Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sprite based game project.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
Ok so im joining in as an artist for a web based sprite game. suposed to be top down fake 3d or what you may call it "change it after someone correct me"

Anyway first time doing this, and im trying to put together some kind of artbible, to present, not to sure about the resolutions and tech requirments yet.

artstyle also unsure, heard ragnarok coming up a few times, but other then that i dont know.

So im wondering if you could help me by mentioning some sprite based games that you like
artwise.

It may be wrong to post this in the Wip section but i hope to continue to post wips from the project here aswell.

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Do you mean Isometric?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah thanks that's the word.
  • Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So im wondering if you could help me by mentioning some sprite based games that you like
    artwise.

Ragnarok Online
    Braid
    Disgaea
    Gunbound
    Dungeon Fighter Online
    King of Fighters
    Odin Sphere
    Various sprite artists from the MUGEN fighter community...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you're going isometric, you could do much worse than checking out Bioware/Black Isle's pre-Neverwinter RPGs: Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale. Or either of the first two Fallout games. Or Jagged Alliance
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    If you're going isometric, you could do much worse than checking out Bioware/Black Isle's pre-Neverwinter RPGs: Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale. Or either of the first two Fallout games. Or Jagged Alliance

diablo is also noteworthy, but every single one of these features sprites made from 3d. So its not the source for isometric hand-drawn (if thats what your going for)

So those if you plan to model and make sprites from the models, or if you do plan to hand draw something isometric (hard) i think final fantasy tactics is a great example!
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    If you are going artwise and Isometrics, you should look in to warcraft 1 and 2, starcraft, C&C RedAlert1 and 2, C&C Tiberium Suns + Expension.

Also observe the following online mmorpgs on the following website:

http://us.91.com/

Others that are not on site are: Dragon Raja, Diablo 1.

Also the non Isometric ones.

FPS: Doom 1, 2 and Final, Hexen, Heretic, wolf 3d.
    2d environment: Super Mario, and Rayman, Sonic 1, 2, and 3.

I havent been in to the 2d environment much but for 2d sprite animation people use MS paint and draw even rectangles as frames around their character to animate it. Then they copy/paste it several times in one MS paint canvas to edit each frame accordingly. Than they copy each frame in to a new canvas and name it like "MySprite01, MySprite02, MySprite03...MySprite168," and so on. That is the process of making the sprite from one dot to one character to one scene in 2d Game Programming.

Further tools you need for sprites can be found on http://www.xna.com/

The compiler that you are required to install with directx SDK is called VisualStudio08 (express, assumingly)

http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

The language that is required to program games in xna wireframe is C#. If you are looking to program your game in C++ than I'd suggust you should buy the book called "Isometric game programming with directx 7.0 by Ernest Pazera." That teaches one how to program API Win32 and than 2d game.

Good luck

EDIT: Go to www.gamedev.net for help.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot guys, that will probably help me alot.

Also i don't think we are going the rendered 3d way. gonna do this the classic way, also been checking out older finalfantasy games and tacticts.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I'd take NiteWalkr's advice with a heapful of salt. If you're going the classic pixel art route, do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from MS Paint and use a proper pixel art package like GraphicsGale or ProMotion. Also, XNA's not really the best route to take, distribution-wise, since it's not fully self-sufficient: anyone who wants to run the app will require the entire XNA framework installed on their computer.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    @LoTekK: I told him what I knew and saw people doing in free time at college. Also XNA game studio (XNA framework) with C# language is the free and easy start with. Based on the fact that he is new and willing to START, I suggusted him.

I stopped programming in XNA due to " since it's not fully self-sufficient: anyone who wants to run the app will require the entire XNA framework installed on their computer."

your suggustion is more appropriate.

EDIT: To the OP: For further information, visit www.gamedev.net

Good luck