Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flakk Cannon - WIP

PredatorGSR
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys,

Started working on a new piece for my portfolio. The concept is a warhammer style flakk cannon in a small jungle clearing. I've been working on the high poly of the cannon and this is what I've got so far. I'm still working on the main elements, primarily I haven't done the back of the barrels or the center where they attach. I'll keep posting updates as I work on it, any feedback is welcome during the process.

Added Reference.
flakkreference.jpg

Update 4:

silhouette.jpg
turn1.jpg
turn2.jpg
turn3.jpg
turn4.jpg

Update 5: High Poly Completed

render1.jpg
render2.jpg

Update 6: Low Poly

lowpoly.jpg
wire1.jpg
wire2.jpg
wire3.jpg

Update 7: Normal Map and AO
marmoset.jpg

Update 8: Texturing First Pass

texturev1.jpg

mapsv1.jpg

Latest Update: V2 Textures

texturev2.jpg

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    pretty cool. would like to see it textured
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I love the detail. but i hate the gears. dont make them spiky. cant wait to see it textured!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I agree, I'll do another pass on the gears as well.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    cool design on the gun man!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great nice work! I really like the detail on the feet.

- The top ammo boxes kind of end abruptly, maybe add some kind of end cap detail?
    - I'm not sure putting the lower ammo boxes inside the mechanism is a practical idea, wouldn't they be reaching inside or have to raise the gun to swap them out?
    - Gear teeth are hard to translate to low poly without chunking up the poly count. Maybe but a gear guard cover over the mechanism, for safety and... poly count. It also keeps the animators from killing you when you're gear ratios don't match.

Looking forward to seeing more, nice work so far, keep it up!
  • Skurcey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5 shots per clip :(
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Skurcey wrote: »

Make 'em count, boys! Wait till you see the white of their eyes! D:<
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skurcey wrote: »

Heh, yea. Doesn't seem too realistic. I tried a lot of ways to increase the clip capacity, but couldn't get anything I liked. The reference I'm using looks cool, be there are some elements that just don't make a lot of sense. Overall though, this is more about looks than function.

Heck, in DOWII, the weapons fire unlimited ammo, and never reload, so I figured I'm in good company. I had to use the copout of caseless ammunition to explain why there are no ejection ports (I made them, but they didn't fit anywhere it would make sense).

Edit: Added reference to my first post.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 4:

Big update this time. I think I'm getting close to finishing the high poly. There are a couple areas I'm still not happy with, such as the ammo clips and the vertical gear. Going to redo those areas, and go over the rest of the model for fine tuning.

Let me know if you have any crits or suggestions.

silhouette.jpg
    turn1.jpg
    turn2.jpg
    turn3.jpg
    turn4.jpg
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Oho, I love me a good Warhammer (especially 40K) model! If the gun is to match the scenario of the original hard model? With the Orks and Grots manning it? I would suggest "Makin' it Orky!" Live up to the true spirit of the WAAAAAGGHH!!! and give it some random slaps of metal and various other items. ; ) A few points though for those commenting on the gears and clips of the gun (so far). In Warhammer? Things tend to be spikey and powerful, even if in short supply. I would stick with my previous suggestion of simply orkifying it... That is unless of course it is manned by something else other than the green skin dogs?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    The details are looking great. The only thing that is glaring to me is that the reference's pivot point is about in the center of the two bays of guns. You have yours attached directly at the top bay. There are other small details but what you have going is sexy.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion wrote: »
    Oho, I love me a good Warhammer (especially 40K) model! If the gun is to match the scenario of the original hard model? With the Orks and Grots manning it? I would suggest "Makin' it Orky!" Live up to the true spirit of the WAAAAAGGHH!!! and give it some random slaps of metal and various other items. ; ) A few points though for those commenting on the gears and clips of the gun (so far). In Warhammer? Things tend to be spikey and powerful, even if in short supply. I would stick with my previous suggestion of simply orkifying it... That is unless of course it is manned by something else other than the green skin dogs?

