Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WC_NE_Drood.. WIP

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
hey all.. started a new WIP tonight.. had an itch to do something warcrafty.. more progress to come.. the figure is based off of one of the WC figurgines.. and quite a good one it is.. comments and crits welcome.. peace..

droodprogress01.jpg

Replies

• turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Would be cool to see a reference picture to compare your model to.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
  • jmiles
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    droodprogress03.jpg

droodprogress02.jpg

a little update
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    pretty cool stuff miles... keep working on it.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    upper деп armor needs to be scaled up)looks good so far
  • uneditablepoly
    Looking pretty good at this stage. What are you planning to do with this? Subd and sculpt or go full-Warcraft and finish a lowpoly and texture?
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    I'm going to keep the mesh low poly, and give him a good paint job.. i want to experiment with painting his normals and use the Nvidia filter.. but we'll see when I get there... and see if it could actually work for the model.. if it works against it.. perhaps just forget it
  • uneditablepoly
    Sounds like a good project! Can't wait to see it. I've always wanted to model a lowpoly in the style of WoW and texture it. Someday... lol
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    a little progress tonight

droodprogress05.jpg

droodprogress04.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Further progress on this toon. A weapon, pose and pedestal come next

droodprogress09.jpg
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    he's extremely... wide, most wow type characters are quite lean with just the armour bulking him up, night elves are especially lean as that's their racial make up, been kind of bothering me the entire way through :)

Nice texturing as well
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    face texturing looks good the rest is kind of repetitive too much brown.... hard to tell whats going on
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ Raider-- understandable.. the reason he is as bulky as he is, is due to the reference i'm using. On top of that, if you remember back in the days of Warcraft 3, Druid of the Claws were built like bears, very bulky and felt massive as you looked at them. Night Elves are typically slender, but this proportion was meant to take on a different perception of their race and discipline. Druid of the Claws were defensive protectors. I know there are areas I could flesh some details out w/ more geo to give him a better shape, but until then, I am going to stick w/ these proportions.

warcraftsamwise122c2780.jpg warcraftsamwise109c3673ir.jpg

@ Makecg-- yeah, I was afraid somebody was going to point that out.. my reference model is mostly brown, due to the leather and fur. I wanted to contrast some of that color out of it by throwing in green areas, like on the pieces of wood that are attached to his armor, and a little on his tabard. maybe more shadows would help.. or other colors.. the textures are turned to Flat view in Max.. so there's little calculated shadows going on.. i'll work on painting more contrast in
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Finished up the weapon tonight.. and i'm debating whether i want to create a small warcrafty environment, or just a pedestal.. whatchu guys think?

droodprogress11.jpg
  • undeadink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    product?productId=221003192&type=3&loc=en-GB

im assuming your going for more this guy not the normal night elf. if so its looking good but id like to see your texture with more break up with darker browns and desaturated on the gold its not really that bright. in a image i can find, also the horns need to bow more, and ears are to wide.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    is a Drood a cross between a Druid and a Dood?
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ Undeadink-- i'll definitely work on that. The current variations of brown are still too similar and kill the form.. as for the gold, i'll play around with it.. my intention was to keep to the bright colors of the WoW universe, but perhaps it is too bright.. and ya I've only really changed up the NE proportions a bit to match it a bit more to the reference i'm using:

http://www.dccomics.com/dcunlimited/wow/?dcd=8456

@ Hawken-- bhaha.. yus ;)
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Hey all.. some updates to the druid texture.. i think this contrasts out a bit better.. and i like the scheme.. i'm starting the scene base.. thought i should show some progress.. the base will be much much lower, but I started this to get a feel for how I want the island rocks to look. Looking rocky enough for you guys?

droodprogress12.jpg

envirosketch.jpg

droodprogress13.jpg
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    I sort of agree with DKK, sculpting the rocks seems a bit excessive for a low poly environment.

The Druid on the other hand turned out great. I think the staff could use a similar treatment as the Druid. Breaking up the colors a bit so it's not so "Brown".

