Home Technical Talk

UV map size.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

Im looking for some insight on how to change my UV map from 1:1 to 2:1.. basically 512x256.

I know I've seen a tutorial around here for that but no idea where to even start looking.

Thanks

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <cough> what-app <cough>
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    In max, unwrap like normal, fill half of the UV space and then scale it vertically (so it looks stretched). In Maya, I have no idea HA.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    In max, unwrap like normal, fill half of the UV space and then scale it vertically (so it looks stretched). In Maya, I have no idea HA.
    Actually in Max there are a few ways.
    If you apply a material that has a texture that is the correct size, the UVEditor will switch over automatically if you change the material selector in the upper right from the checker pattern to the actual texture.

OR

You can open the options tab, check on "Use Custom Bitmap Size" and set the size to what you need.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Wow Vig way to make me look like an ass....

HAHA, just kidding, I can always count on you for ways around my stupid ways of doing things....
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In max sorry =\

edit: I feel dumb for checking everywhere in max BUT the options tab in the UV unwrap.. sweet. lol.. now, after I changed that it stretches the checkers.. i assume thats fine?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    it bends and stretches some code too :) my impression of 3dsmax's UV tools is that most work under the concept of squared mapping spaces. I can't explain it but most tools and commands of the UVunwrap editor simply fail at non square texture situations.
    Thats why most people I know that really need rectangular textures unwrap in square space and size it down once they are done.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Thats why most people I know that really need rectangular textures unwrap in square space and size it down once they are done.

That's what I do as well, since you'll have to scale the UVs afterwards anyways, if you map it to 1/2 the UV space. One thing that bugs me about adjusting the custom bitmap size in the UV editor is how horribly long it takes for it to update once you type a new dimension in. If there's a texture in the BG and you change it from 256 to 512, it'll just pause for like 5-6seconds (worse if it's higher).

3dsmax really needs to evolve. Their UV tools are fine, but they're just OLD. Lots of shit is old in max. Editable MESH? Hellloooooo.....
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Wow Vig way to make me look like an ass....

HAHA, just kidding, I can always count on you for ways around my stupid ways of doing things....
    See how it comes full circle, heh.

I've run into some problems like scaling then rotating something, it will squash/stretch the piece, but it doesn't happen every time and sometimes UVW XForm fixes it. Of course I can't get it to freak out now that I'm trying so they might have fixed somethings in 2010 when they added some of the new tools.

I totally agree with Josh they have a great set of features too bad its bloated and weighed down by year and years of bloat. It won't happen for two reasons:

Time, with yearly updates they barely have time to hack in user made scripts and plug-ins, hello polyboost meet the ribbon... Oh gawd what is the ribbon doing... thats not natural someone get a hose!

Customers and a lot of scripts depend on the old systems.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have to play around with it.

Hopefully 2010 max is a little better for this.. which brings me to my next question. How do I UNinstall max 9. Theres no option for it in the 'uninstall program' within control panel, and there is no unistall.exe within the max folder. wtf.

I have max 2010 waiting to be isntalled, but i don't want to do so untill i get rid of 9. I only have so much hard drive space.. lol. Would deleting the whole max9 folder work?