Home General Discussion

Spiderman 4 scrapped, Toby and Raimi no more

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1399369/

Kinda of a suprize to me... although Spider-man 3 sucked, I was sort of looking forward to see what the 4th one might bring... oh well..

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Evil Dead 4 tiem nao?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yay, anymore than 3 in a row is too much
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, saw this on IMDB. Caught me by surprise. Not that I liked the Spider Man movies but still.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I can't believe they're doing a fucking reboot already. How many goddamn origin stories do I have to sit through for crying out loud.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    aesir wrote: »
    I can't believe they're doing a fucking reboot already. How many goddamn origin stories do I have to sit through for crying out loud.

QFT
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    RANT/
    damn that's stupid. take winning combination of actor's, director, story and characters, reboot coz the director won't hit an arbitrary date(and expect that movie goers will go see it anyways).
    I mean spiderman 1 and 2 were alright and 3 was bearable but what do i know or care about a new reboot of spiderman. newer is not always better(superman returns anyone).
    getting really fed up with hollywood recycling all sorts of stuff instead of trying something new.
    /END RANT

thank god games are so new that this bs isn't quite so rampant (yes i know there are exceptions but still)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well that means warcraft time.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 was pretty decent, held back only by the fact it HAD to be the origin story, 2 i thought was pretty fuckign badass, funny evil dead homage scene, perfect casting, great special effects on octoman super cool loved it.

3 was one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Not only did it have retardedly stupid i'm bad emo spiderman scenes, but they cast 250 pound body builder eddie brock with 90 pound that seventies show kid, THE ONLY THING i liked about the movie was ron howards daughter, EVERYTHING ELSE is vetoed.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I can't even remember the third movie.

this is good news.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They were all cheesy crap movies!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yup , pretty piss poor movies. they made spidernan a real wuss
    first one was the best one though
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I don't blame him for not wanting Spiderman 4 to be the same kind of abortion 3 was. Better not to rush it and stuff so much in again, or release it at all, it seems. It's disappointing that 3 even exists because the series should have continued getting better each iteration. not worse, especially with the amount of time they have always had between them. I am not all too disappointed, it would have been hard to recover from 3 without a reboot. At least this way I don't have to care about it ruining something that was good.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    hawken wrote: »
    I can't even remember the third movie.

i genuinely forgot what had happened before when i was only two thirds of the way through. Utterly chronic, stunk to high heaven of contractual obligation and zero interest from the director. If there's going to be another one, a whole new crew can only be a good thing

"Reboot" doesn't necessarily mean another origin story though - it could just as easily be a rethink of style, tone, target audience, whatever.

Hell, just ditching that simpering cast (especially that tranquilised ginger one who played his sleepy girlfriend) and getting some actors who don't make you deeply hate the characters would be enough of a reboot for me. Yay, a hero i actually want to triumph.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no more kirsten dunst? o_O
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    maybe it'll be good now.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    1 was really good despite Dunst and the unfortunate post 9-11 NYC unity scene.
    2 was good except for rehashing getting his powers back, Dunst and the unfortunate 'We won't tell' scene.
    3 was crappy, Dunst, emo douche Parker, Eddie Brock JR (I refuse to believe that was the real Venom) and his photoshooping, JJJ was made into a comedic fool, the dance scene that stretched beyond the limits of decency and funny.
    Sandman was glorious in it though.

The way MJ was written in these movies was TERRIBLE. I never did understand why Parker liked her enough to risk his life, other than she was the girl next door. She treated him like utter shite and had no redeeming qualities.