Do you plan on posing him up and adding some effects like the WoW concept art you posted?
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ DKK-- i see your point.. and that's actually what my intentions were initially to keep everything low.. but I wanted to get a feel for how the rocks might look.. if for nothing else, i used some tools in ZB that i've never used before.. but ya.. keep it low poly

@ Deadpixl-- thanks Billers.. yeah.. you are right about the staff.. I actually changed up the nose, eyes and rune paint work (at the hoof) last night to match up w/ the deep blue of the droods clothing.. but as you pointed out.. not really working.. but I had it done up in the brighter saturated blue color as you can see from the older screen shots.. I'll keep playing with the colors then, until something works.. I actually have plans to do some particle work, and export to UDK to see how well it works with low poly scenes.. hopefully it will work out ok

@AW... roooaaaarrr-kin..
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    hawken wrote: »

No Drood is what they call Druid in wow....that is if you really dont know.

Awsome work!! I have been trying to get myself to this level of art but I havent used Mesh modeling yet...only Quads
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    oh and yes.. pose the char for the scene
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ Nitewalkr- thanks man.. it's really not that bad.. low poly, or lower i should say, is my favorite style of game art.. just think in the most simple form of your shapes... and 2 tris make a quad.. the best way to learn is from the 500 tris or less thread.. and 3DS Max users typically use Editable Poly--- Editable Mesh, not so much.. although for some people it may have it's uses.. I tend to stay away from it, except when i'm pulling out specific edges.. but it gets messy and is more if a waste of time...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hawken wrote: »

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdX8YwtLilw[/ame]

sorry for OT. Back to it!

Think the character texture overall seems a bit dark, you lose your details in it. It also seems a little uncharacteristic to do a normal mapped base when the character itself is not normal mapped.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    bahahahaha.. about peed myself...
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles wrote: »
    @ Nitewalkr- thanks man.. it's really not that bad.. low poly, or lower i should say, is my favorite style of game art.. just think in the most simple form of your shapes... and 2 tris make a quad.. the best way to learn is from the 500 tris or less thread.. and 3DS Max users typically use Editable Poly--- Editable Mesh, not so much.. although for some people it may have it's uses.. I tend to stay away from it, except when i'm pulling out specific edges.. but it gets messy and is more if a waste of time...

Yes 2 trias make a quad is how Mesh works. I do Editable poly....This one time I tried to make a statue out of Editable Mesh and completely screwed up when I was trying to round the shape of arms to join hands togather in front (simple concept..."praying")

But I watch Warhammer online podcast and they use the same procedure you used, to create their characters. So I will definately keep on hitting at it until I understand how Mesh Geometry works since it seems essential to RPG style characters.

EDIT: Are you talking about staying away from Quads? Plane modeling comes when you wish to be precise about your model. Like if you are making a high poly model for your animation, not for games.

Anyways, again nice work. I believe you have yet to make the scene (environment with this character). Cant wait to see it. :) Keep up the good work.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    oh ya.. absolutely.. when ur doing character animations.. stick to quads.. .. i'm only speaking in terms of low poly characters, triangles are important.. where it is a good practice to keep things in quads.. sometimes they're not needed so much in low polys. just to give yourself enough edge loops for parts that bend..oh and what i meant to say was that I typically stay away from the Editable Mesh modifier-- a lot of the tools, if not used properly, will make your mesh messy.. at least in my experience...
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya it does, but once you understand how it works for low poly it shouldnt fear you as such. By looking at your portfolio, I'd say you are good at both Editable poly and Editable mesh. Though, your experience is correct. =)

anyways, any plans on testing this out for a game? Or you are going to finish this thread with Environment display.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Environment display more than likely.. I have to rig and pose the character yet.. I will export it all to unreal and create some emissive effects for a few of the materials. Add particles, lights, my own skydome, maybe add some fog, and perhaps shoot a vid.. I'll definitely have to play with the final lighting since I dont know how Unreal will effect the non-normal mapped materials.. may look bad or good.. but we'll just have to see when I get there
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I should start practicing low poly characters (in Editable mesh mode) and make high poly doodle characters until I figure it out.

