Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some critiques on this tile texture castle...

Hey guys, some of you know about my final I'm working on trying to create Theed, Naboo... All I have to do now is just texture out this castle, a hangar, and an interior (simple stuff really). But I want to know your guy's opinion on some ways of making these textures look more realistic. Cards? Blend?

Also if you guys can also just slightly make a tiny tutorial explaining how you would do it just so I can understand your process, that would be great.

Here are some shitty renders with no lighting.

Do note... I KNOW these look like shit and don't plan on calling it no where near done.

Peace

castle1l.jpgcastle2.jpgcastle3.jpg

Replies

• Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the thing that stands out most to me is that the big dome in the middle needs to be textured radially like the rest of the domes
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dippndots wrote: »
    the thing that stands out most to me is that the big dome in the middle needs to be textured radially like the rest of the domes

Yeah I tried doing it radially... But it's just acting retarded and it has all sorts of stretching even though I'm relaxing it and what not.

Anyone else have some feed back? I really would appreciate the help, this building is what will be selling the scene and I don't want it to fall short on awesome.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model looking promising, guys here can help more if you post wireframes.. but its just texture help you are after?

the brick look wrong size ... make them smaller to suit the scale?

okay... am sure i have some bookmarked tutorials i can dig links to help... what exactly do you need to know? Or is that what you need to know?!

Be back soon ...
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=53002&page=2

this thread leads to many many things

Stephen Morrell - am sure he got some super tutorials for enviros... google him

And that buildinh from naboo... is gears of war esque ... am sure there's tutorials around the web from that link based on their work... modular stuff... if you can get Unreal Tournament 3 and peek how their assets are made up?
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=53002&page=2

this thread leads to many many things

Stephen Morrell - am sure he got some super tutorials for enviros... google him

And that buildinh from naboo... is gears of war esque ... am sure there's tutorials around the web from that link based on their work... modular stuff... if you can get Unreal Tournament 3 and peek how their assets are made up?

Hey thanks for the help :P

The geometry part is fine, I'm ok with it. It's just the texturing part of it. I was hoping someone knew a way to make realistic looking buildings with tile textures. I'm assuming I'm going to have to use blend on this beotch a lot with some grime and other crap. But is that really all there is to it? Maybe also add a handful of cards and what not...

I guess it's just overall lighting that will sell this thing... Once I put it in a scene with nice lighting it should look better.

Here's an update... It still looks bad, but i need to move on, I still need to fix that top dome....

Anyone know why it looks bad? xDrender2l.jpg
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    hey titus!

looking good man! more contrast and some ao cards! GOGOGOGO!
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita wrote: »
    hey titus!

looking good man! more contrast and some ao cards! GOGOGOGO!

Thanks Eric :P Willllllllll doooooooooooooooooooo...

I just don't have a lot of time to make it beautiful... I definitely will polish it up over break and put it in UDK and maybe in my folio :P
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Well right away I can tell that you are using a tiled texture. Depending on what you are going for baking AO into your diffuse could do wonders. Adding a normal map, and it doesn't look like it has a specular. Needs dirt, and grime more wear and tear.

There is NO easy way to texture, it takes time and a lot of tweaking. I agree that the bricks need to be smaller to match the scale of the building.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis wrote: »
    Well right away I can tell that you are using a tiled texture. Depending on what you are going for baking AO into your diffuse could do wonders. Adding a normal map, and it doesn't look like it has a specular. Needs dirt, and grime more wear and tear.

There is NO easy way to texture, it takes time and a lot of tweaking. I agree that the bricks need to be smaller to match the scale of the building.

But... How would I bake an AO with all that geo? I would have to pack everything to 1's and 0's one a second uv right? And then make a big ass map for it on a multiply layer eh?

Also, dirt and grime = more cards?

And I do have a normal map on there... For some reason it's weak as hell, I'll probably re do this over break and see how that goes. And yes, I didn't put spec on the bricks them self. I'll do that to the roofing though.

Thanks for the input
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I certaintly would look into decals for this piece, it will help break it up a hell of a lot.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Bake AO to vertex colours.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off to a decent start.

a few things:
    - Change the background color of your opacity mapped planes to match the color of the plant life. Especially if you're opacity map is not alpha test.
    TreePlanesExplained00.jpg
    1) Mismatched background leads to a pronounced boarder.
    2) Matching boarder leads to a nice blend.
    3) Adding a gradient overlay helps fake shadowing.

- The moss around the bottom seems to be stretching and ignoring the square supports?

- The roof is pretty distracting there has to be something that can be done.

- The brick color variation could be intensified, it kind of blurs into a sandy
    solid color. Maybe strengthen seams between the bricks and wear the corners of the bricks a little bit to help highlight the bricks?

- Construction methods? You have a straight brick texture applied to arches. Normally bricks are stacked in a way to transfer the load to the ground. It's what give an arch its strength. Stacked bricks cut to form an arch are not as strong as an actual arch and would probably not be used as a buttress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch

Remember you're not just building with polygons and applying textures, you're recreating buildings using proven construction methods that are grounded in the world you're trying to create.