Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pawn - yea another one.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
Hey so I've entered the pawn challenge over at GA and I'd like to get some feed back on my sculpt so far - my theme is futuristic ancient greek gods - and i'm doing the evil gods, so for the pawn I chose to do a wraith. Heavily inspired by the wraiths from God of War - with some futuristic stuff thrown in. The only thing I've got left to do is the teeth, open to any crits and suggestions.

Thanks!wraithpawnwip_2.jpg

Replies

• Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    At least from the picture, it seems as though a lot of the sculpt in the torso is being lost in the detail, which is very small, so it comes off as being a bit too noisy.

The actual arm is also really thin and feels as if it's barely holding on, might want to thicken that up, especially compared to the source.

Can't wait to see some updates with the full body, keep it up man!
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply! It does seem a bit noisy on another inspection, and I think half of that is due to the material and half of it is because it is indeed too noisy.. I'll see if I can tone down the noise a bit so you can see some definition a bit better. Thanks!

One thing about the arm is that its thin because it is actually just the bone - with a few cracks in it.. There's going to be no meat on the bone, just skeleton.

Guess I should post some close ups...
  • whipSwitch
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    i would recommend working in more pieces. I did a quick paint over to illustrate, because I lack the ability to verbally express myself :)

wraithpawnwip_2.jpg

might help if you expand on the bigger shapes in the torso area(ignore my marks if you like, just make it more interesting) and make the pauldron a separate piece, then design a way they connect, rather than just blending them together.

I also agree with mcejn, the upper arm needs to be thicker, even if it just bone. I would also make it a separate piece from the lower arm, especially if it's bone, the interconnectivity of the two will be easier to read.
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion, I was actually unsure of how to break it up, as it stands right now the weapon, the bone, the torso and the head and both connecting parts are separate pieces. The suggestion to break up the weapon is a great one, I was actually wondering how I could get better hard edged detail where it connects (I'm not too great at hard surface stuff in Zbrush. I'll break the pauldron and the torso up as well. Thanks!
  • Wyldcard
    1st off, looks great. Im jealous of anyone with the skills to do Zbrush this well.
    I'm gonna follow Whipswitchs idea and use a picture.

wraithpawnwip_2.jpg

Just an idea but following the futuristic idea and using the robotic style circled on the right. Taking it up the spine and using it to connect to the shoulder, possibly to reinforce the thin arm.

Wasnt sure in the leather effect on the arm, being futuristic. Does look cool tho.
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the kind words Wyldcard . They sincerely mean a lot, and I do like your suggestion, that was in fact my original intent to have the high poly metal run up the spine, however I'm not too great at high poly modeling in Zbrush, so it didn't turn out quite how I hoped. I'll make another pass at it and see if I can get something similar going. I also like the idea of incorporating the metal into the arm somehow. I'll look into it as I'm pretty much out of Poly's - 6000 tri limit. But we'll see what i can do. Thanks again! and trust me its just a matter of time until you can model anything in Zbrush - just patience and practice.