Some how I dont side with UDK, even though it is a very well known game engine...I dont know why (its tutorials are impressive too!!)

Anyways, I wish you good luck with this project. I'll look forward to this thread's updates for sure.

EDIT: Also you should look in to Gamebryo. Its what RPG game programmers (including Warhammer Online) used for their games....just a suggestion with no pressure at all.
  • undeadink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks better then WOW's textures their textures are shit i really dont know why some many ppl love their crap.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ Nitewalkr-- thanks man, I really appreciate your comments. Good luck w/ your own low poly endeavors.. I'll look out for your work :).. I'll look into Gamebryo too.. as an engine that would support an MMO style game would probably work better for what I need my art to do.

@ Undeadink-- thanks man.. haha.. I'll tell ya what.. I like WoWs textures a lot more now for Wrath, than I do w/ original WoW and even BC.. The low res textures are pretty muddy compared to some of the crisper textures, such as armor sets, like they have now.. I still really love WoWs art style.. and hopefully this will turn some heads at Blizzard once I send them a resume and portfolio.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Actually thats not a bad idea. You have pretty much everything that is required to get in to Activision-Blizzard as 3d character artist (saw job position available on their site) you should really look in to that also! :)

Thanks, I'll be posting my stuff when I am completely satisfied with it. For now, any stuff that I'll present will be presented in the thread I made in Techtalk. I am still trying to figure out the races (drawing characters traditionally) for the game project that I have long planned for, to see if I have the ability to do such thing.

Thanks for the discussion though.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    undeadink wrote: »
    looks better then WOW's textures their textures are shit i really dont know why some many ppl love their crap.

lol....

blizzard's texture artists are some of the best in the world. since they use such low poly counts and no normal maps, they HAVE to texture well, and they definitely do.

1_25_03_09_2_12_21.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek wrote: »
    lol....

blizzard's texture artists are some of the best in the world. since they use such low poly counts and no normal maps, they HAVE to texture well, and they definitely do.

1_25_03_09_2_12_21.jpg

Actually they are not very good anymore. You can see it by looking at their T9 for mage, lock and (there was another class had the same T9) differentiated by colours. They were also planning on making T9 same for paladin and deathknight, which was a good joke imo.

Also if you are flying over Ice Crown you can tell that it isnt original and it had been ripped off from Lord of the rings (and I mean litrally). (only difference is its blueish) and if you fly over the snow you can see one image had been copied and pasted in tiles over and over.

how does that make you a good artist again?
  • undeadink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek wrote: »
    lol....

? for ever one good texture they might have, they have about 50 bad ones, even the main chars have seems all over them.

first like 5 sec i was in the game seems everywhere, on buildings, and mounts, even main chars.

seems.jpg

i enjoy WOW, i like Blizzard but i'm not going to give props to a company for these problems when people come down really hard on individuals models posted here.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah tell me a game that has 0 issues with textures (distortion or seams) and I bet you we could find something.
  • undeadink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guess its a Just My opinion that they are not that great.

DKK- i agree with you but i always feel that textures and a good uv layout go hand and hand, because if its all bad uv issues someone would create some horrible textures and be like "oh just uv issues"

"All those things you listed there are minor nit picks the majority of which are on small sections that will be covered up by something else, or never noticed by the player."

all the shots i took were not covered by any means. i didnt sneak into a corner and take a screen. two are off a player char, two are off a mount standing still, with the others being a few buildings.

also Blizzard shouldn't offer a FP view if they want to rely on everything being seen from a far back 3rd person view.

ZavD- thats not the point, the point is alot of people think Blizzard cant make improvements to their work.

this is just my opinion like i said.