Maybe they will do an Ultimate take on Spidey this time.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Probably trying to fit everything into the new avenger movie.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I'm hoping if they do a reboot they go with an Incredible Hulk intro. 2 Minute montage of how he got his powers and just jump right into the movie. Will this happen? Probably not.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    REBOOT!?!?!?!?!??!
    WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i'm glad spidey 4 is out the window, but REBOOT!?! SERIOUSLY!?!
    where's my gosh damn crowbar... the shit's going to turn into smallville... you just watch and bow your head in shame and embarrassment.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Entity wrote: »
    Probably trying to fit everything into the new avenger movie.
    the spiderman movie license is owned by sony, so I doubt that is going to happen... YES, there is probably a reason why the ps3 and spiderman fonts are the same :p
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    oh ye3ah forgot about sandman. he was awesome
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie wrote: »
    the spiderman movie license is owned by sony, so I doubt that is going to happen... YES, there is probably a reason why the ps3 and spiderman fonts are the same :p

oh snap I forgot about that.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    snemmy wrote: »

The way MJ was written in these movies was TERRIBLE. I never did understand why Parker liked her enough to risk his life, other than she was the girl next door. She treated him like utter shite and had no redeeming qualities.

when she finally got to go to sleep (rather than just floating around in that half-awake insomniac state), spidey was going to sneak in and have his way with her. They were saving it up for 4.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw an article a couple days ago that said Raimi wanted to do a film about the Vulture and Sony wanted to add another villian and romantic subplot with Blackcat. So studio interference killed Spiderman.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »
    So studio interference killed Spiderman.

It killed Spiderman 3 too. Sony wanted to pack so many things into that movie, supposedly because that was to be the final Spiderman movie. Raimi hated the decision, but had to do it anyway. You can see how much the movie suffered, and I can't blame Raimi for calling it quits with this one :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe this will free up Tobi to get Robotech off the ground. :)
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I knew this was coming. There were some MAJOR differences between Raimi and the studio bosses. The studio bosses want Raimi to ditch the Vulture and have yet again a two villain deal like in Spiderman 3 which totally sucked. Now thanks to the greedy studio morons we have no movie.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Probably trying to fit everything into the new avenger movie

I think this might be true. Though Sony owns the Some of the Contract of spiderman, Marvel is now owned by Disney so there is some major Barganing power, So with a new reboot there is also a rewrite of contracts. I would bet that in those contracts is something about allowing all characters within this spiderman reboot to have appearances in the Connected Filmverse that marvel is trying to make with Hulk and Ironman. Pure speculation though.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    but spidey wasnt an original avenger
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    b1ll wrote: »
    but spidey wasnt an original avenger

but he's still an important part of the world they inhabit.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    From what I understand, Sony was insisting that Spiderman 4 be shot/produced for 3D. But the director and the crew were all unfamiliar with shooting 3D films, and adapting to the necessary staff and equipment would have tacked on another 6 months to production. Apparently Sony wasn't willing to bend on the 3D issuem, and Raimi wasn't looking to spend an additional 6 months on the film. So he walked and now the movie isn't happening.

After the mistake that the 3rd film was, I'm not really upset by this. The Spiderman franchise did well through the second installment, but then it started getting hit bad by Batman-itis. This is an affliction where too many characters are crow-barred into a story, preventing any one of them from being developed properly. As should be obvious by now, the real star of any comic-book movie is the villain, not the hero. Spiderman 1 wasn't good because of Toby McGuire, it was good because Willem Dafoe seriously delivered on the Green Goblin. (despite the piss-poor costume they put him in) Spiderman 2 wasn't good because of the crappy romantic relationship Peter Parker struggled with, or the emotional hang-ups that caused him to lose his powers. No, it was good because Alfred Molina's take on Doctor Octopus was so solid. (and because of the interesting direction that the writing took his character in)

If Spiderman 3 had dropped Venom entirely, and just focused on Sandman instead, 80% of the film's problems would have been solved. Squeezing in Venom's backstory, as well as the introduction of the black suit, and Spiderman's relationship to it, hamstrung the film. Since Spiderman was the common link for all of the various sub-plots, he became the focus of the film by necessity. No matter how much they tried to explore the villains, they always had to come back to Spiderman to tie everything together.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    e-freak wrote: »

finally!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha, I think it's funny how pissed some of you are getting :P. But yeah, eitherway it's kinda B/S.
  • cowboyorange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /agree spiderman 3 sucked and you all know it. Just like T3 its over so stop crying.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I remember walking out of the cinema at the end of Spiderman and being greatly disappointed and was dragged kicking and screaming to see Spiderman 2 (which was considerably worse in my opinion). I haven't bothered with the third so I'm not concerned they aren't making a fourth.

