Home Technical Talk

Capturing flash video from screen?

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
I know there are a few video capture things out there, and codecs too for recording applications for video tutorials, but can anyone recommend anything for recording flash to video? Say you've got a game in flash you want to demonstrate gameplay from and record video of it in action.

I have fraps which is brilliant for actual applications, but as yet it doesn't support recording from browser based flash apps.

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I use realplayer to record flash from the web http://uk.real.com/realplayer/
  • TheBat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheBat polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not sure, but something like Camstudio might work as well! It is free as well, and i'm quite pleased with the results for something that is free.

http://camstudio.org/
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks guys - already got realplayer , but that only seems to work with FLV video and not 'live' flash - IE MovieClips etc.

Will try camstudio
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Realplayer is like Quicktime or Acrobat Reader, you don't want to install that bloat-, toolbar- or adware if there is already something better and opensource/ free out there. People having those installed are usually less informed about tools out there and usually the ones that don't notice the added toolbars in their browsers or slow system because of some autostart modifications.

Camstudio does a pretty good job for me so thats all I use recently. There used to be however a flash specific tool called swf2avi that captures 100% all of the frames of the video by using a 2nd pass to capture the frames and in the first capture the input or motions. But I am not sure how it works with FLashPlayer 9 or 10 content as the last time I checked it was still in the Flash 8 aka FP 7/8 days.