Home Technical Talk

Pixel Aspect Ratio vs. Liquify

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, my girlfriend is working on a project for film doing some paintings in photoshop. She's working with rectangular pixels for widescreen using Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction and all is working fine, except that the Liquify tool is not adjusting for the pixel aspect ratio. The image is being shown in square pixels and is distorted because of it, making liquify very hard to use.

So, does anyone know of a way to get liquify to display the corrected pixel aspect ratio, or a good workflow to get around it?

Working for film is not my forte, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

[edit]If anyone know of a best way to work around this I'd love to know, but for now she is doing a workaround by working at 120% width with pixel aspect ratio correction off, and then when she's finished sizing back down to 100% width. Seems like the easiest way to get around it to me. :) [/edit]

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe leave out info thats not needed next time, anyway

Tell that girlfriend that I think that I think that the way the core of PS works is that the distorted and rectangular pixels is just a visual way things are displayed within the GUI of PS. The core is just table or matrix manipulation and in all or most functions a developer expects pixels to be squares always. Tell her to go HD next time because distorted pixels are something of the past.
  • dgovil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    maybe leave out info thats not needed next time, anyway

Tell that girlfriend that I think that I think that the way the core of PS works is that the distorted and rectangular pixels is just a visual way things are displayed within the GUI of PS. The core is just table or matrix manipulation and in all or most functions a developer expects pixels to be squares always. Tell her to go HD next time because distorted pixels are something of the past.

HD can be rectangular as well and usually is unless you have a true HD camera.

Anyway, easiest fix I say would be to re export the images out as square pixels in the correct aspect ratio. It's easy if she sets up an action and does a batch on a folder.