If ultimately a reboot is made, here's hoping it's actually half decent to watch.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    If Spiderman 3 had dropped Sandman entirely, and just focused on Venom instead, 80% of the film's problems would have been solved.

Fixed that for ya. Also, Eric Foreman as Venom was a megafail.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    You mean dropped Sandman and Venom and focused on Harry Osborne who they had been building as a major villian for three movies then just hit him on the head until he became a stoner five minutes into the third film and killed him in the last five.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Venom is an interesting character. But his back story is quite convoluted. Even the minimal explanation given in Spiderman 3 was stretching it. If they had really wanted to introduce Venom into the series, it would have been far more effective to introduce the black suit in the film, and then maybe have a quick introduction of Eddie Brock. They could have then incorporated Peter Parker's desire to rid himself of the black suit into his conflict with Sandman. Then the introduction of Venom would have been saved for the fourth film.

In the third film, they had plenty of opportunity to use Sandman as a relevant character. They found a good actor to play him, and that REALLY looked the part. They gave the character a decent set-up, with a family he was trying to support through illicit means. And then they screwed the whole thing over by ret-conning Sandman into Ben Parker's murder. They couldn't have picked a worse direction to take it in. And the whole reason they did it was because they needed to rush Spiderman's plunge into emo-ville. They could have used Sandman's back story to build sympathy for the character, and to explore Spiderman's conflict over trying to stop a criminal who was committing crime in order to help someone in need.

Frankly, I think they tapped Harry Osbourne out in the second film. Unless they were willing to commit to his villainy in the third film, they should have toned down his role considerably. A better way to portray him in the third film would have been to show him only as a side-story, focusing on his rise to power in the corporation his father had founded. (helped along by his use of the drug his father developed)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everything you just wrote, Richard.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    If Spiderman 3 had dropped Venom entirely, and just focused on Sandman instead, 80% of the film's problems would have been solved.

Venom needed to be the sole villain. he is spidermans arch nemesis and far and away one of the most important stories to tell, you can't dredge that up in the middle of a harry osborn/sandman/gwen stacy story.. each one of those were their own arcs in the comics for a reason. I was so excited when I heard that he was going to be in the 3rd movie.... never have I been let down more in my entire life - and unfortunately it made more than both 1 and 2. I'm glad they killed the fourth one instead of ruining something that could be great.

On the side of a potential avenger tie in - he wasn't an original avenger, but then again they are planning on having the avengers released in 2012.. Possibility of some web swinging antics in the sequal? I could see that... and please please PLEASE make him a wise cracking sarcastic spiderman.
  • Cyrael
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    e-freak wrote: »

She looks like a wide faced troll to me
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    You are!

Runs away...:)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    She looks like a wide faced troll to me

Eh, she's not to bad looking, but she doesn't fit the Mary Jane character at all. She always came off as a bad impersonation or a generic version, Wal-mart brand Mary Jane.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    3 was the worst movie ever made, so I am glad this is happening. Bring on Jake Gyllenhal!
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bring on Jake Gyllenhal!

I just puked a little bit.

Hated 3, glad a 4th one isn't coming anytime soon. Although I was really looking toward carrot top playing as Cletus Kasady/Carnage...:poly142:
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sicsided wrote: »
    I just puked a little bit.

Hated 3, glad a 4th one isn't coming anytime soon. Although I was really looking toward carrot top playing as Cletus Kasady/Carnage...:poly142:

That would be bizarre, but in an awesome way :D especially with his new buffed up physique.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    128676027329078533.jpg

I wanted to see the lizard finally appear.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    If this does lead to a reboot it needs to join the character in media res of his superhero life. The best part of The Dark Knight was that it didn't beat you over the head with Batman's backstory or assume you saw the first film, it just kept the continuity and emphasized it's characters as absolutes (going as far as to have no origin story for it's main antagonist, the Joker is just a goddamn psychopath. We don't need to know why).
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I must be the only person who liked all the movies.