Home General Discussion

Who's going to GDC 2010?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
EDIT: POLYCOUNT MEETUP @ THIRSTY BEAR 7 PM THURS

And should we try to meet up?

A friend of mine pointed out this thread on the tech-artists forum he browses
(http://tech-artists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=799) and I figured it would be a good idea to ask on here and see if people are interested in a polycount meeting at any point. I know there are a few of you guys that I would love to meet in person, hell, I want your autograph, and it would probably be lots of fun or somewhat awkward.

Seems like there are some well known names expressing interest in the tech art meetup - I don't even know how many of Ben Cloward's discussions Ive read and recommended.

Replies

• Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I will be at GDC 2010 Wed - Sat. Should have a Polycount meet up or something for sure.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I should be there all week... lots o meetings to attend though. I'm definitely down for a meet up.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I was planning on going..bought my ticket and everything, but I'm not sure I can afford the plane tickets now, didn't expect them to be that expensive :(. gonna try to work out something with vv, otherwise I might have to get whatever refund I can
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I was planning on going..bought my ticket and everything, but I'm not sure I can afford the plane tickets now, didn't expect them to be that expensive :(. gonna try to work out something with vv, otherwise I might have to get whatever refund I can

As far as plane tickets are conscerned, I had a lot of luck with http://www.bing.com/travel/
    it has a pretty awesome price predictor
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'll be attending with some buddies from school, many of whom frequent these boards. A meet up would be great! We were planning one for the austin GDC but with no date, time, or location it never really came through, lets think of something definite. Oh and there better be booze there or I'm not showing :P
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I'll be working as a volunteer at GDC this year. it would be cool to see some polycount guys, although I'm not as skilled as everyone else here.
    Just tell me when and where.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Never attended one but I've always wanted to. Are the job fairs helpful? Will they give a 31 year old trying to switch careers a chance or do they only help the college kiddies who have a BD degree? (Bachelor of Debt)
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Im gunna try to go, its only a little way to Austin so I'd be dumb not to go.

**Oh wait that was last year, for some reason I thought it was there every year, but I should still try to go!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Same as the past few years - not going, but in the South Bay area if anyone wants to meet up. :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieXL: It's a crapshoot. Went to austin and there really wasn't anyone looking at portfolios with any interest, though they did endulge us a bit. It's a fun event if you're into games and there's always a company party or two to go to. We got shitfaced with valve in Texas, it was awesome. If this is really what you want to do and you don't have a job yet, it's cool to go just for the experience. In all honesty if we hadn't gone to any afterparties or bars in Austin and we were judging this soley on the convention, i'd say pass on it. But it's really cool to brush elbows with industry folk while listening to Journey at 1am.

If you don't have the portfolio to make it anywhere else, it probably isn't going to catapult you into a job, but you really just never know. It's always good to get out there and try to get a job, meet new people and of course just have a good time.

Edit: I shouldn't judge the san fran GDC having just been to the Austin one, supposidly this one is a bit more "legit" but this industry changes so fast who knows what to expect.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I went to GDC Canada last year here in Vancouver. I might be going again, but I dunno, I would probably have to volunteer... again.

Anyone else go to this last year and are going to go again?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Still need to confirm, but I think I'm going. I'll wear my polycount button.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I'll be there all week, definitely game for a meetup.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know, I went to the san fransisco one in either 2007 or 2008 when I first got out of college and ran around desperately with a portfolio. I didn't get a job out of it, but I made a really good friend and I got some great feedback on my work. I plan on doing the same this year and hoping things go better since I have had industry experience now but I'm honestly more going for the networking and the classes. I'd say it's worth it for that :).

