Home Technical Talk

Problem with Multi Sub (3DsMax)

So I have a multi sub and I have 2 materials on there (#1 and 2). When I change an objects mat id to say 1, and apply material #1 to it instead of doing so, it automatically changes the object ID back to 2 (or whatever it was standard).

Anyone know why it's doing that?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How are you changing the material IDs, and what does your modifier stack look like? It could be multiple modifiers "fighting".
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How are you changing the material IDs, and what does your modifier stack look like? It could be multiple modifiers "fighting".

I'm changing the material id from element/polygon mode.... And my modifier stack is empty.

I found a temporary solution and that is dragging the material from the MSO to the object itself... It doesn't change the objects actual ID, but I don't give a shit at this time.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, it could be then that your material itself has a ton of IDs. When you apply materials by drag-n-drop onto selections of faces, then Max creates a Multi/Sub-Object material automatically, but it often does a poor job, making a mess of a material, with a ton extra IDs, or with a M/SO material nested inside another.

To check for this, select your mesh object, go to an empty slot in the Material Editor, and Get Material, From Selected, and load the material you find. I bet it's got either nested M/SO materials, or more material IDs than you want.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, it could be then that your material itself has a ton of IDs. When you apply materials by drag-n-drop onto selections of faces, then Max creates a Multi/Sub-Object material automatically, but it often does a poor job, making a mess of a material, with a ton extra IDs, or with a M/SO material nested inside another.

To check for this, select your mesh object, go to an empty slot in the Material Editor, and Get Material, From Selected, and load the material you find. I bet it's got either nested M/SO materials, or more material IDs than you want.

The method that I posted before was a last resort method... I never material like that, but it got it working and got me moving.

I'll try your theory right now :P

Thanks for the comments

EDIT: Wooo, it worked fine this time xD I knew I had a material on it... (the first orb just the stock color) But I overwrote that orb with the MSO... So I don't know what really caused it. But at least now I know how to fix it!