That's a good suggestion, I'll see if I can incorporate it. I kinda mixed and matched elements, its the base from a space marine aa gun, and the top of the ork gun. Not going to have any characters in the scene, but definitely going for something leaning towards orc style.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    So is it Orky, or Impy Guard?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe the orks stole/scavanged an imperial guard aa gun and stuck an ork cannon on it. Although really the ork base in the references was just some 2x4's, and I wanted to have something more interesting. So it's a hybrid.
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Nothing wrong at all with a hybrid of ideas. If your planning to do texturing? Or additional objects, just make it look strapped together. I mean wood burns, explodes and splinters. It could mean they went to find something stronger and more secure.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I like it! Really good stuff.

I think it might look a little more interesting if the legs had a bit of an angle to them instead of coming straight out flush with the ground.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i still hate the spiky gears!!! still, the model is SICK!
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Iv been watching your progress on other forums with this model and, I have to agree with some of the above posts about the gears. You become immediately aware of them on first glance because there is so much detail surrounding. Bring them into line with the outstanding (I feel) quality of the rest of the piece and it will be a great model.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 5:

I think I'm pretty much finished with the high poly. Redid several sections, most notably the gears, clips, and base proportions. I did a quick test in mudbox, and I was able to get some really cool damage and wear details, but that takes an insane number of polys so I'll be doing it piece by piece in mudbox once I'm ready to bake.

Next step is to make the low poly. I'm setting a rough goal of 8-10k tris. With the ingame size of this object, I think that is realistic for a FPS.

render1.jpg
    render2.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Damn that is beefy man, incredibly inspirational... can't wait to see it textured!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Were does he sit to fire the gun?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out the reference. There is one ork on each side who controls the horizontal and vertical rotation, and another who hangs onto the back of the cannon to fire it, hence the hand and foot holds.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    Wow!How do you model that holes&
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman wrote: »
    Wow!How do you model that holes&

That was actually pretty difficult, and I had to try several different methods. I tried to do booleans first, but due to the curve of the barrel, the cylinders actually became oval shapes when they intersected with the barrel.

The method I ended up using was to subdivide the barrel edge loops until the topology was made up of perfect squares. I then added space between the squares, and deleted the squares where I wanted holes. Then I ran a smooth, which turned the squares into circles. I did it for one hole, and then duplicated it around until it made a strip, and duplicated and offset that around until it made the whole barrel. It ended up being pretty complicated, but gave the best result. That was the general method I used, I don't remember the exact details, but this is the topology after it was done.

holes.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Extremely nice work.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Looks sick man! I really dig the attention to details :)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How very delicious!

Best of luck on the bake, cannot wait to see the results!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, new goal for the low poly is 20k tris. Just finished doing one of the legs, and it weighs in at 2k, multiplied by 4 is 8k just for the legs. I had to do some aggressive cutting to get it down to 2k. All the bolts are adding up (about 800 tris for bolts just on a leg), but they are thick enough to need a 6 sided cylinder and can't just be baked into the normal map. It's looking like I'm also going to need to flatten down the rivets in order to get a good bake.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I guess. It looks like hes sitting on something on his back side.

Ad what bolts are you talking about? That doesn't look like a 2K job per a leg. Carr to show a progress of the low poly :]
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, 20k sounds like a massive count for that gun..
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, new goal for the low poly is 20k tris. Just finished doing one of the legs, and it weighs in at 2k, multiplied by 4 is 8k just for the legs. I had to do some aggressive cutting to get it down to 2k. All the bolts are adding up (about 800 tris for bolts just on a leg), but they are thick enough to need a 6 sided cylinder and can't just be baked into the normal map. It's looking like I'm also going to need to flatten down the rivets in order to get a good bake.

yeah this is the one thing about making game art that irks me. In a way your highpoly meshes need to be designed around the baking technology. Avoiding harsh angles in the normal map is key to having edges display nice lighting. Designs like this flak cannon- flourish off of being boxy and blunt- which is what normal maps don't seem to do very well, unless you have a lot of tris in your lowpoly.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That things so badass, great job.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As requested, here are the wires of the leg. The final low poly is around 1800 tris. It's kinda hard to tell without having it in a 3D viewport, but I think it is about as optimized as it is going to get. It's fairly expensive, but the only way it could be cheaper is by removing detail, unless you guys see something I'm missing. The faces on the bottom of the main leg bar, and the bottom of the foot have been deleted as well. That ended up saving more texture space than polycount, but every bit helps.

