Home Technical Talk

bad normal maps

errortrial.jpg

I create 2 basic box´s and 2 basic "balls" and combined them.

Then created another box and set the uv´s but wen i click bake it just give that very bad result what im i doing rong ??? the smal box doesnt even appear on normal instead it creates balls every were :S any help??

PS: i set the blinn shader

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm not a maya guy, but if I had to wager a guess I'd try increasing the max search depth % value a little
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    By default the green channel is reversed in Maya, so the stuff shows up wrong. You need to reverse it.
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm how do i do that ??
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Take it into photoshop and invert the green channel. There is a way somewhere in Maya to do it.... I can't remember off the top of my head, but my buddy and I use to use a custom shader instead of the 2d texture node for normal maps which had an invert R G B channel built in. It's got something to do with the way maya generates the normal map, unless they changed it in recent versions.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Do not flip the green channel. The green channel is inverted in Max NOT Maya.

It looks like your problem is that the spheres and box have inverted normals. Just select them and hit Normals>inverse. Then bake again. To check which way the normals are facing you can turn on Shading>backface culling or go to Display>Polygons>Face Normals.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Progg wrote: »
    By default the green channel is reversed in Maya, so the stuff shows up wrong. You need to reverse it.

This is incorrect.
    Maya stores tangent-space settings per mesh in the scene, so if you bake any normal-maps for that mesh, they will display correctly in the viewport. The only time they wouldn't is if you changed the tangent-space setting after baking.

It's definitely a ray length issue - it's just not tracing far enough. You can edit the search envelope range per mesh in the mesh list at the top of the Transfer Maps window.
    You can also set the global distance at the bottom of the Transfer Maps window. These are the settings you'll want to mess around with.
  • THNKR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give this try: in stead of rendering with the Maya SW renderer, use mental ray. I suspect that the normal maps look OK in the viewport and in mental, just not in the SW renderer, right?
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8474884.jpg

I tryed whit diferent mesh i made sure the highpoly is inside envelope.
    baked and :

8474900.jpg

The normals looks right but its looks so bad :S any help ?