Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Fountain

Hey guys and gals!

It has been a while since I posted any of my work but I figured it would be good to get some of your feedback! I recently started working on the textures for a stone fountain I made. This is still a wip, mainly working on textures from here on out. Any comments and crits are most welcome!

fountain.jpg
fountain2.jpg
fountain3.jpg
fountain4.jpg
Thanks

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The rock looks too soft and doughy. Gold needs work too.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work.

The 2 stairs needs to be border lined (just between them).

Side edges needs to be more solid than this in terms of texture.

Also a bit more detailing right above the 2 stairs (stones needs to be detailed) might give this fountain a bit more live look.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing. =)
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this a cap from Max/Maya or any engine? As Zac said,this mainly needs work on the materials and more definition on the rocks. Can we see the maps?
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    the thing about stone constructs is that they very often have very visible non-uniform seams separating the carved pars from the placed ones. There are exceptions to this, but doesn't feel like an Egyptian-pyramid-perfect-stone-cutting-technique kind of fountain.

It will also help with the gold if you get it perfect and shiny and looking brand new, then muck it up and tarnish it from there. That way the parts that aren't mucked up will read easier, and in turn make the tarnished bits look better.
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

I am using the UDK btw, sorry about not mentioning that.

The soft and doughy-ness of the stone, is that do to the diffuse texture or the normal map. I chose to sculpt all the pieces and I think I may have lost too much edge definition. I am debating on re-sculpting the piece, considering how much I learned on my last attempt, I could improve it quite a bit.

Here is a re sized set of the textures I am using as well as the node network for my material.

fountainTextures.jpg
    fountainMat.jpg
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant say i like the moss much, especially near the base.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    This would greatly benefit from a high poly bake. It looks OK for only being a straight low poly model. I don't really have anything to add that wasn't already said. Maybe make a hi poly model with some cracks and broken bits and bake a normal.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I think this could benefit from some hard edged vs soft edge - like at the bottom keep that very egyptian and hard edged, but in the middle columns maybe have them stay like they are and add some cracks and push the non uniformness kind of like a stonehenge thing.. then when you get to the top push the hard edges again.. could be very nice.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with what was said before.

Could you perhaps post screenshots of your highpoly? It would help us give you better feedback.
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few images of some parts of the sculpt. Due to my computer limitations at the time I had several scenes with the pieces being used.

I had lost some of the more recent files which had the micro details such as the slight stone texture. But these are very close to what I was using for my normal map baking.

fountainMidMudbox.jpg
    fountainMidMudbox2.jpg
    fountainMidMudbox3.jpg
    fountainMidMudbox4.jpg
    fountainTopMudbox.jpg
    fountainTopMudbox2.jpg