Edit: I'm going to be there tues-sat as well. Does anyone know the best way of meeting up? Or time for that matter. I know there's a lot of classes people will want to attend and well, afterparties. There's got to be a safe time somewhere in all that. Maybe lunchtime?
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Oh man, I'd love to go to Vancouver's GDC this year, but that's going to be grad show day at my school and I'm sure there's going to be last minute scrambling/compositing/hopeless sobbing going on. Going to have to live vicariously through everyone else. :)
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know, I went to the san fransisco one in either 2007 or 2008 when I first got out of college and ran around desperately with a portfolio. I didn't get a job out of it, but I made a really good friend and I got some great feedback on my work. I plan on doing the same this year and hoping things go better since I have had industry experience now but I'm honestly more going for the networking and the classes. I'd say it's worth it for that :).

Edit: I'm going to be there tues-sat as well. Does anyone know the best way of meeting up? Or time for that matter. I know there's a lot of classes people will want to attend and well, afterparties. There's got to be a safe time somewhere in all that. Maybe lunchtime?

I think the best way to meet would be in the lobby of Moscone North building. I'll be volunteering so look for some kind of brightly colored shirt. I don't have my work schedule so I don't know when I'll be available.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    The most entertaining thing at gdc last year was the dominance war booth, and watching the crew sculpt.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    After years on the sidelines, I'm actually planning on attending. I've already checked with my corporate overlords to make sure that I can get the necessary two days off. As much as I would love to attend the whole event, I'll probably have to settle for an Expo Pass. I can't afford to drop that kind of money on the full pass at the moment, and I can't afford to be away from work for four days either. So I'm looking at attending Thursday through Saturday.

I'll have my portfolio updated for the career pavilion, but I'm not expecting much. I'm really more interested in the indie side of the industry anyway. To that end, I would be very interested in meeting some of the Valve guys. Maybe pitch some ideas at them for Steam games, to see which ones they like. (so I know which one they would be more likely to accept before I start work on it) Definitely looking forward to seeing the Indie Game conference/awards.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    We got shitfaced with valve in Texas, it was awesome.

ha yeah it was awesome Jeff! So was that other random bar the next night. Only two things that really made the trip worth going.

As for GDC Austin it was nothing like SF that I went to earlier in the year. Almost all the booths had an artist or two there over the week. Not to mention it was twice as big. When I heard Austin was smaller I had no idea it was almost non exsistant.

And when a super big name studio happens to be in the same city as GDC, has a booth already paid for and wont send anyone but HR people over you know its a waste of your time and there's being there.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be there, tickets purchased and ready to rock!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    hopefully, they'll show off some Gothic 4? but probably some Project Natal shit.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, good times Anthony. Plenty of good memories from the trip, and good BBQ to boot. Glad to hear there might be more artists and the San Fransisco GDC.

So anyone know of some good restaurants/ bars we could meet at in the area? Lets get the ideas rolling and pick something definite. Let's also think of the best time, when we're all most likely to be in the area but not missing out on any major GDC specific gatherings.

Oh, and i'm sure there might be a few of us under 21 so a bar might not be the best choice.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game Artisan's is trying for a meetup on their forums, would anyone be opposed to a joint meetup? The last GDC meetup ended up never happening so this might boost the odds of something actually poppin'! We can put the rivalry aside (at least till they've bought the first round) for a day and just chill with other game artists. Or hell, we can sit around and let them put this all together and crash the party :D
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hell, we can sit around and let them put this all together and crash the party :D

This. :p
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or hell, we can sit around and let them put this all together and crash the party :D
    Sounds good to me :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    wish i could go!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not gotten my pass yet, but I have purchased my plane tickets. (it was a long day at work yesterday, I'll sign up for the pass tonight) I'm game for any polycount meet-up that will be taking place.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah count me out, can't afford it this year, plus no real reason to go haha. might go to pax instead XD
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perhaps if everyone just types in when they're available, we can figure out where and when.
    Since I'm volunteering lunch time is probably the best time for me.
    Also meeting in the North building is probably better.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I hope work lets me go, unafforable otherwise.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    I have not gotten my pass yet, but I have purchased my plane tickets. (it was a long day at work yesterday, I'll sign up for the pass tonight) I'm game for any polycount meet-up that will be taking place.

