and other apps.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hah funny to see I'm not alone in my opinion of this thing. That darn Apple video was just too snooty for it's own good, pretending to have reinvented the wheel.
    If I needed something that does these features, I'd get a netbook, it's cheaper, it does more and there's no iTunes.Also, as a game developer I'm really not convinced, it's nothing more than a gimmick. I've tried iPhone games, they just don't cut it in terms of controls.

And Vermillion, the Kindle has a gazillion times more battery life, which really is more important than colors if you just want to read.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the general public:770509271_mUGL4-L.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Just give me a big high resolution digital sketchbook with a pen and pressure sensitivity. Please.

+1

A portable sketchbook/cintiq like pad would fucking ROCK.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    My biggest gripe with this thing is that it has no flash support. Considering a lot of people may buy this to be a light, easy to manage, mobile web browser, it seems insane for it to not have flash. It's surely powerful enough for it, is apple just stubborn? I was hoping for an official version of a ModBook I guess, but hey, at least we have that option if we want a good apple tablet...
  • Slum
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I use my iPod Touch as a pocket netbook. Sure, it can't run PS or Max or whatever on it, but that's not the point of it at all. It's a pocket sized NETBOOK. The iPad is basically a big iPod Touch, and is designed to dominate the netbook, e-reader and portable games market. I do think there's a point to it, just like ASUS think there's a point to their netbook ranges.

Netbooks, to me, are horrible - The small keyboard being it's biggest downfall, which hinges like a regular notebook, making it twice as big and harder to get comfy with. The iPad sorts that out by getting rid of the keyboard all together, having it onscreen. This makes it far more managable and turns a device I'd stuggle to use into something I'd want to use.

It's not a graphics tablet. It's got nothing to do with being a work machine. It's a touchscreen netbook. Some people seem to be missing the point of that entirely.

I'm not an early adopter, but I'm interested in getting one of these, just for browsing/reading/twitter/facebook/emails, especially whilst I'm taking a shit.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Starts at $499.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Vassago wrote: »
    +1

A portable sketchbook/cintiq like pad would fucking ROCK.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI[/ame]

Give me this + Autodesk Sketchbook and I'm happy.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm somewhat pleased about it, primarily because the price is right. It's not insanely cool, but I could see using it as a simple little sketchpad/web browser for lounging on the couch, taking to coffee house meetings etc.
    I like the idea of being able to do that.

The only problem is that I can't see this device doing it very good.

Maybe as a sketchpad, sure, but for taking notes or couch surfing you're probably better off with a simple netbook.

Once you want to do anything more and you realize that you have to carry around a small bag just for any attachments, then I'm sure any love you have for the thing will go away.

My Toshiba netbook FTW.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what my netbook is for. It's tiny.

Plus, I can multitask on it...

And it only cost me 399.

Alrighty, then the iPad would be appealing to anyone that wants a nicely designed netbook with iPhone/iPod interface features. An extra $100 for that doesn't strike me as unrealistic.

The multitasking thing is clearly a big negative. I've got to figure it's a product of the OS. It looked like the ipad shown today was running the standard iPhone OS3.2. People have been talking about the next OS coming soon (certainly by July) and I expect that will have the multi-task capability. The CPU usage argumetn against multi-tasking certainly doesn't apply to the ipad.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    I use my iPod Touch as a pocket netbook. Sure, it can't run PS or Max or whatever on it, but that's not the point of it at all. It's a pocket sized NETBOOK. The iPad is basically a big iPod Touch, and is designed to dominate the netbook, e-reader and portable games market. I do think there's a point to it, just like ASUS think there's a point to their netbook ranges.

Netbooks, to me, are horrible - The small keyboard being it's biggest downfall, which hinges like a regular notebook, making it twice as big and harder to get comfy with. The iPad sorts that out by getting rid of the keyboard all together, having it onscreen. This makes it far more managable and turns a device I'd stuggle to use into something I'd want to use.

It's not a graphics tablet. It's got nothing to do with being a work machine. It's a touchscreen netbook. Some people seem to be missing the point of that entirely.

I'm not an early adopter, but I'm interested in getting one of these, just for browsing/reading/twitter/facebook/emails, especially whilst I'm taking a shit.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Starts at $499.

So what happens when you want to view a webpage with flash?

how will that make you feel after spending all that money on it and not be able to view simple flash video on a site?

Sure, netbooks unfold, but why is that a big deal? I can place it on my lap laying down and angle the screen to my eyes. You can't do that with this.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Hah funny to see I'm not alone in my opinion of this thing. That darn Apple video was just too snooty for it's own good, pretending to have reinvented the wheel.
    If I needed something that does these features, I'd get a netbook, it's cheaper, it does more and there's no iTunes.Also, as a game developer I'm really not convinced, it's nothing more than a gimmick. I've tried iPhone games, they just don't cut it in terms of controls.

And Vermillion, the Kindle has a gazillion times more battery life, which really is more important than colors if you just want to read.

It's not more important to me, and I LOVE to read. I guess the battery life isn't a huge concern for me, as I'm almost always near an outlet and can charge pretty much whenever. But the look of the Kindle just doesn't work for me - it feels like I'm looking at an OCR'd PDF or something. I still don't know that I'd enjoy using the ipad, I love the tactile experience of a book, but it's far more appealing to me than the Kindle's aesthetic.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    They could have nailed this thing if they'd just added pressure sensitive pen input. I'd be perfectly happy with the release specs as they are now, with just that one addition - and I say that as an iphone user, knowing that right now it really is basically just a bigger iphone/touch. I still would have bought one with that one extra feature. Not now though. What a fuck up.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow their infomercials just get me asking more questions.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video
    1:10 "I don't have to change myself to fit the product it fits me" (goofy grin as if hes lying)
    True he doesn't have to bend himself, because its exactly what he wants it to be. However it doesn't bend to what I want it to be...

1:20 "Then we decided, lets redesign, re-imagine and rebuilt every app from the ground up"
    Did you really?

3:00 "You see every one of your albums there"
    What? I don't know how those got on here!? Crazy hackers... No it doesn't take your picture grandma it only lets you look at them, stop pushing the power button.

What happens when I fill up the 16-64gb full of books, movies and photos?
    Can I plug this into my TV or am I stuck watching this stuff on the ipad?
    Can I get netflix on it?

3:35 "You can double tap to fill the whole screen"
    Which is not in wide-screen format...

3:40 "We also built an incredible maps application, which is ... really ... fast"
    In other words does not compete with microsoft maps and comes no where near the functionality of google maps, but we tried, remember, less is more. and we give you more less than anyone else.

4:50 "Plus with the release of the ipad SDK, developers will be building apps specifically for ipad, so there's going to be a whole new gold rush"
    Read: Oh sh!t we've flooded the apps store... please come back...
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17

my disappointment and frustration is for every time a gimmicky fluff piece like this comes along, that's as much time, money, effort and resources removed from the world for developing truly useful, high end products for high end users

i could give two shits for joe public having a play with the latest toy. i'm fucking starving for tools