Home General Discussion

Nexus One. Thoughts?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
http://www.google.com/phone

So the Google phone's been unveiled, and some of those specs look ridiculous.

1Ghz processor
800x480 screen <-- WTF!

no multitouch <-- wtf

For those with current Android phones, how's the OS?

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Gonna wait till verizon offers this phone and then I will make the debate of this or a cheaper droid.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    price? I guess 800$ and a 3 year contract.

1 ghz processor tho, very impressive. Lets start making some games for it yes?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ...if it had a GPU it would be more powerful than the xbox. That's just odd to me.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the price is $530 without a contract. So $530 for just the phone, and you insert your own SIM card. I do like the fact that you have the option of just adding your own SIM card. In fact, it sounds like this thing is going to have lots of flexible options that I would like.

On the other hand, I'm really not looking for a smart phone at the moment, and I got an iPod Touch for Christmas. So it's going to be wait and see for me. I am pretty impressed by the technical specs. On paper, it looks like this thing could knock the iPhone into a cocked hat. 1GHz processor? 512 MB of RAM, as well as another 512MB MB of flash memory? (and SD expansion to 16GB) 800x480 screen, with a built-in camera that can take video at fairly high resolutions?
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive had my HTC hermes for 4 or 5 years now and its yet to die. as soon as it does, im getting this bad boy on verizon.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'd have bought a Nexus One from Tmobile ($180 w/2yr contract), but I bought a G1 this past spring, so I already signed for another 2yrs. Tmobile here in Seattle is really fantastic, no signal issues. I've been with them since I lived in Reno, going on about 6yrs now. No issues with them.

I love the OS a lot, but the G1 is just too slow. It's a great phone, but doesn't have a lot of memory, so things bog down pretty quick. It's battery life is also pretty crap if you do anything other than make the occasional phone call.

By comparison to the Nexus One's 1ghz cpu and memory (512mb flash, 512mb ram), the G1 has a puny 528mhz cpu and 256mb flash/192mb ram. Basically, the Nexus one is a bit more than twice as powerful.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you can change phone if you stay with the contract and prolong it to the 48 months (at least that's what t-mobile used to be in germany)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill look into that, freak. Thanks :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I've had a Droid for a couple of weeks now, really dig the OS, and all the updates Google's been and been planning on doing for it continue to make it kick the iPhone's ass.

The absolutely biggest thing for me currently is the touch-screen keyboard, and more importantly, Google's far superior word prediction. Now, with 2.1 out of the bag, they're upping the ante to include voice-to-text on every text field the OS supports. I text a lot more than I phone, and I seriously doubted I would use the touch-screen keyboard after my iPhone and iPod experiences, but I actually almost never slide the Droid open to use the keyboard now as it is.

The general functionality and feel of the Android OS has pretty much won me over on the whole 'smart phone' idea, and since I don't forsee Google resting on its laurels as they've pretty much taken an all but solid "we're competing with Apple" stance, it can only get better.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This phone looks great, just wish they had one with a slide out keyboard. I've got a G1 and I don't think I could go back to using just touch screen.

As for android itself, I think it's a solid OS and luckily there's a lot of development for it. I'm running a custom build with a lot of nice extras and it makes the G1 a very usable phone. I agree with Vassago about the battery life though, wish that was better lol.

Flaagan, would you recommend the droid. I think they are releasing it over here as the milestone, it looks like a spiritual successor to the G1 with the keyboard.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    its multi touch, its just the os isn't multi touch or any of the default apps.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I was looking at moving away from my iPhone over to one of these puppies. I just hate that the iPhone doesn't let you do any customisation what so ever unless you hack the shit out of it. And even then it's a pain in the ass.

What is the customisation like on one of these? If you can change your tones and create folders for photos on the phone itself, then I'll ditch the iPhone in a heart beat.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone have T-Mobile in the DFW area? I'm wondering how the service is ...

[Edit] Oh hell, coming to Verizon in Spring. I guess I'll sit on my 2-year upgrade discount until then and just stick with Verizon :)
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I am much more looking forward to the NVidia Tegra2 based tablet PCs which will be revealed at the CES in the next few days.

Oh and I have heard that the free navigation in Android2.1 is quite a nice bonus.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who needs something like this... seriously.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    saw a nexas one on the news this morning the phone numbers were characters from blade runner then they showed harrison ford in town promoting his new movie!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Android OS is great. I have the Motorola Droid and I will never go back to AT&T. I was on AT&T for almost 8 years and just switched to Verizon. HTC makes some amazing phones though, so this one should be a good one. If I get a hold of one, I'll post a review (I'm store manager of a Cell Phone store :P).
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan wrote: »
    I've had a Droid for a couple of weeks now, really dig the OS, and all the updates Google's been and been planning on doing for it continue to make it kick the iPhone's ass.

