Home General Discussion

So yeah.....lego mmo

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
Ok I loved lego growing up.....but is anyone else not extremely impressed with the released photos so far?

I mean I'll let you guys judge. I know some people here are working on that project, So is this all REALLY early work? Or is this the direction thats pretty concrete right now?

http://kotaku.com/5445166/lego-universe-screenshots-its-in-the-game/gallery/

(I did a test for these guys early last year and Im looking at the tree I did versus the ones in these screens and I dont get how I didnt qualify now)

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool to me, I heard the majority of the polygon budget is spent on the bricks
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that what it is? I dunno maybe I think brighter colors with lego, but the env's seem rather flat right now? Im hoping that more things can be filled up more like the lego star wars or any of the lego series style games (they were more open areas but they filled more full?

how much is being dumped into the bricks //building block stuff?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Looks cool to me, I heard the majority of the polygon budget is spent on the bricks

zing!

ill probably try this game.. lol. lego was my childhood! and the real lego! not the lego they have out now... if you dont know what im talking about, go to toys r' us and check out the lego section.. its all like pre-made pieces that arent just blocks. they are all smooth and crap. its crap!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Really curious about that one. So much potential, just for the brick building engine alone actually!! The current lego creator app isnt that great so I am hoping for that one!!!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    zing!

ill probably try this game.. lol. lego was my childhood! and the real lego! not the lego they have out now... if you dont know what im talking about, go to toys r' us and check out the lego section.. its all like pre-made pieces that arent just blocks. they are all smooth and crap. its crap!

Hah, it wasn't meant as a zing! here's a clip of marketing-speak
    "just making a sixteen-stud virtual LEGO brick requires twice as many three-dimensional surfaces, or polygons, as a World of Warcraft character, thanks to all its knobs, divots and underside tubes"

and yeah, I really miss the old school space set.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I mean if the player experience is built on "building things" I think that they should show more of that off. I mean legos being pre built with some intresting backgrounds etc like the lego video game series can be made really simple and still keep polycount low enough for atual lego pieces. to be built etc.

I mean maybe you have like a lego "workstation" area where you have a simple room that you can build whatever you want and then use that in game later compiled as a simple 3D mesh based on your primitiave stacks (Think like zbrush decimation tool based on a sillouette of a object)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    really excited for this game like pior said, it has SO much potential. I really hope it lives up to it because I can see myself playing.

and sef the first thing I thought of when I saw the screens was 'how did he NOT pass the art test?'
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    pfftt... fack this lego crap.

Mega Bloks is where it's really at!

mega-bloks.jpg

fack my life...
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not much of a lego guy, but this game is exactly how I imagine a lego MMO would look.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so... anyone want to get some bricks together and make a lego deathstar?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'll definitely be trying this out... a couple years ago there was a multiplayer lego sandbox that was ridiculously fun, despite it's limitiations. I'm hoping this captures that and builds off it.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone ever play Blockland? I highly recommend it for LAN, basically a Lego fps where you can build a huge destructible battle arena, out of "Lego like blocks" of course.
    Brilliant.
    So far, looking forward to this game, it being more child oriented should effectively castrate the fake dong market (Second life, anyone?) and make the game actually fun.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with seforin about the lack of detail in the levels ( they look horrible to tell you the truth )

I think the games visual style needs some work but the ideas behind this game are amazing, ill be sure to pick it up once its out since i was really into Lego when i was a child.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    it's Fun.....I hope I havnt said too much
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    really excited for this game like pior said, it has SO much potential. I really hope it lives up to it because I can see myself playing.

and sef the first thing I thought of when I saw the screens was 'how did he NOT pass the art test?'

Yeah man the test was extremely veg' back then

it was something along the lines of

"make it however you want, weither its high poly sub D model or low poly etc..."

So I did some homework found out it was a lego mmo , looked into MMO specs and asked a few buddies I had back at warhammer online and WOW what specs are average and I did my test based on that.

I had originally got some feedback from them saying it was good but it needed more shadows etc..I then re vertex painted and retextured it darker within 2-3 hours of that being told to me and then never heard from them again. Even after a follow up email as well..

Oh well not to dig a grave of woes deeper I just hope the game lives to higher expectations since I like legos so much
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    adam wrote: »
    The trailer is fucking epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPpm9H0wTzY

lol that was pretty awesome.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    lol that was pretty awesome.

+5 It did look quite epic, I like the dark lego guys alot. Mech undead looking dudes look awesome. Matrix building car was a seller for me :p
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Communtiy Death Star?!

