Home General Discussion

Gunnar Optiks. Opinions?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
I was just reading a review on the GeekDad part of Wired.com of these glasses by a company called Gunnar Optiks that are designed for people who sit in front of PCs all day. I was wondering if anyone here had actually owned a pair and how they worked out for you.

The GeekDad article: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/01/gunnar-optiks/

Their website: http://www.gunnars.com/products/

If they would get rid of the headaches from flourescent lighting, I may down for getting a pair.

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Interesting...

I usually don't have much of a problem with eye strain or headaches from being at the pc most of my day, however these look like they might be a worthy investment down the road. It would be interesting to see if any studios cover the cost of these glasses for their employees as I'm sure they wouldn't be covered by insurance.

Hopefully they come out with some better frame designs though =\ I like to be cool and hip, but i don't really want to look like Bono.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, kinda pricey, so yeah, I'd definitely want to know if they work first. Kinda curious what to do if you wear prescription lenses though. I'm near-sighted, so it's probably not an issue for me.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! One of those days where I become aware of needing something I had no idea existed. Awesome that they have a non-colour tinted version.

I can very much see myself getting a pair of these.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman: I wear Rx glasses as well and they have an option for prescription ones. That's what I would be buying them for. I hate contacts and I am really not comfortable with corrective laser surgery yet, but I would be all down for these if they were to eliminate that dull, non-headache headache that occurs after being under the lights and in front of the monitor all day.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm definatly on the "for" section for these... and really its not too too expensive if you get a good return on it... meaning it eliminates those annoying headaches, help fight eye strain (does it?)

Bearkub, where does it say they can do Prescription as well, cause I'm in need of a new pair of glasses, and maybe these could be the next ones :)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ive never had monitor headaches - but then as i've been using it for so many years i may not even notice it :p

gonna check it out come monday, there's a retailer not far away
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    I get so many different kinds of headaches that I'm not sure if my computer is giving me one on top of it.

It may be nice to remove at least one of the causes, though.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    This is very interesting. I think spending 100 dollars on this is nothing if it really helps save your eyes in the long term.
    I'm a bit confused by the Crystal lenses though, they only have 3 models and none of them can be ordered with Crystal lenses yet? I'd get the Amber ones, but as a digital artist that might not be such a good idea? I don't want all my textures and renders to turn out too blueish because of these glasses...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    bearkub wrote: »
    notman: I wear Rx glasses as well and they have an option for prescription ones. That's what I would be buying them for. I hate contacts and I am really not comfortable with corrective laser surgery yet, but I would be all down for these if they were to eliminate that dull, non-headache headache that occurs after being under the lights and in front of the monitor all day.

My most common issue, is I feel REALLY tired after I've been on my computer too long. I won't notice it though, until I focus away from it. I'd be interested in seeing if they alleviate that somehow
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie:

On the Gunnar page, click "Retailers" at the top. On the Retailers page, on the right hand side, there is an "Enter your Location" area with a drop down at the bottom. By default, the drop-down says "All Locations" If you pull it down. there is a Prescription selection.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    hmm, these look interesting, although it sucks enough having to switch from regular glasses to sunglasses whenever I go in or out, so having a 3rd pair of glasses for when Im working would be really annoying, and I would want the cool lenses, but in the frame I already have, I dunno if they could do that. They should like hook up with lens crafters or something I know they offer special coatings on their stuff, this would be something I would buy if it came like that.

I saw a guy wearing them once though, I just thought they were glasses and he was just being different by having yellow lenses, but I guess they served a purpose, good to know.
  • yureg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's rather strange no one already posses and have tried a pair of these Gunnars. Also, can not find discussions in the Internet. Just ads. Is this company new on the market?