Home Technical Talk

Planet creation in EVE Online

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
I've been messing with different ways of doing this over the last few days and got great results (thanks for input from EQ as well), but I never went as far as the guys from EVE Online went. They created some rather nifty shader stuff which went well above what I was doing.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=724

I was wondering in particular, if anybody understands what they were doing with the the city light shader setup. They don't go into a lot of detail about it. It just shows UV chunks from random bits, UV'd in a wonky fashion, being mapped to a square texture? Seems like something was left out.

Ingame, their results are fantastic. No texture stretching anywhere and everything is nice and sharp. They even have storms in the planet cloud cover and such - looks stunning.

Replies

• DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    It seems to be a way of mapping a sphere and masking it off that gives you good sections to place the city lights. I'm not familiar with baking out a texture coordinate map, but perhaps the colors indicate elevations?

That's some pretty awesome stuff, thanks for pointing it out Vassago.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    Hello Joshua.
    Me and P
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have a few questions on this, oh and btw i played eve for a long time so its good to see those planets getting some love, absolutely great job, planets where one of first things i did in 3d and these ones are just sick.

Anyways i understand that the texture on the left is basically spherically mapped to the first uv set of the sphere, and that it contains data that points to a place on an atlas texture. My question refers to the baking procedure. Was a custom sampling method created or was one of maya default methods used. And what sort of method was it, im having trouble picturing it, but im thinking that maybe a series of quads was placed where cities would be, and they where mapped to somewhere on the atlas texture, then somehow uv space info was transferred from the quads onto the uv set of the sphere. Is this somewhat accurate, or am i on the wrong track.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ah that's a neat trick Brice :)

As for baking - my guess would be: UV quads on an atlas sheet and RTT their UV's as bitmap. Using this texture, place the quads all over the sphere surface then project that sphere and RTT the diffuse.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I remember well I used a sphere with the proper uv layout centered at the origin. Then I created a bunch of quads with their uv unwrapped on the 'city light' texture coordinates, with their pivot at the origins, but lying above the sphere surface. This way you only need the rotate tool to move them around. The artists placed them with love but no overlapping.
    Then we swapped the 'city light texture' with one that is a rgb value of the uvs. I had to create that texture using a cgfx shader because some color correction/gamma was probably messing things up in photoshop. Bake everything into the sphere's Uvs, done :)
    I guess i can look for that uv color texture if needed
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for that explanation it makes perfect sense.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a crazy process, Brice. Amazing technique and the results are well worth the effort - they look amazing, so nice work! Thanks a lot for breaking that down some :)
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    That UV texture thing is really awesome idea. The uv texture has to be relatively high resolution though or you would get strange pixelated uv distortion right? Or is that not really a problem?
  • Clockwork
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That UV texture thing is really awesome idea. The uv texture has to be relatively high resolution though or you would get strange pixelated uv distortion right? Or is that not really a problem?

Yeah it's neat, too bad it's note mine ^^ some guy at CCP dig that up from a paper I think.
    What's funny is that there was more artifacts with high res textures. I guess the trillinear filtering does a better job with a low res than dxt, Uvs in this case are a very linear information. The mask had to be highres tough so they might have ended up on two different textures or fetched from a lower mipmap I don't really know about the final implementation.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome video, clockwork. You're not allowed to get that close to the planets in-game so it's nice to get right next to them in that vid. Been playing about 2yrs now, so nice work Brice! :)
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx joshua :) but there's also a TON of very good artwork by the guys of ccp

uv...even always linear ? .. maybe

I couldn't find the file so i made a new one the same way
    http://www.mentalwarp.com/~moob/show/polycount/uvColor.png

i didn't 'test it' even if i don't see anything that could really go wrong
    (a 2048 png of lossless gradient is just 22Ko ? nice ^^)

a 256 should be able to store the full range of 8bits, so i also rendered a 128bits dds too. but it seems to be in linear space and i can never get the exact same image when i convert it to 8bits. another interesting mystery. anyway i can't tell which one is more accurate...but it shouldn't matter at all. :)