Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Environment Scene (UDK)

Glode
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Glode polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone :)

I posted this up in the "what are you working on" thread last week, so I thought I'd start a new topic to hopefully get some feedback/comments on this scene.

The scene was created for a University Project (assigned to recreate a movie scene or create a scene inspired by a movie). I decided to create a scene inspired by the movie "Aliens".

Here is the final shot:
highresscreenshot00036.jpg

some other shots:

aliensscene3.jpg
aliensscene1.jpg
aliensscene2.jpg

Theres alot of stuff I would of liked to of done with this scene aswell as alot of things I never got a chance to fix.. but since its been handed in now I can get back to work on it without any real time restraints.

Theres a few minor UV problems that I can fix, and I can also start remaking alot of the assets (lack of time kinda killed some of the quality on some models >_<)

Any feedback is welcome :)

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Decent start, but I'll give you similar feedback I get Hydzior over in his thread - its too obvious its made in Unreal. You're using the same archetypes of a typical Unreal-built environment: Coloured lighting, heavy bloom, and a somewhat noisy set up.

I love the shots - the angles and composition are nice, but you're relying too much on these given archetypes to really make this piece feel different. How does this seen look with only 1 light? How about 2? Battlestar had great lighting in its hallways - florescent mixed with the odd bulb. The clear lighting allowed for the colours of their hallways (greys and browns) to pop out.

I would, if I were you working on this, strip my scene of all lights (including the emissive surfaces) and start with 1 main source of light. Then accent that with support lights that draw the eye around. It's good to think logically for the environment itself, but its better to think of lighting as a support for drawing the eye around your environment and show us - the viewer - the goods.
  • Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    Cheers for that adam, yeah I was never really that happy with the lighting in the scene.. it just seemed boring to me.

I will go and have a skip through some battlestar scenes and see how they set up the lighting in those and create a quick moodboard from it then come up with some ideas for lighting placements.

I will definitely test some stuff with the lighting tonight after doing some more research.

Thanks again!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Right on. Post your findings and updates when you have them. Lets see where your inspiration takes you.
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with adam on this. I do love the scene however (being a total "Aliens" fan); although speaking of my agreement. I must say the lighting is a little bit much in my taste (opinion), and it is quite similar to a Unreal styled map. A tip also, hop back and watch through the "Aliens" movie again, and pay close attention to the ambeience, surroundings, and that lighting. Maybe add some texture to the walls to give off a sign of struggle or hunt (scratches, blood, bullet holes, and such). Anyways, that's my opinion and I think it looks stunning. : ) Good luck!