I went through the baking process to try to head off any issues before they caused any problems, and ended up fixing up several parts. This is just a temporary bake with a quick and dirty uv layout, without the mudbox pass. I think the normal map ended up working pretty well, the only downside seems to be that some details are a bit flat in places, which an AO map should hopefully fix. The shading on the edges turned out pretty well without having to add any unnecessary edge loops, except for one place (the leg C bracket).

Some small details have been changed from the high poly, so it isn't an exact match.

legwire.jpg

legnormal.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good. you may wanna get the low poly even lower. i still see a lot of detail that doesnt need to be part of the geometry.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I like the uniform detail on the model! :) great progress so far
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    depending on how close you're gonna see this piece, I would delete the smaller bolts and let the normal map take care of them.
  • torontoanimator
    A++ man, it looks a BIT repetitive, but still, good overall look
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If its not breaking the siliolet, it doesnt need to be modeled (not always the rule, but a good start).

All of the bolts, with the exception of that really big ones, do not need the caps at the bottom. The back end bots could be removed. The bolts at the back that are going in instead of out, can be removed and simplified to just those triangles. The bolts on the L near front, could be removed. The 4 bolts on the top surounding the big one, can be removed.

This is on the ground, and unless your presenting it in such a way that it needs such excesive detail, it still could be lowered polygon wise.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the low poly and temporary uvs. It clocks it at 18k tris, which is pretty expensive, but most of that is due to the design, so I'm willing to live with it. One of the most expensive areas was the perforated barrels, but I felt it was important enough to have modeled holes because the high poly bake looked awesome on it and it really helped define the look of the model.

Next step is uv layout, mudbox sculpted details, and the high poly bake. I haven't nailed down the texture size yet, I'm hoping to get it all onto a 2k. It has a lot of unique shells that can't be overlapped, but it also has a lot of pieces that are duplicated around the model, so I'm hoping it will work out pretty well.

lowpoly.jpg
    wire1.jpg
    wire2.jpg
    wire3.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    You can get this into a 2k map easily. You basically have everything in 1/4th's and can easily overlap. Great work on the high poly. I'd keep in mind where you sculpt as you may need to only sculpt one element of the weapon especially in areas of uv overlaps. Just be cautious of repetitive details. Nice work!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the normal map and AO today. Brought it into Marmoset as well as UDK to verify and everything looked great, so it's onto texturing.

Rendered in Marmoset with AO in the Diffuse and normal mapped.
    marmoset.jpg

AO
    ao.jpg

Normal Map
    normal.jpg
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    nice man. looking forward to the texture!
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    SICK! looking forward to the texture, the bake looks real nice!
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    That is some serious Ironmongery. Very cool!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    thats pretty high up there on one of the most insane unwraps i have ever seen.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    And right into the spank bank that goes.

18k tris...I'm ok with that, it looks like it's 18k. You don't see a stray poly on that thing, looks just like the high, and that is awesome. Can't wait for some color!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    thats pretty high up there on one of the most insane unwraps i have ever seen.

Haha thanks, I'm really proud of it. Took a couple tries to get it perfect, but on the final layout I had like 5-6 pieces that just wouldn't fit, but I refused to give up cause I was so close and spent like 30 mins tweaking and shifting stuff until they could finally squeak in and everything would have at least an 8 pixel spacing. One of the most complicated unwraps I've done.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice job mate!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Niiice! Also, that AO map looks like it could be used as a city map.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, some pretty nice unwraps. If it were me, I'd have made the lowpoly a TON simpler, just so i don't go insane on the unwrap, but you pulled it off.
    18k tri's is really high though, i don't think any game would sanely have this sort of prop at that tri-count (unless the entire game is about shooting one of those things), but it works as a show piece.