The absolutely biggest thing for me currently is the touch-screen keyboard, and more importantly, Google's far superior word prediction. Now, with 2.1 out of the bag, they're upping the ante to include voice-to-text on every text field the OS supports. I text a lot more than I phone, and I seriously doubted I would use the touch-screen keyboard after my iPhone and iPod experiences, but I actually almost never slide the Droid open to use the keyboard now as it is.

The general functionality and feel of the Android OS has pretty much won me over on the whole 'smart phone' idea, and since I don't forsee Google resting on its laurels as they've pretty much taken an all but solid "we're competing with Apple" stance, it can only get better.

all this
  • die_Kröte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only odd spec I've read about the Nexus one was on Slashdot claiming that "only 190 megabytes of its total 4.5 gigabytes of memory is allowed for storing apps." That seemed a bit odd to me...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The phone looks awesome, but I'm still not willing to pay so damn much money for a data plan. If they'd make data plans more reasonably priced, I'd definitely scoop one up.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    So, do you think this is the platform hinted by Epic as the other mobile one for UE3? This is the new goldrush for all those iphone developers out there (IMO).
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    So, do you think this is the platform hinted by Epic as the other mobile one for UE3? This is the new goldrush for all those iphone developers out there (IMO).

I don't think the nexus would make the best gaming platform. It lacks much in the way of buttons and doesnt have multitouch like the iphone. For now, iphone will probably remain the best gaming phone.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    I think the problem with the Android is putting the OS on all these different phones, thereby creating a huge variation in hardware, OS versions, custom firmwares and with different button interfaces. It creates a huge headache for app developers, especially games.. you set yourself up for buggy apps. I think thats why the iphone does so much better, because it's all under one developer.. hardware and software. Theres only incremental differences in speed with each iphone, so apps always run fine on any iphone and it's the same OS across all.

You see the same thing with console development vs. PC, with PC theres a huge disparity on OS and hardware compatibility where console it's 360 or PS3, thats it.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    die_Kröte wrote: »
    The only odd spec I've read about the Nexus one was on Slashdot claiming that "only 190 megabytes of its total 4.5 gigabytes of memory is allowed for storing apps." That seemed a bit odd to me...

I believe that's because the 2.1 Os is allowing apps and the like to be stored to the memory card instead of the limited internal memory.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlo_c wrote: »
    Flaagan, would you recommend the droid. I think they are releasing it over here as the milestone, it looks like a spiritual successor to the G1 with the keyboard.

Yes. I will say, thought, that after my experience with the touch screen so far, and their voice-to-text recognition capabilities, I'd look into the Nexus. Granted, there are plenty of random occasions where having an actual keyboard (as well as the directional / enter pad) can come in handy, so the Droid may be a better choice in that respect.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, as far as comparison goes, the Nexus One is pretty damn tip top in features and overall costs:

500x_nexus-one-total-cost-1.jpg
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice comparison sheet there. The Nexus would be much cooler if it was CDMA though :) Oh wait, then I couldn't browse the web and talk at the same time..... WHO THE HELL DOES THAT?!

Sorry, but does anyone else hate those AT&T commercials?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    a lot cheaper than the iphone and better service (AT&T is BAD, and t-mobile just got faster 3G)

Both apples and at&t commercials seem very smug and full of themselves, when at&t and apple are actually the scum of the Earth.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Oh wait, then I couldn't browse the web and talk at the same time..... WHO THE HELL DOES THAT?!

I was recently making that argument with some friends. Sure, it's possible, but who does it? And why? Can't watch Youtube with the phone up to your ear. Not exactly a deal breaker. Seems to be the ONLY gimp leg iPhone/AT&T has to stand on.

I'm signed up to get alerted when Verizon Nexus Ones are available. I'm not an any contract atm....using a shitty and broken StraightTalk phone (the worst customer service on the planet, for any service). Would be a nice upgrade.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    I was recently making that argument with some friends. Sure, it's possible, but who does it? And why? Can't watch Youtube with the phone up to your ear. Not exactly a deal breaker. Seems to be the ONLY gimp leg iPhone/AT&T has to stand on.

I'm signed up to get alerted when Verizon Nexus Ones are available. I'm not an any contract atm....using a shitty and broken StraightTalk phone (the worst customer service on the planet, for any service). Would be a nice upgrade.

Yes, and I'll be playing an online game on my droid, get a call, and go right back to my game like nothing ever happened. On my old AT&T Touch Diamond, if I got a call while on the EDGE network, bye bye game....
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »

Actually, it makes a good bit of sense to be able to do so. I was on a call recently with a family member about their vehicle, and needed to look up a part number for their car. I put my Droid on speakerphone, pulled up the web browser, found the info, and passed it along to them... and it was all rather quick too.

I find it amusing that AT&T called foul on the "map for that" ads, which just made them look worse in the end, and then goes and puts out an ad about their competition which is actually false. Verizon should sue their ass, I'd find it entertaining to say the least.