I actually enjoy your work Jmiles, still would work on the horns a little but other then that great work.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WoW is awesome, Blizzard is awesome NUFF SAID

now let jmiles have his thread and stop discussing WoW topics

btw undeadink I have to disagree with you WoW textures are some of the best i've seen in low poly artwork. lol :poly142:
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    seams etc aren't what we are discussing, we are discussing the quality of the hand painted textures, which is exquisite. as far as seams go, ya it sucks, as does the distortion, but it is acceptable given the enormous world and limits they set for themselves. distortion with low polygon counts is inevitable, and their UV maps are clearly optimized for texture space over distortion.

here are the two maps for the image i linked previously
    facelessgeneral1.png
    facelessgeneral2.png

pretty awesome craftsmanship
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makecg wrote: »
    WoW is awesome, Blizzard is awesome NUFF SAID

now let jmiles have his thread and stop discussing WoW topics

btw undeadink I have to disagree with you WoW textures are some of the best i've seen in low poly artwork. lol :poly142:

Denial to the last breath!....lol:poly142:. you mean to say that people who handcraft texture for the lowpoly model and fail to implement it perfectly, but will present their work anyways, are the best artist? Wow texture is neither crap nor the best in low poly, they are just OK. The only reason you all disagreed is because Blizzard makes awsome cinamatics, and they happen to drill one "used" concept in the game market over and over until market got used to it.

Anyways, lets get back to the topic
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    haha.. it's all good guys..

@ DDK.. sorry buddy.. no scrupple ;P not yet at least..

@ Ralusek.. yeah man I really admire WoW texture artists to really stuff up the UV space well.. I mean there is all but NO room in there for wasted space.. yeah, there is a bit of stretching that is prominent, but like it was stated before.. it's not usually noticed unless you're really looking for it..

Some of the worst textures i've seen in game are in the major cities.. not so much that they are painted bad, because they hold the WoW style true, but because they scale up the textures so bad to make them modulate or repeat all over the place.. perhaps it's because you don't want to be creating too many textures to make the game run slow, but i mean..really.. if your poly counts in general are low-- for everything, if you can cull out areas of the HUGE world in real time, I think you could at least properly conventionalize your world space size to texture ratio and at least size them to fit right.. pet peeve rant over..
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    ... perhaps we see how they do w/ SC2 and Diablo 3.. ;P
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Actually they are not very good anymore. You can see it by looking at their T9 for mage, lock and (there was another class had the same T9) differentiated by colours. They were also planning on making T9 same for paladin and deathknight, which was a good joke imo.

Also if you are flying over Ice Crown you can tell that it isnt original and it had been ripped off from Lord of the rings (and I mean litrally). (only difference is its blueish) and if you fly over the snow you can see one image had been copied and pasted in tiles over and over.

how does that make you a good artist again?

You are pretty much right about that man.. what is actually pretty sad is that blizz takes so much credit for StarCraft.. when Warhammer 40k was WAAAAAAAAY before them.. WH40k lore is way deeper, the game play is deeper (par for being a table top, but the DoW games are still very kickass).. and the artwork is 1000x better.. imo of course... really dont know if i'm going to pick up SC2-- cause i'd rather lose my soul to the 40k MMO that is in the works ;P.. or in the mean time.. Diablo 3
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya diablo 3 looks nice =)

Starcraft was one of my favorite games when it came out. I will get both.

I played WoW when it first came out but quit cause It got all easy-mode :(
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Blocked out most of the Enviro tonight.. still a little to go yet.. but I will build more props as needed.. i.e. grass planes, plant life decoration, and so on.. crits, comments, or suggestions appreciated

droodprogress14.jpg

droodprogress15.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Agreed Makecg...
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! And you are posting this right before the lunar fest :D

I'll wait for you to texture this out before giving this anything, following your statement that there is much to be done here.

EDIT: If you are improving the wow models than this is a good piece so far. If you are just following the reference...there are marely steps leading in to the moonwell....well its kinda random model for every moon well, some have leading path (not sure if everyone of them does)

So you have to extend the walls a bit more. Also lights are random and the ones that you are following the ref from are very simple than yours.

nflemp.jpg

Just a suggustion, only if you are following the ref and not improvizing.

EDIT2: Which moonwell ref are you following?