Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warior - my second humanoid :)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
disanski polycounter lvl 14
Hey everybody. I have been browsing this forum for a while and I must say it is great community you guys have here. I have already learned tons of stuff from here. First time actually posting something. This is the finished (for now) high poly. I planned to add some more hard surface stuff on to him but I failed, because I have to learn a lot more about sub - d modeling, so it is pretty simple. Just practicing so far. Also not very happy with the eyes ... :) I still believe when I complete few more of those I will start getting them closer to what they should be. Currently working on the low poly. Updates should be coming soon. Any C&C are very very needed and welcome :)
Thanks.
4185190775_58e6b1c8bd_b.jpg
4185950528_936b5f9e89_o.jpg4185190621_e236c36fea_o.jpg

Replies

• Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    The only thing I want to bring up is the low riding panties in the back. They don't look practical or flattering ;)

Not bad for a first post!
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    For a second attempt, that's some sexy product! I like the armor, was it original with concept? Or used already made reference?
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    He Zilk. You re right. Btw this should be like metal ( which does not make it look more practical :) ) I had to find a way to end the front part of the armor going under between his legs so ... :) There was a concept but was not done by me. It is for a troubleshoot mod and I am not sure if I can post it here. Any way I changed a lot of things and just tried to keep the idea. Will post the concept if I can.
    I am also deciding on the colors.
    I was kind of thinking to make the metal parts kind of black ( like a gun ) and not sure for the rest of it . Open to any suggestions for the colors :)

I should also mention that recently I finished Jon's Rush modern game character creation online class which is the best investment I have done for a long long time.
    Here is my first attempt during the class.
    4185420651_c3a8265c64_b.jpg4186178618_bfe310765c_o.jpg4185420393_1017d13b1f_o.jpg

I was not planing to post that one but any way is not so bad :)
    I also have to say thanks to

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=1021379&posted=1#post1021379

him as well because of his explanation about the workflow.

Thanks guys

P.S anybody can recommend a good tutorial about painting sculpted hair? Or even better how to make it with alpha cards - for the next character. :)
    I hope i am done with the low poly very soon.
  • ES_139
    such a big fan of the dig, cant remember her having that gem in her stomach though? any plans to do any of the others, maybe brink with his hand stuck.....
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    Heyy ES_139 . I have not really played to may games especially recently because I don't have any free time, but this game was by far my favorite game. There were not many games like it. This was actually the assignment of the workshop : Remake of a retro video game character so I picked up this one. :)
    If you remember how she die and they had to bring her to life with them crystals. Well after that she became addicted to them and she killed herself again. This was the first ending ( the bad ending) . I took it from there and she is supposed to have this device in her stomach made from the aliens living on that planet so she can use the crystals which are keeping her alive.
    I don't think I am doing any of the others though. I have better idea for the next character :) Perhaps after that :)
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    Merry Christmas everybody.
    Damn you holidays just wasted 4 days :(
    Any way I started the lowpoly for my character and here are few screengrabs from this very early stage.
    If you guys see anything wrong with it so far please let me know.
    I have few areas that I marked which I am not sure about. I found a lot of great examples but not sure how you guys go from a area with very dense amount of polygons like the face to an area with a lot less polygons - like the neck. I know triangles are fine but not sure when to use them. This is one area I could not find a lot of well done examples so I am not sue if it is looking good.
    Thanks everybody.

4222288096_7e57aa7a08_o.jpg
    4222288094_5866e4def1_b.jpg
    4222288098_44c322d5c1_o.jpg
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again .
    I am almost done with it for now I think even if I was told, that have to improve the texturing. Just not sure exactly how ... What do you guys think ? Next I am planing to just do some hard surface modeling and perhaps sculpting and texturing just to get to the basic of the stuff because doing a full character is very ....long process for me. I think I could learn more if I go back to more simple things considering I am very new to this.
    Thanks4278932743_db2b3caeed_b.jpg
    4278932747_662a837c71_b.jpg

4278932757_cdb13628c5_o.jpg

4278932751_131eb30e2e_o.jpg
  • natetheartist
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    his haircut doesn't exactly scream warrior
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Natetheartist you are right about this i was not thinking about this when doing the hair. I was just going for hair :) thanks good call
  • achillesian
    if you changed his name to cyber or synthetic warrior the hair would probably work...

Also dont like the weird buttstrap
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    reminds me of the centurions. just give him a magnum P.I. 'stash
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    It is not really so bad is it :)
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    Right I noticed you guys did not like it ( i did not like it so much either) so I worked some more on the colors and textures and this is what I came up with so far

Any better?

4304929495_ac4e63abdd_o.jpg4304929501_c9497e59d8_o.jpg4304929505_61f70d84d7_o.jpg4304929503_483bd61245_o.jpg
  • Hitez
    I really like it now, a smooth mix of sci-fi and fantasy warrior. I kinda dig the 80's spaceman haircut. I think the checkered pattern looks good, however, it feels like it was just slapped in there. you could probably find a more fitting place for it.
  • JaySmitt
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, BIG difference by simply changing the textures! Looks a lot better.
  • achillesian
    much better, but from the one perspective shot the scratches on the chest look more like grey pubic hairs than scratches.

Depending on the characters backstory that may or may not be what your going for...
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hitez, Jay Smith, achillesian.
    For the checkered pattern I was trying to separate where the shoulder armor starts but I see your point. And for the scratches yes perhaps they are just too many of them and that appeared just after I added them to the normal map :) Such a big difference just by doing that I could not believe it :) . I am pretty happy how it looks even when I looked at it today because it kind of looks different from when you have been staring at it for a lot of hours. Thanks guys.

P.S. oo yeaa marmoset rocks