~ Make sure you get a pass soon. Prices start rising from the 4th of Feb.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    man, what does it take to volunteer for GDC? I've submitted an application for the third year in a row and have been denied! I think my lack of foreign language skills could be whats holding me back. Not really sure. ah well! next year!

those who are going are going to have a great time i am sure of. Lucky bastards! :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    I'll be there too. We had a great polycount meet up last year. Nick organized it, so I'll go upstairs and see if he wants to make a post on here again and head up getting everyone in together.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    LOL Well, I'm tempted to say fuck it after the clusterfuck last year turned into. . . but how can I not want to see all of your ugly mugs again?!

Fine, I'll organize another meeting, especially since I can get some help from Adam this year.

I'll start looking into places, let's tentatively say Saturday night around 6:30/7?

Last year we met out front of the North Hall, and then walked over to CPK. That then inflated from there.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purchased my pass, purchased my plane tickets, I am there! Really looking forward to it too. I'll be working hard on my portfolio and designing some new business cards between now and then.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say something like a bar would be more fitting then the dinner. Dinner was a clusterfuck and a half, and people wanted to get up and move around but the wait staff wasn't having any of that. I think at one point they gave us an ultimatum and threatened to have us leave if anyone else switched tables.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enough people have suggested meeting up at the North building that I think we should definitely meet up there, at least initially. Going to a bar where we could move around would be cool, but I don't know much about bars in the area. Where I live bars are either damn small, extremely loud, or they have dress codes. Is anyone familiar enough with the area to suggest anything?

I'd say Saturday evening is hit or miss, I know personally I've got a flight out that night and I probably wouldnt be able to meet up for long if we met at 6:30 (maybe an hour :( ) I don't think I'd be the only one who has to worry about a trip back, but I might be wrong
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I'll be there with another Exis employee. I haven't seen some of you guys for a while, so lets do this polycount.

Manny you around? Andrew? Jesse?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Gonna be there, and doing a sponsored lecture for Maxon on Bodypaint.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hell yeah, do you do autographs? :D
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Adam, Nick: If you want help organizing count me in. :) I'm local this time, but poorer. heh. So I may not be able to attend GDC proper, but I'll sure make it across the bridge to hang out.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah, do you do autographs? :D

Only in semen on the inner thigh.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only in semen on the inner thigh.

I never got one of those when I met you... Then again, that was like 6 years ago, and I didn't ask. That's a mistake I shall not make again. Seeya in March! :p

Btw, is the BodyPaint lecture going to be tips/tricks/workflow specific to BP, or more software-agnostic stuff? I know it'you said it's Maxon-sponsored, but it never hurts to ask.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK wrote: »
    I never got one of those when I met you... Then again, that was like 6 years ago, and I didn't ask. That's a mistake I shall not make again. Seeya in March! :p

Btw, is the BodyPaint lecture going to be tips/tricks/workflow specific to BP, or more software-agnostic stuff? I know it'you said it's Maxon-sponsored, but it never hurts to ask.

My portion is almost exclusively on Bodypaint and how I use it in conjunction with Max, for both old school painted textures, as well as next gen diffuse textures. However last time I had on hand a C4D expert from Maxon who could answer the more specific questions I didn't know about.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18

Sweet. I'll be there this year as well.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Good line up. This should be pretty slick!
  • xerious3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will be attending this year also, hoping to meet with Gameartisans as well - Hope to see you all
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will be there again this year we wont be having a booth since Fred is opening a studio in canada right now. But you might be able to catch me around the wacom booth im talking to those guys about helping set up some demos for their products. (not by me of course)

Last years meeting was nice, this year Tummer maybe not piss off the manager and already pre ask for the outside patio :). I keed I keed!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ It looks like there'll be more people this year than last year, so a dinner is probably not an option :/

Ben, you gonna be around the whole time week? We should meet up before your lectures or something if you are.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, gonna be there from the 11-18 I think? I forget the exact days, but will be there the whole week.