Home Technical Talk

How many polys can 3ds max handle?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
boyluya polycounter lvl 10
I know it depends on your system and ram, right? Just like zbrush I guess. I have a 32bit XP that has 3GB of RAM and a core2duo. What would be the maximun polycount my system can handle before max crashes? (In zbrush I think I can go up to 10mill polys). I'm starting to mess with hard-surface stuffs and I'm kinda surprised about the polycount that I'm getting, much bigger than I expected hehe. Thanks in advanced guys. :)

Replies

• SerdarDesign
    Why not trying it for yourself? :)

Polycount on Max depends on RAM...for example my system can handle 60-100 million polygons (smoothly)...and I have 8 gigs + 64bit.

32bit + 4 gigs ram = approx 30 Million polys (second system)
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Really... if your using that amount of polys, you should look into proxies and referencing.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    on 32bit XP i guess you'll hit the memory ceiling pretty quickly - 2GB of RAM per process if i'm not mistaken. max at work crashes "reliably" when it reaches that number - on a 3GB RAM system with the 3gig-switch set in the Boot.ini.

if you work on hard surface stuff you'll most likely use the modifier-stack - symmetry, smooth, shell, push, various tranforms,...? that will add REALLY quickly and render your scene unstable.

in short - don't do it! break up the scene, use proxies for geometry (and textures!) whenever you can and save early and often.
  • vargatom
    What really kills Max is the number of objects...
  • boyluya
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
  • Showster
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    My 10 cents, 2 gig ram + 64 bit OS I can do render to texture bakes of around 3.5 million tris. I can import more but it crashes out. On my 4 gig machine I can do prolly 5/6 million tris.

Remember the difference between the geometry count in Z-Brush and Max. Z-Brush is normally counted in polys so if you have 10 million polys in Z-Brush its often almost 20 million triangles in Max V_V.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Why not trying it for yourself? :)

Polycount on Max depends on RAM...for example my system can handle 60-100 million polygons (smoothly)...and I have 8 gigs + 64bit.

32bit + 4 gigs ram = approx 30 Million polys (second system)

100million tris in max? ill believe that when I see it.

my workcomp with 32bit system and 4gig ram can barely handle 1 million.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe no worries I'm sure he means thousands not millions :P Or maybe 600 000 to 1 000 000. But yeah Serdar these numbers don't make much sense :P
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    humm well depends... in vieport or n renderer? my biggest file was ~20mio quads, the renderer handles it with ease (scanline, dunno about MR) only thing you have to make sure is not to display it in realtime, to work with it you could easily just use a simpler proxygeo
  • vargatom
    64 bit and lots of RAM should help a lot.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I know people who use Max (myself included) and can regularly get up into the 10 million + poly range. Large amounts of RAM and 64-bit system running 64-bit Max definitely helps. I can believe that with 8gb RAM and a workstation graphics card you could have scenes in the tens of millions of polygons.

The amount of RAM is definitely going to be your limiting factor there, if you've only got 3GB and consider that probably close to 1gb of that is being used up by system and other processes, only 2gb to use on Max is gonna fill up pretty fast with lots of geometry.
  • Titus S
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    100million tris in max? ill believe that when I see it.

my workcomp with 32bit system and 4gig ram can barely handle 1 million.

I think you need to talk to your tech department and... kind of let them know that they're doing it wrong.

4 gigs in a 32 bit system? Are they trying to mock you?
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10

HA, never gets old

Yeah and a 32 bit system can only handle 3 gigs of ram so if you have 4, your pc is only using 3 gigs AND it should only be telling you there is 3 gigs in it.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Actually you can get upto around 3.6 gigs with a switch in your boot.ini
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Here, with Quadro, and max 2009 64 bits + maxtreme, 20+ millions of polygons (tris) with 4 gb ram (i was limited due to the ram, but now i have a better workstation, and with more ram, but who cares now! hahaha). In edit mode, i can easily edit and load obj models of 6+ millions of tris.
  • carlo_c
    Yeah, what blaizer said over here pretty much too and I'm running a 8800GT instead of quadro.

I've pushed 26 million tri's in the viewport before using bounding boxes for the viewing mode and being very, very patient. Was just testing stuff really when this topic came up before but yeah I managed to bake an AO and normal map with r2t mental ray too.
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    When it comes to rendering it depends on a lot of factors besides mere polycount, especially on a 32bit system.
    E. g. What renderer and how it it set up, number of lights, what kind of shadows, number of objects, instances vs individual meshes, size and number of texturemaps and so on. Plus the question if you can get it to render in a reasonable time with the means at hand.
    Now with 64bit and a lot of ram you are far less limited concerning the data size but time has still to be considered.