Home Technical Talk

MoP's Transpose Master Tutorial

artstream
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
artstream polycounter lvl 11
Hey MoP,

I had a question about that tutorial you posted up in WAYWO about using Transpose Master to pose a high res sculpt in ZB.

I can get to step 5 just fine, but when I use TPose > SubT, the hi-res sculpt does not update to a new pose, so I was wondering if there was a step I was missing. Here's how I did it:
1) Take the hi-res sculpt, use Transpose Master to make a TPose mesh, export to .obj. Save that TPose tool (this wasn't directly in the tutorial, but I figured it couldn't hurt).
2) Import in 3D app (my case, 3DSMax), skin & rig.
3) Export posed model back out of 3D app as obj.
4) Import into ZB over the TPose subtool.
5) This is where I press TPose>SubT expecting the hi-res to adopt the pose. Transpose Master has the bar up top that says it's working, but when it's done, my mesh is still the same with no new pose.

Thanks MoP, or anyone who can shed some light on what I may be missing/doing wrong.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, so the low-res TPose Mesh updates correctly with the new pose?

But when you transfer it back, it doesn't re-pose the highpoly?

Sounds strange, I've never seen that happen before... maybe someone else has an idea :/

For reference, here's the tutorial image kaoticvisions is referring to.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, I forgot to post that, thanks MoP.

Something I thought of that might be it---does the vertex ids matter? When I export from ZBrush, the mesh comes out as an Editable Mesh which I convert to an Editable Poly, which changes the vertex ids and I know that's a problem, especially with ZBrush. I'll post some screengrabs soon of the process just to make sure I'm not missing a step.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I just started to use Transpose master on this project I've been working on and I've found it to be a miracle feature. During my posing I had saved out a ztool and obj of the posed version and then had a crash. After you close the program, Zbrush no longer connects the Tpose mesh with the Ztool. It reads it like any other obj. However, transpose master can still adapt your ztools to the new obj.

The solution for this was to go to directly to the ztool that had all of the high poly detail and divisions and just hit TPose>subT (skipping step 5). It should come up with a window asking you to find an obj. Select the posed obj and it will apply the pose to your level 1's. Basically, just cutting step 5 out of MoP's method and applying the pose directly to the high ztool instead of relying on zbrush to make the connection between another open tool and the one you want affected.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to this. I was able to get it to work, and here's how (just in case someone else down the line needs this information).

After you export your low-res TPose mesh from ZBrush, make sure you save your tool because you will be using it again. When exporting into your 3D app (mine is 3DS Max) make sure that you do not make your subtools all one mesh (that's where I was messing up). . Even though the TPose exports it out as one, ZBrush will still be looking for the separation of the subtools when you import it back in. So in a nutshell, when doing this, make sure you keep your subtools separated so that ZBrush can update them later to your new pose.

Thanks MoP for the tutorial in the first place and thanks Frump for a possible solution. It didn't work for me, but that's probably because of the subtools.

This is why I <3 Polycount.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    just some additional info. if you are having problem with vertex reordering in zbrish 3.1.

In max if you leave it as an editable mesh, add an 'edit poly' modifier, then export, it seems to work. converting to to edit poly directly doesn't always work

sometimes you don't need to do this, but the occasional mesh does( max 2010 BTW)