Fuck yes.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    My jaw just hit the floor after watching that trailer
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Fork aside, ( :P ) the dudes at ND look to be taking some pretty huge steps for what possible in an mmo.
    I wonder if a whole generation of kids, (plus old kids), might be a larger demographic than the wow player base.

might there finally be a wow killer?
    (probably not, but here`s to getting my hopes up)

Low odor- you photo bucket is broke :P
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Haha, if this killed WoW I'd be in awe. Honestly though, I've always loved the lego games, I hope this one revisits a lot of the universes created by them over the years. Also I can't wait to see what easter eggs they put in it. The developer's seem fairly new so this could be extremely promising.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Haha that trailer was awesome!
    hope they get some shadows in the game? wait i see round blobs under some characters now... I will be following it :) mostly because of the trailer.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I've never played any of the other Lego games, but if the actual game is half as good as that trailer makes out, I'll definitely be playing this. The ninjas bit was awesome, and what a way to open the trailer. Fantastic.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Only MMO i'd ever consider playing I think.
    Too bad it really doesn't look good. They could've taken the shaders way further, it really wouldn't be that hard to get the look closer to the trailer. Unless they really, really need to watch out for their performance...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ces-10-lego-universe/60648 <-- how you build stuff in lego universe, a bit further in
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well the building was exactly what I figured it to be, taking a high rez mesh, rebaking it to a simple lod (puting a AO/light map on it was intresting to hear though) and placing it in your "special zone"

Yea so I say we build lego death star as well....

I wonder who builds the 1st lego penis :p
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lego is the spark that lit my imagintion back in the days.
    I think ill keep it that way.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha and now after watching the trailer i kinda want it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    The trailer is fucking epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPpm9H0wTzY
    I would love to play it at cinematic res but the actual in game screens they show are a lot lower =/
    Maybe it's because its still in Alpha/Beta? If they can put together an in game trailer that is that awesome they'll have me. But I'm a little worried about bait and switch...

Walk through footage from CES:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/game/lego-universe/4954
    Looks a little better than the screens they showed off on Kotaku, but still not cinematic awesome. Also sounds... kind of cool but very very very casual.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Yeh, now Meh...
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been following netdevils progress on this project since the very beginning, and from what I have seen it is coming along very nicely. Almost even made it on the team to work on it. Still wish I had, but ohwell.. Either way I await their release of this game. I hope they have more luck with it then they did auto assault.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah...I might play this...

its not like I like legos or anything....

IMG_0794.jpg

Seriously though at first I thought this game was just gunna be something online where you could build stuff and chat with friends, kinda like Second Life or whatever, but once I saw the trailer I realized its much more epic than I ever thought! I was looking into working at Netdevil back when they were hiring because we were considering relocating, but it didnt work out. I did read that they had something like 4 tons of legos all sorted into bins at their studio...that would have been really sweet.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Ok. So there's always one.

Trailer? That didn't seem Lego like to me. Now given, Ive never played any of the lego games.

-WTF? Lego's spontaneously coming into existence?
    -Epic War? Does it always have to be a war? Why cant we like "build" man. (hippie peace sign)
    -I was thinking more second life, until saw trailer.
    -Where the hell is Lego ground? Lego trees, Lego flowers. Grass is just a Lego plane in green. The environment they have chosen doesn't match, and would draw me out of the game.

Given, I'm not the audience for this. But I did play that network game a few years back with some polycounters where we built Lego like structures. It was fun for such a limited idea. I cant help but thinking from what I'm seeing here, they are trying to Mimic normal MMO WOW type of play versus again, a second life.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The universe fits the games they've made. They've always gone for a legos in the real (cartoon) world feel. A bit like taking your toys outside to play. Lego commercials (and every other kind of toy) have always had an elaborate set behind them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KW2oq2AeBM

They need to because the resolution of the bricks just doesn't lend itself well to creating all things. When one unit is as big as your players head... it just doesn't work.

It also works as a visual cue to the player as to what you can and can not interact with. See lego's you can probably build or destroy it. They do that with foliage in quite a few games. Real world foliage is a game area bounding box, lego foliage is destructible for coins.

As for the spontaneous lego generation I would imagine that is coming out of the persons inventory, much like other MMO's that don't have a visual 1:1 representation of items carried.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    "There is no leveling or experience in this game, its all about unlocking things, and its the items you equip that give you your abilities."

YES!

Finally an MMOG I might actually want to play. I can't stand the xp grinding that seems to be such an underpinning of so many mmorpgs.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It looks interesting, although quests, I was hoping it wouldnt have them.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    low odor wrote: »
    it's Fun.....I hope I havnt said too much

what he said.
  • sicsided
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    another ND-ian up in deh PC EH?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    ya, I've enjoyed the 30 minutes or so I've played. Sadly there are too many other things to do right now, so my legos are kind of getting left behind . . .
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Ok. So there's always one.

Trailer? That didn't seem Lego like to me. Now given, Ive never played any of the lego games.

-WTF? Lego's spontaneously coming into existence?
    -Epic War? Does it always have to be a war? Why cant we like "build" man. (hippie peace sign)
    -I was thinking more second life, until saw trailer.
    -Where the hell is Lego ground? Lego trees, Lego flowers. Grass is just a Lego plane in green. The environment they have chosen doesn't match, and would draw me out of the game.

Given, I'm not the audience for this. But I did play that network game a few years back with some polycounters where we built Lego like structures. It was fun for such a limited idea. I cant help but thinking from what I'm seeing here, they are trying to Mimic normal MMO WOW type of play versus again, a second life.

that network game has gotten some updates lately:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olYSN45lcpw&amp;feature=player_embedded[/ame]