Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D to the Maximus!!

Hey guys and gals my name is Clint and i've been a long time viewer (and member) of Polycount and just never brought myself to post. I am a recient graduate from the Art Institute of Phoenix and i am currently working as an Intern at a company called VirTra making 3D characters for military and police combat simulators.

So, that's me in a nut shell! Anyway! Here's my latest terrorist. Rip me apart, i need to get better! Thanks!

Tri Count: 9,471
Texture Size: 2048 x 2048

Terrorist_03_Front_.jpg
Terrorist_03_Back.jpg
Terrorist_03_Front_Wires.jpg
Terrorist_03_Back_Wires.jpg
Male03_New_D.jpg
Male03_New_N.jpg
Male03_New_S.jpg

Replies

• DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I'm no character artist but that tri count seems pretty high for the amount of detail you have on that model.

Textures look great though, is most of this all hand painted?
  • Clintus Maximus
    Thanks! Most of it is photo ref and touched up by hand.

As for the poly count that's just shy of 5,000 polys. Alot of that is in the vest and gloves. The knife on the side of his leg is a little too high poly for its purpose and it's mirrored, so i can see where there is some waste there.
  • mLink
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    You could definitely use a bit of optimization on the whole model, especially the boots.

Tri Count: 9,471?
    For actually using in a game, that's pretty high for the amount of detail that you have on the model.
    The texture would benefit from a lot more detail being painted into it (fold highlights/shadows, dirt/grime/oil, etc.) You said there's a 2k, but it doesn't look like more than a 512 or 1k.
    on the cloth parts, break up the obvious repeating pattern. I can see where the texture was tiled. Try using some more color variation on all of the texture. Think about the gradients in colors, even on simple cloth. Where can you put some subtle contrasting colors to draw the viewer's eyes to where you want?
  • AsaNYC
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    I'm just learning this stuff too, so take this with a grain of salt!
    1. Knees and elbows don't seem to be built for deformation. Hips/booty neither
    2. The boots seem to be built straight up, while the legs are set wider than hip-width meaning that the boots will be crooked and might look awkward when he's running/walking.
    3. I also reiterate the previous lighting mention. You might wanna paint in some folds and wrinkles to help break up the static nature of the textures.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    looks like you have folds in the normal map, but it isnt showing up at all in your renders.
  • bbob
    Give it a slight bit of specularity, and the folds will become visible..
  • Clintus Maximus
    Thanks for the crits and tips guys! Unfortunately this is a piece for my internship and my boss wants me to move on. I will go back to it later if i have time, but im not sure if/when i will be able to.

As for the animation deformation comment, i don't have much experience there either. What would you suggest changing so that it was more animation friendly?

Texture Update!
    Male03_New_02_D-1.jpg
    Male03_New_S-2.jpg
    New_Alt_Front_03.jpg
    New_Alt_back_03.jpg