Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hell Spawn [WIP] - Crit it up!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Gallows polycounter lvl 9
Newest update- Post #8

Alright, so I took a break from the sculpture I'm working on and am trying to better myself as a 3D artist. I got really inspired while checking out some of the winners from the comicon challenge posted on GameArtisan, and I found these very awesome modeling sheets. Anyway, what do you guys think so far?

Keep in mind, this is one of my very first character models, any advice would be great. About an hour and a half of work. With facebook distractions...:poly108:

Flats, yo.
wip1.png?t=1263302557

Wires
wip2.png?t=1263302548

Perspective
wip3.png?t=1263302549

Anyway guys, whatcho thinkin!

Also, reference! By the wonderful Marc Brunet

39-game-concept-art-3330-1218686341-image.jpg

Replies

• iWeReZ
    The concept has beefed uppper traps, whereas yours is flat. and maybe make the head a bit bigger, other then that youre on track.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    A great start definitely!
    Whats your plan for this guy though, are you planning on going low res or getting it into zbrush/mudbox and o the next-gen (cureent-gen or whatever) route?
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice start! but better to make his head bigger.
    also, could you please fix url to concept art creater's page, please.
    keep on!
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed! Sorry about that, also thanks guys a ton. Starting back up on him right now.

@butt_sahib: I'm going to keep one basic low-res like this to see how well I can get a texture to look low res, and also another higher resolution and do normal map bakes and all that sweet stuff. So hopefully I make it better. Back to work!
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Yep, good start, If you are considering importing this into zbrush, try to keep the quad as square and even as possible. As a character artist, it is important to not get afraid of zbrush and start learning the program inside out. I would suggest making a basic low res in max (like the one you have) and learn to sculpt inside zbrush.
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm loving the feedback.

I made the head a bit bigger as per requested and made those traps conform to the concept rather than what I thought looked alright. I'm much happier with it now. Anyway, here's a tiny little update. Still need to fix the hands a bit, just work on my topology flow. But other than that, I think I'm going to connect it up, line up some muscles. And drop him into Zbrush.

@wizo- You just saved my life by reminding me about the good old quad law, especially with Zbrush.

@Skullburn- It's just one of those concepts that makes everything in your mind want to see it in 3D. You should check out his work!

Anyway, tl;dr here's an update!

wip4.png?t=1263379072
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    He he, cool stuff.
    Are you gonna sculpt this mutha?
    You picked a teriffic concept to work on, lookin good thus far.

Cheers
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I really appreciate the huge bump. I suppose I could go back to work on this but I never really progressed on it further because I saw a really awesome sculpt of the same guy on the WAYWO thread. But thanks Kanga, you kinda relived my inspiration. I'll post some updates this weekend.