Home Technical Talk

3Dmax8 lost feature : Remember the Poly selection from editable poly to Unwrap Uvw ?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
Hello,

I passed from Max 8 to Max 2010. And something really usefull is missing now. Into Max 8 when you were selecting fews polys in EditablePoly than switch to UnwrapUvw modifier. 3DMax kept in mind the selection (That was perfect because Editable Poly do have better selection tool than UnwrapUvw) more off all sometime you need to select polys in editable poly mode than want to unwrap it immediately. Actually you need to re select all your polys twice. Once in editable poly than into UnwrapUvw.

Do someone loved this workflow inside Max8. Do you think that max2010 need it ?

Workflow inside max8.

1. Select some poly into the Editable Poly modifier.
2. Uncheck the "Poly" selection button.
3. Add an unwrap uvw modifier and select face.
4. The unwrap uvwmodifier will remind the polys selected into editable poly

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't do #2.

Just select and with the selection still active apply unwrapUVW and the selection will carry over.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we do like you're saying Vig, inside the Unwrap UVW modifier your selection is stucked. You cannot continue unwraping other polys without re adding an other Edit poly/Unwrap uvw modifier or without collapsing your stack and adding an other unwrap uvw modifier.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    cath i'm using max10 and mine still keeps my selection as always. using the steps you picked
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Rhino are you sure ? It's not working on any computer of my company ... Are you working with a normal install ? Or are you using script ?

Here is a video of the workflow can you do the same thing with Max 2010 ???

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6964/max8selectionfrompolyto.mp4
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    I tried in max 2010 and it does not do what it does on your vid.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    works for me, even the other way around:
    select some faces in UVunwrap mode and then apply a editPoly modifier: it keeps the face selection.
    I use this quite often to delete unnoticed and not needed faces during the unwrapping process.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    if you select your faces in epoly and leave sub object mode without deselecting anything, then apply the unwrap mod. When you open the unwrap window you might have to go to faces mode to see the faces selected.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage your solution is the same as Vig gave us so i'll copy/past my answer.
    Just replace Vig by Sage :-)
    Cathodeus wrote: »
    If we do like you're saying Vig, inside the Unwrap UVW modifier your selection is stucked. You cannot continue unwraping other polys without re adding an other Edit poly/Unwrap uvw modifier or without collapsing your stack and adding an other unwrap uvw modifier.

Can we try to indentifiy why is it working on some computer and not on other ? Wich os are you running ? I'm under Windows XP Pro 32 Bits. What is your cpu/graphic card brand ?

RenderHjs : Can you please create a little video with the same workflow showing that it's working under 2010.

As 3Dmax beta tester i'm working with autodesk to keep it working on all computers.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Actually my solution is different than what Vig wrote. Vig said to not deselect things and add the unwrap modifier, he didn't specify to leave epoly subobject mode and then apply the unwrap modifier. He said don't do 2. That's all he said. I did specify what to do because you get different results depending on how you do it. Reread my first post, I said to leave subobject mode before, you apply the unwrap modifier and without deselecting anything.

If you apply the unwrap modifier while you are inside of epoly the selected faces go in alone, it's like they are isolated from the rest of the model. Which is what you did I assume from the explanation you gave. If you make your selection then exit epoly and then apply the unwrap modifier then you keep your selection but you also have access to the rest of the faces because you are applying the unwrap modifier to the entire object and not just to the selected faces. I was specific because Max will behave differently depending on how you do it.

Here is how I do it, but it's rare. I find the the unwrap mod selection tools to be good enough now and I have no need to do this most of the time.

1. Make selection in editable poly.
    2. Leave suboject mode
    3. apply unwrap mod to the entire object

By the way if you use edit poly modifier, it doesn't work. The machine I tried it with though had the chuggnuts uv script installed so that might make a difference....
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage did you took a look at my video (A few post over). I'm doing exactly what you say but it's not working under Max2010 on my computer while it was working under max8. (that's why i'm asking somebody working that way under max2010 to make a video).
    If the behviour is different running Max2010 over different machine --> It's a bug.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    -=EDIT=-

Just tried my suggestion and didn't work. Nothing to see here:poly136: