Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female portrait WIP

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jaco polycounter lvl 17
I've been working on this off and on for the last 3 days in between work. It started as practice but I think I'm going to do something more with it, I've got a portrait style render in mind.

These renders are from zbrush. Any c&c would be much appreciated!

femhead_orho-1.jpg

femhead_render1.jpg

femhead_1.jpg

femhead_wire.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    she's cross eyed!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Shitballs! Don't know how I missed that, the eye texture is just temp though so try to ignore it...
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    lol, rotating the eyes outwards slightly is always fun to do :P

cool stuff man, love the photo kinda finish thing it's got going on.
    Any words/pics on how you got the details on there so nicely? (pweeeease :))

Anyway, looks aws dude. Any ideas on how you're gonna tackle the hair yet?

edit: oh and the eyes might be a little too far apart. General rule is the inner parts of the eye line up with the outer edges of the nose vertically (i know real ppl have more variation than that, but they look a tad on the wide side)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice Job Jaco!
    I agree with Nizza, that the eyes could probably be a tad closer together, because the distance should be roughly one eye apart, and the mouth edges should line up to the middle of the eye.
    A little closer with the eyes would get everything just right imo.
    Always great seeing work from you dude, keep going!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The overall headshape is kinda weird. Like her cranium is small compared to her jaw. I don't think its outside the limits of human morphology, but just catches my eye as being a bit oddly proportioned
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Looking very nice. I love the skin details.
    How are you painting in the hair and the eyebrows if you don't mind me asking?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually vailias has soem really good points.
    If you check it in side view a few things start to stand out more than others.

Chin/jaw and lower lip are a little far forward, forhead and top of the skull seem pretty high (guess you could be turning that part into hair tho).
    The front part of the face overall could be a little flatter too possibly, so less distance between the back of the jaw/ear and the very front plane of teh face if that makes sense.

Tho some/all of those points might just be personal preference or somthing man, still looks cool :P
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nizza: while I agree with you on the stuff you just mentioned, especially the jaw being forward. I also think that its all in the realm of possiblity also.
    Like most people have lips where the top one is slightly further forward than the bottom, but this is not the case on individuals with overbites.
    https://health.google.com/health/ref/Malocclusion+of+teeth

Anyways, if Jaco is trying to make an ideal female then these are things he should consider, but if he is working from a specific reference, then he might be spot on.

The eyes to me, are the only thing currently that would not be possible, or highly, highly unlikely.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments guys, I've fixed the distance between the eyes. The cranium shape is pretty squashed, but it'll be completely covered so I'm not worried about that. As for the other crits, I'm using a specific ref as Brad mentioned, and she has a bit of an overbite. I did soften the jaw line though.

Nizza_waaarg: For the details around important areas (eyes,mouth) I've mostly used the Dam standard brush, you can find it somewhere on this page. For skin pores I use the same brush, but set to spray. I also used a high pass filter in photoshop on the diffuse to create a bump map, which I then masked by intensity in zbrush and inflated. Let me know if I need to elaborate.

disanski: Thanks, I've just photo-sourced the hair and eyebrows, so no painting.

I've spent most of the day tweaking this farking SSS mental ray 'fast' skin shader, here are some of my results. The eyelashes look too thick because I haven't added the eye-liner yet, I think.

render_01.jpg

render_02.jpg

Process for the hair and cowl, sculpt in zbrush and retopo in topogun:

concept-3.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Wouldnt it be more productive if you export this in 3ds max, make 1 poly sphare and mirror it for eyes,and hair effects. There is actually a tutorial for that. By doing so, you will be able to have eyes look parallel and follow points..(I think) and also give this face impressions, real hair, and so on.

I have yet to experiment that but according to zbrush website it is possible.

Great work by the way, keep it up.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean Nitewalkr, but the eyes are spheres that were exported from max, I only used them during sculpting as a guide. Once I finished sculpting the mesh I made new eyes in max, with a look-at constraint so that they would follow the camera. I'm rendering the end result in max btw, not zbrush.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    You pretty much stated what I suggusted Jaco. Also, I suggusted that importing the model in the max and implementing real time hair on it would make the woman look almost real. Unless thats not what you intend to do.

Nice work though.
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woah Jaco- great work again!
    Nothing to criticize tbh, but could you tell me what is the matcap used in third image in the first post?
    thanks in advance!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks morte, that's just plain matcap pearl cavity I'm using, with the intensity turned down slightly (Material>Modifiers>IntensityA/B)
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    did you color in zbrush?
  • ima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ima polycounter lvl 8
    I think she could use a few more eyelashes on her upper eyelids tbh.
    Really like the 2nd images, didn't like the edges of the lips too much on the first one, and the areas where her mouth ends looks improved too.
    Great texture and model imo.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the explanation man, really cool effect.

Latest update looks great, really like the hair and cloth sculpt. Sexy mr renders too dude :) (I can never get my renders looking any good :P)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, latest version is looking much better, the cloth is a good start too. Nice way to avoid having to do too much hair, as well :)

Second to last image reminds me of Jorja Fox (from CSI and Memento).

Eye shader definitely still needs a bit of work, I think the reflection (or is that an environment cubemap?) is too strong and generic, try to do more with the specular and less with the reflection maybe?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    the eyes still seem crossed but not because of the texture or rotation. it is a fairly common modeling error i have seen before.

basically your eye lid corners are not placed properly. the corners with the tear ducts are not as deep as they should be while the outer corners of the eye lids are too deep. this causes the imbalance of the white parts of the eye balls, you got less white area near the tear duct and more white area on the outer side. just move the tear duct corner further in depth and problem should be fixed.

anyways, good modeling over all however she looks a bit generic female face and i would suggest you put some ethnicity or uniqueness to it.