Home General Discussion

what do you think about having a 3d logo

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
disanski polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys. Me and couple of friends are putting up a website for game characters and assets creation and I have an idea about the logo (just idea yet)
4206082448_e4505971e3_o.jpg

In order to related it somehow to our future work we discussed making it a 3d.
One version is to make it really cool with specular and normal maps and everything add some wear an tear on it , and the second version is to just make it a little more simple and clean (some MR materials) but still have it as a 3d element.
My main concern is that it could be too much if it is 3d and otherwise it is not really related to our work.
What do you guys think about it?
Edit :
The name of the website is www.Cuban8.info which is standing for aerobatic figure. That is why the propeller in the "C"

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    do you mean a rendered image of a 3d model as logo
    or embeded flash logo that rotates or something

both have their values, but if its too complex i would consider making it a masquot or something,
    because i dont know, logos somewhat are usually simple
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Arrangemonk
    I mean rendered image. Still.
    Or just out of marmoset with normal,specular, ao map....
    Yeaa this is what I am thinking as well. Could be too complicated.
    Sorry what is "masquot"
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i see no problem in rendered images as logos

i mean overloaded with complicated, things should get in mind easily i guess

maybe i typed it wrong as usual, but eddie from iron maiden for example is a masquot
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    as long as you get that horrible lens flare from the current site :P. http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68462
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    I dont see the point in adding a lot of detail in the logo. Making a good logo is all about how smart it describes what you do, and how well people remember you(r brand) by your logo.

Just google a few of those 'xx inspiring logos' lists and you'll see that hardly any of them have a lot of detail in them! http://www.attitudedesign.co.uk/50-inspirational-logo-designs/
    You are on the right track with the propellor illustrating aerobatics, but right now it is an extra layer on top of your logo, instead of an actual part of it.

Also this could be personal the whole scratched/industrial/rusty metal effect is almost as tacky as a lens flare if you ask me :p
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :)
    Thanks a lot guys.
    I am currently working on the 3d version of it but I think I am only doing it to prove myself that it is not the right option for me at least. I also have to keep in mind what the rest of the members prefer. :)
    Thanks also for the link. Some cool logos there.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo is a good example of a logo that translates well in 3D and 2D, there's a 2 spot silhouette for simple print branding.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tim.
    Is there a material or shader that will render like if it is a sketch? I am using 3ds max.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realize this is quiet boring subject but that is all I got for now :)
    Does this looks like something ?

4206661725_da5c471b52_o.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    it's kind of hard to recognize the propellers as being propellers. But I kinda like the C8 thingie, it's clever.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    When I looked at it I saw a pacman with a smiley eye and a weird mouth with heat waves coming off of it.

I think it would work better in 2d.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I didnt notice the 8 thing in there until like 20 seconds of starring at it. also the propellers dont read well like Japhir said. The inital sketch was way better and easily readable.

I think the entire site could use an overhaul because right now it looks really amateurish. the reel is tiny and flash based which is never a good idea. the font is defualt an the design of the overall look of the site reminds me of my grade 8 1st website where i was learning photoshop and wanted to have all the effects, lensflares and bevels everywhere. a simple sleek design with a large veiwspace on the portfolio would be far more attractive to prospective clients.

the content in the folio looks alright, le chuck is pretty cool, but something other than T-pose models of characters could help. also, I would scratch the levels section as it looks like something from a 90's tv show, and really isnt what I would be looking for from level artists for current level of quality work for environments. also, clicking the images takes me away from the site and to another persons website, which could make people just hire that one person instead. Finally, all the content lacks a unified presentation that adds to the amateur feel.

Hope this isnt all to blunt/harsh but its just my 1st impression/observation. Under your projects tab you have a bunch of mods listed but no shipped titles which shows a lack of industry expereince so I would consider removing it.

honestly with other outsourcing studios out there like liquid and 3 point I think you will have a hard time proving you can get a contract due to the lack of experience. I would focus on getting more high quality content in place rather than building a site and logo as thats what will get you work.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.
    Thanks PixelMasher. Every single word you laid down is exactly what I think and how I feel about it. In my defense the current site was done from one of the other members and this is how he pictured it in his head.
    I am also aware that we don't have any professional experience and I am not flying in space thinking that what we have there and the knowledge that we have so far will get us jobs. It is just the beginning of something that we hope in the time will happen if we continue putting more time and efforts on it. In the mean time we would probably pick up some other projects non game related. I am currently working just on my second character so I hope once I have lets say 20 done I could probably feel more confident. In the meantime we are trying to create more characters with higher quality and to participate in some interesting mods as we think this is a good beginning mainly because of the various and most of the time professionally oriented feedback.
    All of this means a lot to me.Thanks a lot for taking time helping me out.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is my last attempt on it for now :)
    4208027381_ae72f6cfc8_o.jpg

Any better?
    Back to the low poly of the character I am working on.
    Thanks.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Im just throwing this out there but here are some facts:

- Your identy in type is basically made of 3 circles
    - When a propellor spins really fast, it looks like a circle

Maybe you could do something with that? ;)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea.
    I will think about it and will try to come up with something. It is just not going to be now. Now I will need help with the low poly of my character :)
    Thanks a lot
  • kwabbott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small startups/indies always get crazy obsessed with their logos, as if it has something to do with whether they will be successful or not. It doesn't. Not one bit.

No company ever succeeded or failed due to its logo because people don't really care what the logo looks like (outside of design types). We recognize logos and equate them to the companies they represent but what they actually look like is not very important until your company is very, very big.

Keep it simple and don't waste time with it. Put you time into your product/service.
    If you grow you can always add a logo later, when you actually need it.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks kwabbott.
    I agree with that too spend too much time on it so far and it is not so important.
    I appreciate your opinion.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Remove the propeller from that last one,
    done.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how about more symetry :)
    crappy paintover but you get the idea