Home Technical Talk

Roll axis error in MotionBuilder

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
Hi polycounters!

I have some problems with MotionBuilder. When Im characterizing my character i get an error message : "Geometry warning: LeftArmRoll is 99.10 degrees away from it´s roll axis." If i choose "Ignore" the animation will get messed up on the forearms.

I cant really see how this bone can be so off? And how do I fix this problem??

The mesh is rigged with CharacterStudio and got twistbones on the arms.

Heres a picture of the bonesetup in MB and the twist error:

mberrors.jpg

Hopefully someone here got some solutions, thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What version of Max and Motionbuilder?

Are you using their template to characterize the biped? I don't think they set it up to include twist bones. It might be something funky with the way their higherarchy. Biped has all kinds of hierarchy issues with MB.

Under Modifiers > Roll Extraction > Roll Solver, try setting it to 7.5. In MB7.5 they added a fix for roll bones I think it was specific to biped but they default to 7.0 because every other rig works better on the old settings.

I haven't used biped roll joints in MB so its just a shot in the dark based on what I remember reading ages ago... I don't have MB installed at home otherwise I would do some more checking/testing. Hope it helps...
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The versions of Max and MB are both 2010

Im using the biped template to characterize. Under Character Defintion there is a section called Roll wich has slots for LeftArmRoll and LeftForArmRoll.

Changing to 7.5 seems to help a little bit. Will test some more.

I´ll send you a pm with a link to the fbx file if you wanna play around with it.

Anyways thanks a lot Vig for your help!!! Really appreciated!!
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread. It seems like its hard to find info or a solution for this problem so if anyone in the future have the same problem these links might help a bit:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=85&t=743070&highlight=Geometry+warning
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=85&t=693775&highlight=Geometry+warning

It seems like the problem is not in MotionBuilder but in the 3d app where you created your bones.